Signatures on by default?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Ouija, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Because it was suggested this should be taken to meta.

Context of the situation was "Rigs might need a warning label on his posts" and he wasn't aware this forum has signatures until someone pointed it out. In that specific context, him having a warning label that he speaks in lawyer terms and bear poking is probably a good thing.

I happened to broaden the signature thing above, saying a decent amount of people have information in their signature that explains some of their habits (missing replies, not wanting to be pinged in certain places, etc). The problem is signatures aren't on by default, so a lot of new users unaware of the habits of old ones aren't going to automatically see these things. I was on the forums for months before I accidentally discovered we had signatures (I turned them on for a little while but ultimately turned them off because uniform feeling. I'm unsure if I would have turned them off had I not already been so accustomed to not seeing them).

If siggies were on by default, then people can see these "warning labels" people tack onto their posts before turning them off (if they do at all), and it gives others a little breathing room by not expecting them to remind people every so often that "hey can [x situation] happen please?" (like people want Rigs to do with his flame fanning sorts of replies).

I get that the custom titles can do the same thing, but I'm also much more aware of signatures than I am custom titles (because I associate titles with silliness, like the "angel names" some people have, and as such my brain is WAY more inclined to completely ignore the thing by glossing over it). With signatures they're immediately under the post, so your eye will catch it as it goes on to the next reply.

• Like x 1
  2. Hatchback

Hatchback ... he is just fine again today

... Welp, I sure did not know that anyone used signatures on this forum until just now. I thought that just wasn't a thing people did here and I never bothered to go add one.

Yes, I definitely think they should be on or at least advertised as being an option, with a character limit (240, maybe?) to keep them from being too distracting.

Edit: Wait, how do you turn signatures on?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

Hmm. I personally would prefer to keep them off, but I guess this wouldnt affect me as much since im not new on the forum.
    Personally, (I'm not saying my reasons are more valid than yours, just, my reasons) I can't understand anything when signatures are on, there are two sections of text, and trying to read through gets so confusing because only half on the text onscreen is stuff to read to understand the conversation, everything else is just, there.

I dunno. I guess, as long as it doesnt become mandatory, whatever. *shrug*

• Like x 1
  4. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

@Imoyram Well, they're already not a mandatory thing, and I wasn't suggesting they be on permanently, just. Have them as being on for the default, don't-touch-your-settings option. Hatchback just proved my point by also not being aware signatures were even a thing.

@Hatchback Under preferences when you hover over your username in the upper right hand corner. It's just above "account preferences" and when you click it, you'll get a second popup that looks like this

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  5. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I think that's why I liked my suggestion (but I'm biased) of having there be some sort of early-on notification pop up? Like—"'Show Signatures' is off. Would you like to turn that feature on?"
    Just so people know that there might be something they're missing on seeing? If that makes sense?

Like—it's not on by default, so there's no feeling that you have to leave it on, but there's a notation that, hey, yeah, there's this other feature people on this forum use!

• Like x 1
  6. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

The only reason I don't agree with the idea of it being a popup is because...well nothing else is really a popup, is the thing. An alert when you sign up? That'd be neat, it would call attention without being in-your-face, and would introduce people to the idea of alerts, but a popup is toeing the line imo. I don't know, maybe it's just because the popups we already have are user-initiated.

• Like x 2
  7. I much prefer to have them off by default. As silly as it is, even having been reminded that they are things which exist is upsetting to me.

• Like x 2
  8. keltka

YES THAT'S WHAT I MEANT
    sorry not a pop-up, like, an alert!!!
    my phrasing is SHIT tonight I've been kinda sick for a few days and didn't sleep much last night @_@

• Like x 1
  9. There is sort of a pop up when you click the Login in as User or Watch Thread button which aren't horrible, but can be at least mildly annoying.

10. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Huh, I've never had signatures on, except maybe one time when I tested them after I signed up.

Do people communicate relevant information down there? Are there important things that I've been missing?

Would you say that having signatures on (as opposed to off such that page content is streamlined) is important in order to communicate things that otherwise I am being oblivious to?

Edit: I turned them on, and apparently mine isn't even factually accurate any more. Whoops.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  11. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Since the font is small and greyed and doesn't look like part of the post, they don't interfere with my reading.
    I don't think most of them communicate much - those of us that have them usually have something that doesn't change so once you've seen it you've seen it and after that it's 'just there'.
    I find them to be a slightly fun feature.

• Like x 1
  12. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

i use mine to communicate that i make awful puns

• Like x 6
  13. keltka

@Wiwaxia FUCK I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING GOING ON THERE

@BlackholeKG Hrmmm I'd say some people do, some people don't? I turned mines on today and I've seen a decent amount of info that might've like...helped me parse things a little better
    not an overwhelming amount, maybe 25%, but that's enough of an Increase In Good that it makes me want to keep it on?

re: popups, I think that's a thing that might affect people on a case by case basis, but I don't think some kind of alert/notification/"so hey just to let you know, this a thing" wouldn't be to bad? maybe even a message in the inbox, idfk

14. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Do signatures not display on mobile even if you have them enabled? That's annoying.

15. kmoss

kmoss Under Construction

i use mine to shill for donations and also explain that night vale is excellent
    which is only partially successful, in that now people know that night vale is excellent :D

• Like x 3
  16. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

The original conversation (which I quoted from) was "rigs make a warning in your signature that you snark and PMing you to knock it off will work 100% better than telling you to knock it off in thread"

to which he went "we have signatures? we have signatures!" in a starry sort of way because, again, they're off by default and you have to go poking around to find out that they exist in the first place. I certainly didn't know for months, because poking around in preferences wasn't necessary for me.

If people have signatures off by default because they don't know they exist, the point of telling rigs to warn people in a signature is really, well. Stupid.

People do, in fact, communicate in siggies about information relevant to them enough that having them on by default or letting you know "hey this is an option" is actually useful. Kmoss uses it for donation advertising, I've seen some people use it for apologizing for being spacey and asking them to be pinged, and then the parent thread of this one, which, again, would be really nice if the general public was aware that signatures were a thing in case there's pertinent information regarding the communication style of the user.

Even if it was the one time, an alert (with the friendly sort of reminder that sometimes people communicate warnings in them) would be much better than not at all.

• Like x 1
  17. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I totally didn't know we had signatures at all, and using them as a longer-character-limit way to communicate user metadata sounds so helpful for some of my communication problems here. Heartily adding my voice to "please make signatures a more noticeable feature" and then going to turn them on and edit mine.

• Like x 2
  18. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Yeah, what Kit said

19. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

i use mine to communicate that you just got hit by the yaoi tank

• Like x 11
  20. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

...oh, fuck you

<3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice