Should I tell my sister about my mom?

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by mizushimo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

My mom has been having pretty bad mental problems for the past 15 years and I have told no one.

The summary: she fell in love with a guy who was doing phone fundraisers when he called about donating money to something or anothet. She talked to him twice. Ever since then, she has been convinced that he is a severly mentally ill soul traveler who now spends most of his time in her head. The first few years, she was convinced that she was helping him get better by helping rediscover his alters. Before the mental illness stuff came out, she was convinced that he was visiting her in her dreams and that he was going to come and whisk her away. She was certain that he made plans to pick her up..I think it was thanksgiving. I remember leaving on vacation without her, and being pretty sure that she wouldn't be there when I came back. That dad and I would have to fend for ourselves..I think I was 19?

15 years later and he's still her constant companion. She can't get rid of him because she invited him in. A new age exorcism that she had a few years ago worked, but it let a new character in who was much worse. Eventually he came back. Anyway, therea all this stuff built up over the years and I don't think I've ever told another soul. I..don't really know why? It's such an old secret. I've been my mom's confidante since I was 11, I was her only nearby friend for most of my life. It got bad at first, I remember her pacing around the yard, scared because he was mentally attacking her. I had her committed to our local hospital for about a week when it all started. It was one of the most horrible, saddest times of my life. I was eaten up by guilt, but I said nothing to anyone.

Now she's had this character for 15 years, she has long, one-sided conversations with him every day. She doesn't talk about him with me because I can't handle it anymore, but I know he's still there. Now she's getting older, she blames medical problems on him. The problem is that if his meddling caused them, there's no cure so she won't seek treatment.

There's nothing anyone can do, absolutely nothing. I feel like telling my sister would be cruel and pointless? Should I have told her sooner instead of treating this like a shameful secret? Mom has never forbidden me from telling anyone.. I just, couldn't fathom revealing it? But..idk, I have to protect mom from ridicule?? I've come to realize that my mom's problems have been a huge weight on me and it would be nice to tell another family member. I don't want to be mom'said defectors secret keeper, I dont.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice