Should there be a new private Subforum?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Ouija, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Brainweird won't let me have a SubAccount, unfortunately, which seems to be the case for at least one other person

If sub-subforums can be made private I would love for that to be the option we go with, because it solves a lot of problems and concerns people have

• Like x 1
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I just solved the mystery of why the brainbent forum went from discussion/group hug offshoot of Brainbent to the general venting forum:

We've been thinking brainvent this whole time!

• Like x 3
  3. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

...not... exactly?

From my understanding from having p thoroughly backread the whole Brainbent tumblr, the Brainbent subform was specifically a place not on the tumblr to collect the kind of very personal brainweird experience stories and questions that lots of readers sent in to the RP tumblr. So it was inspired by the RP, but the community of sharing/venting pre-existed the subforum as part of the Brainbent-RP fan culture.

• Like x 4
  4. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

And I feel that a part of the reason the original purpose of brainbent fell away is twofold

The first is that that purpose WASN'T CLEAR from the outset, because not all of kintsugi ever followed brainbent-the-fic and it didn't have a helpful subforum description. The second is that talk about specific-fan-thing in kintsugi forum culture generally moved to the fan town forum as soon as it was made - that's where eg the boat trolls discussion thread is. Having an entire extra subforum, visually-far from fan town (not even the same meta section) resulted in people's brains going 'this must be for different thing.'

• Like x 5
  5. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Any forum can in theory be made more private than the parent, so we could have a Private Venting forum or something, I guess?

• Like x 3
  6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

• Like x 3
  7. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

8. jacktrash

yep, just put 'move to holler closet' or somesuch and i'll try to get to them in the next day or two. i'm getting offline for now so it might not be tonight.

9. jacktrash

ps i had this image in mind

[​IMG]

but decided naming it the tantrum hole would imply i thought y'all were throwing baby fits, which is not what i think

but anyhow it is an enclosed space for private shouting, enjoy

• Like x 3
  10. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Wait, so what's the regular Brainbent forum for now?

• Like x 1
  11. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Same, but not private, i imagine.
    The only difference between the two is if you want it visible to not-logged-in-people or not.

12. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Seems a little redundant to me.

By that logic we should have private and non-private versions of all the other currently private forums as well.

13. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

No, not at all. The new subforum isn't about having a consistent policy across the board. It was created in response to people request specifically requested the option to make their stuff private; the new private subforum is for them. If people begin requesting a non-private version of currently private forums, then that specific case would be considered (or not).

eta: The logic is, "do people want it and expect to use it? then maybe we'll make it."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    • Like x 1
  14. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

Wait, wasn't the request specifically for a "Braaaiiinnnss" subforum, not a "Brainbent" subforum?

15. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I would take brainbent if brains didnt have a private subforum, and I had also suggested that, since the autism board was privatized (with no clear reason remembered), everything but "general advice" should probably have been privatized due to subject matter

the conclusion became "why not just nest another board within the board and make that private" which I had no idea was possible (making sub-sub boards private) and went "oh that'd be better yes"

whether or not brains gets a sub-private board at this point or not doesn't matter, since i had stated from the beginning i would use brainbent as a second option.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice