Sinus Infection Thread

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Unfortunate, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Unfortunate

Unfortunate Writing Disgrace

I hate to be the child that is constantly asking for help but I have a serious Sinus Infection and I am so tired all the time. I had antibiotics and they worked for a while and then it got worse and now I feel marginally better but it still hurts and I'm worried it will flare up again and I'm so tired.

I already tried to go to the doctors and it didn't work. The snorting salt water thing doesn't work. Sudafed definitely doesn't work and Ibuprofen would work if I took enough to kill me and not have to deal with this any more which I am seriously considering as I've been sick for two months and nothing is working. Going back to the doctor's is not an option because nobody believes me and just says "Take more vitamins" which, incidentally, don't work.

I have to start getting better within three days or I will have a serious problem with the college.

2. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I find it really weird that doctors would ignore you. Sinus infections aren't a walk in the park. Is there another clinic/office you can visit, maybe one associated with your college?

eta: This might sound like a really weird question, but how are your eyes? I know someone who had an infection in their eye that spread to their sinuses, so sinus-treatment stuff did nothing for them. They wound up having to see an ophthalmologist to get it resolved, since their gp just went :mystery: when it failed to respond to standard sinus infection treatments.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  3. Unfortunate

I... take online college. Since, I can't drive because I still haven't gotten my eyes fixed for an unrelated reason. Either way, there's no way for me to go to the doctor unless my mother wants to take me and she thinks I'm being a little bitch so I won't ask again. But, I know it's still in my sinuses. I can feel it and also, I can taste it.

4. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

You should contact the college anyway, with "I have an untreated medical condition that will make me drop out unless it is fixed, and I do not have anyone to drive me to the doctor so I can't get it fixed". Colleges only make money if you're in them, so they have incentive to keep you.

Is there a way you can hire a taxi?

If none of these work, there is a last resort to consider: call 911. Get transported to the emergency room. Yes, it'll likely result in an ambulance or cop car being your transport. But, if you have exhausted every other option available to you, I wouldn't say it's a waste of resources. I'd say it's actually using the only resources you have left.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    • Like x 2
  5. Unfortunate

Because I'd get in trouble? I don't pay for it and since no one thinks it's a big deal, I can't really do anything. I'd rather be dead then get in trouble, haha. I just want ideas to manage it until people realize it's a problem again. That's how I get anything dealt with.

6. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

"I'd rather be dead than get in trouble"

Please read this.

7. Unfortunate

I don't really get it.

8. Pascaline

Pascaline Member

@Unfortunate

Not to scare you but it's very possible that it's not a sinus infection if it has lasted for two months. While antibiotics help with getting rid of them sinus and ear infections can, over time, clear up on their own. However yours sounds... well, really bad, and like someone else said can spread to your eyes, your throat, etc. If left untreated it can cause major side effects. Just let your college know you're sick. Also, if you're good at faking... fake being sicker so your mom will take you to the doctor. Pretend to have an ear infection or something. Manipulative but effective.

• Like x 1
  9. Unfortunate

That's... a really good idea. It did mostly go away eventually though.

10. Pascaline

Pascaline Member

@Unfortunate

Thanks! I am glad to hear that it's starting to clear up but still that's a long time to have something which should be gone after 2 weeks of antibiotics.

11. kitarakir

kitarakir Active Member

Kinda late, but sinus infections can have issues clearing up, specially if you have small/narrow sinus cavities. I went through 4 rounds of antibiotics, 3 different types total, and finally had to have surgery, due to a deviated septum keeping things from draining. I had the same thing where it would seem to be going away, but a couple of days after finishing the Rx, it would get worse again. If you have ever broken your nose, that could be what is happening, though it is not exactly a common issue.

• Like x 2
  12. Unfortunate

I had a hole smashed into my forehead when I was a toddler and whenever I have Sinus Problems it swells up so that's probably it.

13. kitarakir

kitarakir Active Member

That could be it, yes. One minor thing to try. Antihistamines. They can get the swelling down a bit, which helps with things draining. They had me on some prescription strength ones while we were setting up the surgery, but even over the counter stuff may help a bit.

• Like x 1
  14. Unfortunate

Turns out it is actually just severe allergies which give me secondary infections. Unfortunately, my apartment has mold leaking down from the ceiling and I still have the rest of the month before I can move. And since it's proven allergy related, it's low priority when it appears to be getting worse. I look like a chipmunk.

15. kitarakir

kitarakir Active Member

Urgh. Is it the whole ceiling, or just one spot? If it is coming from one spot, like a stain or a leak, you can try taping some plastic/a trash bag over it. Not a long term solution, but if you are moving in a month, it may at least reduce how much gets everywhere a bit.

• Like x 1
  16. Unfortunate

If I touch it or anything, the roof will fall in + I'm not supposed to show attention to it because the landlord still thinks he can show it.

17. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Something I was going to suggest before you mentioned the mold (but which might be worth trying if the sinus issues continue once you've moved) was a humidifier. Because my matesprit and I kept getting sinus problems that linger for a week or two and then go away...and then come back again, linger, and go away, and meanwhile we were both waking up stuffy and spitting up mucus all the time. So we went to the local clinic and the doctor there recommended we try a humidifier first since it didn't look like we had strep or anything, but dry air was a thing he knew could cause recurring sinus issues of the type we'd described - and winter tends to result in very dry air around here.

So we got the humidifier, picked up a couple of other home remedies he recommended, and oh my god, I have woken up not stuffy for the first time in what feels like actual years.

As for the mold - can you spray vinegar at it without risking the roof falling in? Vinegar does kill mold.

18. Unfortunate

The problem is that the only one that recognizes the problem is my sinuses is me. And now I think I might be developing a tertiary infection in my sinuses which is fueling the idea that everyone, including my Doctor, thinks I have Mono and I will never get treated. So things like a humidifier that would be obvious would be a problem because people would get angry at me for not following the Mono treatment.

This is why no one believes me when I say I'm sick. Most likely, my throat hurts because I've been strangling myself but I have sinusitis which caused that nasal hair infection staph thing and I have been eating it because I do that when I am anxious and now I think I have tonsillitis. Don't eat your infections/strangle yourself, kiddos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice