Should all the boards be private?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Gardenia, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Gardenia

Gardenia I could be burned at the stake for all my mistakes

I'd say there's a serious case for it.

2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Huh. I'd be interested in hearing the case for it.

Subforums like Make It So, General Chatter, and It's Galley's Turn are the first ones I can think of where I do not see a benefit to making them private.

*eta fixed the name of the second subforum.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. Gardenia

I'd argue that, as these boards almost all concern very private matters, they all be made private. I'd definitely like to see the gender, ASD, and "brains" forums private, along with possibly intros, as, in the intro forum, people're disclosing personal things about themselves. Correct me if any of those are already private.

I'd like to hear some older users' perspectives.

4. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

Well, like. How's a new person going to know if Kintsugi is for them if they can't see any of it before they join?

• Like x 2
  5. swirlingflight

Ehhh, I don't find that convincing. Part of the ideal of this community is that it's an open community. Anyone can come here, anyone can see anything, anyone can participate. The boards that are private are private, not because the things are private and personal and secret, but so search bots can't browse them and archive the pages.

Subforums like General Advice and Brainbent are not private precisely so anyone can browse them and take information without the delay of registering in order to see them. Things in the Intro forum, people are choosing what they share.

And like, for my most sensitive stuff that I don't want connected to this username, I have a subaccount that I use.

ETA: But I would see the benefit of having a subforum in the bottom section, for all the more sensitive topics, so people have the option of posting about it in one of the private subforums.

• Like x 3
  6. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Then, uh, please make your case? You have literally provided zero argument, convincing or otherwise.
    ETA: I should refresh the page before postign sometimes.

The thing is people are aware of which forums are public and which aren't and if you make all the subforums that make kintsugi the community it is private it will be really hard for people to figure out if they can or should join? And the subaccount things has already been mentioned.

• Like x 1
  7. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

XX/XY, FID, ITA and Top Serket already private. We have Top Serket for anything else that someone may want private so I don't really see the point of making everything private. Mostly if anyone has wanted something private, they've made a thread in Top Serket

We could use some better indication as to which forums are private though

• Like x 10
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

which do you mean by asd? wrt the other ones, they aren't private because the forum was started as a way for seebs to not have to talk to people through tumblr, and a lot of the topics they'd help with pertained to the subforums you listed. with them open, anyone can come in and get an answer without having to register or ask something that's already been asked.

basically what swirlingflight said, except i'm not as good at words.

9. Gardenia

Mm. I just worry that, with the amount of very personal info that gets flung around here, somebody's going to get "caught". Hey, what do I know?

10. swirlingflight

I'm not sure what "caught" means. I am interested in knowing what you know, though! Part of the appeal of this forum is that most of us aren't like people on Tumblr, who want to shut down conversation. We point out inconsistencies and gaps for the sake of getting them filled. So if we're saying "no, that doesn't sound right," we're not telling you that you shouldn't voice an opinion. Just that it doesn't make sense to us yet.

• Like x 3
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

you know, your concerns have made me think maybe someone should start a general intro thread in top serket? that way anyone who hasn't made one for fear of it being searchable can if they want.

• Like x 4
  12. Gardenia

Thank you. Sorry if I seemed to sulk there. My issue re: privacy is that I'm worried about people who aren't publicly known as being of their gender/sexuality or having their mental issues inadvertently outing themselves here. A lot of us here seem very idiosyncratic and would be easy to track down.

13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

My only worry about making the entire forum private is also sort of the reason why I wouldn't mind if it was entirely private, which is all paranoia on my part. I think I trawled the forums for about three weeks with my s/o telling me about things that happening in the private ones before I got up the ability to make an account. Not having access to any of the forums or a concrete idea of the community could make someone already vulnerable shy away, because even if the forums seem sympathetic on the front end, without an idea of how people interact in reality you can set yourself up for some seriously toxic shit.

You have a point about people possibly tracking someone down/being outed, but there aren't any major hurdles to stop someone from joining in general, so if someone was going to go through the effort to see if [Kintsugi Member] was on here and posting, that wouldn't be solved by making everything private. As far as I know, all the most vulnerable subforums are already private anyways.

• Like x 1
  14. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

The way I see it, is that we have spaces for people to talk about things they want to keep private. The rest kinda boils down to personal responsibility about what information they post and where.

• Like x 2
  15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

There are people who have been concerned with that in the past (specifically a couple of users from abusive households worried about their parents seeing which is IMO way more significant a risk than a random internet busybody); those users made the decision themselves to post mostly/entirely in the stashed forums. There are also people who are not out-trans to the general internet who only posted about the matter in genders/top serket. Others intentionally use names disconnected from their usual identities.

The relative transparency of Kintsugi is, IMO, part of the point, as it is the extension of seebs' blog and thus (again, my opinion) falls under the same "record-keeping" philosophy. I also think you're being perhaps a bit on the paranoid side? Like, the idea that people around here aren't choosing already what to share for themselves puts me a bit on the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh side and ruffles my feathers a little. There's no You Must Disclose XYZ About Yourself requirements. We don't even force people to post intros.

(Though given how many folks we have around here who are into NSFW RP, @seebs adding a locked RP subforum may be a good idea.)

• Like x 4
  16. swirlingflight

I mean, I've expressed worry that people are pressuring themselves to post detailed intros, because they expect they're necessary. But I know I'm paranoid, so I need more than my worry about it to see it as something to take action on.

17. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I think most of the people in danger of this have made accounts which can't be linked back to their IRL or public identities

• Like x 1
  18. Gardenia

I'd like to see Brainbent be made private, at any rate. No idea why it isn't already?

19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

it was made to be the Group Hug section for a homestuck au of the same name on tumblr, when the group hugs sent in by people who followed the au were getting too long/intense to be posted on the blog itself (i think? my reason may be wrong, you'd have to ask the brainbent folks to be sure). so yeah it was made for everyone to be able to access without having to sign up on the forum.

• Like x 1
  20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Yeah, Brainbent turned into a general listing/venting thread place, but I don't think that was the original intent?

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice