Should there be a new private Subforum?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Ouija, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I logged out to see an example of what you meant, but I didn't see it.

Just everything marked private left as private. No option to even see it (aka the first example). Are you talking about what the forum type can do in general, in that case?

2. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

It used to be like that. Idk if the update changed that or if the software can still do the thing

3. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

At some point seebs changed the XX/XY and ITA forums to private private
    It used to be a thing, was changed manually before the update, but i have no idea if it is still a thing we could possibly do.
    but yeah, before they were changed, XX/XY and ITA would show titles and descriptions, but wouldnt show latest thread or let you go into it

You;d have to ask seebs or jacktrash if it is still a feature {:I

4. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Not everything except General Advice.

The RP threads don't need to be private. Many of us don't want them to be.

• Like x 1
  5. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

No one was talking about anything outside of the "Triple A" Subforum?

• Like x 1
  6. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I think @Mala meant in the AAA section, not the whole thing.

I disagree even with that because some explorers want to see that they are "acceptable" here compared to other forums that are hostile to people like me (for example). I post publicly about being a nut, but there are a lot of people who are afraid to because of backlash.
    BrainBent as it was intended should remain public.
    There needs to be a public "Braaiiiinnnns" type sub for things we don't feel we need to hide and can show explorers that odd people are welcome here.
    There just needs to be a private version of it for reasons of private and non-searchable by bots.

7. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

'Kay wait @Lissa Lysik'an I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you only 'cuz I get easily and incredibly turned around.

Brainbent used to be about the actual "Brainbent," but is now a general Brain-related vent subforum. "Braaaaaains" is about Brain-related mental/physical "why he do that" subforum.

Is brainbent the one you definitely mean, and not brains? I would concede that brains doesnt necessarily need to be private, but a lot of brainbent is raw emotion that people feel good about posting in the moment, but may want to be private when theyre in a more rational headspace.

8. Lissa Lysik'an

I mean BrainBent should go back to what it was - see BrainBent on tumblr.
    A vent thread I don't know - it's not something that I can relate to very well since venting leads to meltdowns for me (moods always spiral to extremes so must be mediated, not encouraged/reinforced). Probably good to have one, though.
    But the OP wanted something like "Braaiinns" that wasn't public, and I can see the value in both allowing a public version and a private version. There are those of us willing to discuss our oddities in public and there are those of us that aren't. Reasons.

9. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I am OP. I had admitted if I had the option to and brains was not private, I would have used brainbent because, even if I see it as a place for mental/physical woes and venting, it would have served its purpose. But neither are private and I ended up getting twitchy without having someone to give me advice for my thoughts, instead of the sympathy I got (and asked for) from my girlfriend, since she doesnt experience the same level of brainweird I do about this.

And I know about brainbent's origins, which is why I stated it used to be about the actual Brainbent, but its purpose has clearly changed and been shaped since then.

• Like x 1
  10. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

http://brainbent.tumblr.com/

was it originally this? from a quick look at the blog it looks more like RP

but the brainbent forum now, as it currently stands, i think should be privatized. like i agree that the forum has diverged from what it was intended it be and i think private vent space is important.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    • Like x 1
  11. Lissa Lysik'an

You would have used Braaaiiiinnns or BrainBent first? That part is confusing to me

12. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I wanted to use Brains, because I did not want to vent about my brainweird, I wanted advice. it was not private.

second choice was brainbent, the unofficial vent board about brain/bodyweird. Also not private.

So I picked neither and bide my time instead, which ultimately did not help. The next day I made this thread and here we are! :D;;

13. Lissa Lysik'an

Ah - so my surmise that a private version of Braaiiinnns would have been your first choice is correct (after my first guess was wrong :) ).
    The side trip to a private version of BrainBent added useful information, but wasn't what you were looking for.

14. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Again, the reason I wanted all of this private is because I'm totally aware that what I wanted to say was controversial as fuck, and I did not want to attach myself to that where google's robots would pick up on it.

Creating a subaccount solely for this nonsense would set off my need to keep things "clean," because after it's one, single use, it'd be sitting there and would gnaw at me as well. So brain went "wrong" and forbid me to do the thing.

15. Lissa Lysik'an

I think the idea of a "BrainWeird" private subforum would be a better choice - I know there are other people here who might want to use such a subforum as well.
    And yeah - subaccounts don't work for me, either.

• Like x 1
  16. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I think endlessly creating new forums and subforums is a little bit overkill, and would make it confusing where things should go.

As I see it there isn't too much demand for the "original" Brainbent concept, and now it's just the vent forum.

Imo we keep all forums as they are, except maybe make Brainbent private. Definitely don't unprivate currently private forums, as you'd be publicly exposing content that users might only have posted with the knowledge that it'd be hidden, and confirming that everyone involved would be okay with that would be essentially impossible.

• Like x 4
  17. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Plus if we returned the Brainbent forum to the original purpose (still not clear on what that was), the mods would probably have to move all the vent threads elsewhere and there's a lot of them and that's work

18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Suggestion:
    A subsubforum to Braiiiiiiiins that is private?
    like how the RP section has it's own subsubs for sprawling rps with several threads?

• Like x 2
  19. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Counterpoint: can sub-subforums be private?

20. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

That makes sense. If possible to have a private sub forum inside, so people have the option of having threads private or not.

I usually use a subaccount for stuff I want not-obviously-linked to me, but that's not always a useful option.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice