Shit doctors say

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Panda, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Panda

Panda Fuzzy critter

This is a little thread to complain about all the insensitive and unhelpful things professionals say about mental health.

I'll start off with two stories:

1. When I was 16 years old and in inpatient treatment for recidivist moderate depressive episodes (my third inpatient stay at this point) my therapist/psychiatrist (he did both) told me that the key to getting rid of my depression would be to take a few moments to smile at myself in the mirror each day.
    And I don't mean additionally to say, medication or also exploring other coping mechanisms, this was his only suggestion.

2. Yesterday after having a blood test done because I was sleeping much more than usual and never feeling rested the doctor that told me that my blood test showed nothing out of the norm also told me "We all get tired in the winter" and "We all get stressed from time to time."

And I'm not even sure how many times I've heard that I just need a routine or that I just need to go for more walks...

• Witnessed x 9
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice