Should there be a new private Subforum?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Ouija, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

In The A Is For Advice/Analysis/Argumentation, last night I wanted to post something to Braaaaiiiinnnns... that was very controversial in general topic but also something I was completely aware was bad. I didn't want it publicly known, but the only private subforums didn't fit (it wasn't autism related, it wasn't abuse because i wasn't acting on it, and it has nothing to do with sex/gender)

I see a lot of people tend to ask the "what brainweird do I have" and other "is this a bad thing" related topics, which might make people uncomfortable to have be searchable to an outside source.

I guess my logic is that the autism thread is set to private, so why wouldn't Brains be? Or Brainbent, actually.

The entire forum section itself seems to need privatizing (aside from "general advice") if that were the case.

I dunno. I was really uncomfortable with the idea I wasn't able to post in the thread because I wasn't presented the option of having it be both unsearchable and in the right section, so I was left to my own devices and ended up being twitchier in the end for it due to my inability to see a solution (thanks, brainweird).

• Like x 1
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i think top serket is what you're looking for

3. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

It is not.

I was looking for advice/analysis, not a "general secret" board.

4. unknownanonymous

you can get advice/analysis there, though. i think people already have, actually.

5. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

further clarification: these are not thoughts I would share with the general public, but people who can either offer advice or share solidarity in this problem.

for the same reason people avoid the witness me board i do not want to "invade" the general secret thread: comfort for the general public.

• Like x 1
  6. unknownanonymous

oh. well, you could put a trigger warning in the title, maybe.

7. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I still don't see the reason the autism board has been privatized but the brainweird-related boards are not, then.

• Like x 3
  8. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I actually saw this topic come up before, specifically "Shouldn't brainbent be privatized since it's been used as a vent board and that's become the norm?"

So my problem with being told "top serket is just as good" is, sure, it's also a private board, but it's purpose has become (whether intended or not) to be a general "controversial topics" not related to brain issues.

Things like "Dead Dove Do Not Eat" which involves unsavory topics such as rape, death, drug abuse, etc, The Kink and Sex Talk threads that can sometimes include interest in "bad" things like non and dubcon, and the "I like a thing people don't" are all fine because while they definitely belong behind the curtain where the general google search robots can't get them (and thus archive them to be searchable on the internet unless you're on this thread and logged in), none of them are on the same level as the self-harm megathread, abuse from therapists, feeling like you're half a person because of your brainweird, etc.

It's become a square/rectangle argument. They all deserve to be in the private rectangle peg if they choose, but that doesn't mean they will fit in the square peg if they're a rectangle.

• Like x 1
  9. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

seconding this. it doesn't make sense to me either.

• Like x 3
  10. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I had to check to see if the autism forum really way private, that's an odd decision to me. But yeah, in that case maybe everything except maybe General Advice should be private. I certainly think Brainbent should be because of the potential for trouble if something said while venting ends up outside the forum

• Like x 4
  11. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Should I report OP so an admin sees and weighs in? Aside from the chatter in the thread I've had a couple friends too twitchy to make posts here agree that privatizing those boards should be taken into consideration (im letting them stay anonymous for their peace of mind, but there were two and it was after I specifically linked them the thread asking for a reality check on whether or not I sounded like an asshole for asking about this, so it wasn't an out of the blue "i saw the thread you made and" sort of observation).

12. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i don't mind doing it, but i'm not sure what reasons seebs had for making various things private or not private, so let's give seebs a day or two to weigh in. if there's no objection i'll go ahead and privatize.

• Like x 2
  13. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

The autism forum was marked private because I don't remember why. The brainbent forum is not-private because it was originally intended to be a fan hangout for readers of the Brainbent stuff. Either could change just fine.

14. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Ah, okay.

I knew of Brainbent's original purpose, and that's why I made the point of how it became a mental health vent thing.

general consensus seemed to be only general chat didn't need to be privatized, but the others probably should be? I'm sure autism board had a reason to be private, even if that reason has been forgotten, but if it gets changed I don't see a personal objection to that? I can't come up with a reason to protest.

15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I personally feel like the advice forums should be mostly non-private, because of the chance of people coming here searching for advice on those things but not wanting to post? I feel like brainbent (because Vent) and ITA (because of the very private nature of abuse shit and the fact that some people have 'no privacy ever at all' on the list of the abuse on them) are the only ones that should be private, though I suppose I can understand why people might feel the need to private XXXY.

• Like x 1
  16. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

the reason xx/xy is private is because some people aren't out of the closet yet, and thus dont have the privacy to talk about stuff like that, even though it's not abuse. Maybe they have a great relationship with this person(s), but if they left the closet it would come crashing down, etc. Hence, not abuse, but not safe to publicize.

so xx/xy should be private for that reason alone, i think.

would things be better cut into even smaller subsections, like a private xx/xy and a nonprivate one, for example? How micromanaging is too much?

Should a new board just be made for catchall private brainweird topics and leave the others alone? The concern of Brainbent still being potentially touch-and-go is still a thing, so would it be made private and the new board be public?

I don't know. I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just saying the first thing to come to mind and not proofreading.

17. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I suggest a "Brainweird" that is private and leave Brainbent alone since it has a purpose that is not private. The "Braaiiiiinnns" sub doesn't seem to exactly fit what the OP wants.

Edit: Plus, having the public version of a sub for brainweirds can be handy for showing explorers that we're all nuts here and they would be welcome, so leave "Braaaiiiins" alone (nope, I have no idea how many letters are repeated in that and I'm not going looking).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    • Like x 1
  18. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I'm erring on the side of privatizing mental health and gender things because a lot of those things are very personal. It'd be better if there was a way to show that the subforums exist without showing the contents when you're logged out. Making seperate private and public subforums for everything would just get confusing. What would you even do with some of the longer discussion threads? Have one in each subforum?

I'm not certain what exactly is meant by the purpose of Brainbent being "a fan hangout for readers of the Brainbent stuff" but the purpose its used for now (vent threads) is something I think should be private whether that involves making Brainbent private or moving vent threads to a private subforum

• Like x 2
  19. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

this is basically my thoughts, and why i was going "micromanaging is too picky at this point probably but how do we appease everyone?" since some were on the fence, some were on one side, and some on the other.

I wanted to put my original topic in brains because i didnt want to vent, i wanted to have a discussion of why i was doing this thing and how could i fix the thing if temporarily. i had already vented to my girlfriend and i didnt want to make a show of it on a forum where i would turn it into a performative piece and regret it later (not that venting on a forum is that, since i have made a vent thread before, but that's how i would have made this particular topic go).

so brains was exactly what i wanted, but it wasnt private and i did not want it searchable, but neither was brainbent private for me to go "second best" so to speak.

20. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

I might just be being bad at parsing things, but just in case,
    there are two types of private forums, private where they do not show up at all, and private where the forums description and title show up, but you cannot enter into any of it.

I think that making the AAA section all the second one (cept general advice) would fix the privacy issue (i think??) and also keep it there for new joiners to see and consider before joining up

I do not know if the second one makes things unsearchable on google/etc, but I am 99% sure that it means non members cant view the threads themselves

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice