Since allies are relevant again

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by overpants-anon, Mar 1, 2015.

1. overpants-anon

overpants-anon Qualified Lurker

I was planning on typing this story up and submitting it to Seebs at some point, but I guess it goes here now? (Does anectdata central belong under General Chatter?)

Some background: I've been questioning my sexuality p much since I figured out that girls could be not-straight (lately I've been thinking the problem might stem from me being a not-girl, but idk if that's relevant). For me, that has included periods of thinking that I'm totally straight, and just trying to be a special snowflake

I've never been "out" about that (how do you even come out as idk). My parents (or at least my mom) have sort of guessed, but I'm p sure most of my friends think I'm straight

Anyway, when I was in my final year of high school, someone started an lgbt club at my school. A couple of the members were friends of mine, who I also followed on tumblr, and a few of those had reblogged some hostile jokes about allies

And for me, it was like: they don't like straight allies + they think i'm straight (and I might be) = they don't want me there

That's probably an overreaction, but I figure, if I responded that way, then probably other people have too, or will if the anti-ally thing gets bigger, so

I feel weird about calling this an example of anti-ally rhetoric harming queer/questioning people, since I have no way of knowing if that club would've been helpful/positive for me, but it's an opportunity lost, and I'm kind of, sad about it, so, yeah

• Like x 1
  2. bramblepatch

bramblepatch ground/water dualtype

Well, you might not know for sure if the club would have been a positive experience, but I figure it's probably safe to say that feeling unwelcome and isolated from a group with which you share common ground is a negative experience, right?

3. overpants-anon

overpants-anon Qualified Lurker

Kind of, yeah

4. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

That's one of the points I emphasize: hostility to allies is de facto hostility to the unsure, the questioning and the not-completely-out.

• Like x 5
  5. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Uuugghhhh. Fuckin hipsters with their gatekeepery "queerer than thou" bullshit. "Oh no someone thinks Im a human and deserve safety and equality like everyone else, hurry, better be a HUGE DOUCHBAG." :(

#get off my lawn #damn kids

• Like x 2
  6. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Ugh, I hate that.
    There is no reason to exclude people who could be interested/helpful/learning/whatever just cause you want to be an asshat.

7. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

People who are shitty to allies remind me of those rich kids that post those artsy inspirational "there is literally NOTHING stopping you from doing things that cost loads of money~[flower emoji]" things all over the place. They have no concept of what it's like to not have the thing they're shitting on.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice