So Beldaran is a Mod Now, What's With That???

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Beldaran, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

This thread is for discussion around me being a new mod, talk of other possible new mods, and generally stuff that would derail other threads.

Also come say hi to me if you like, I'm nice!

• Like x 17
  2. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

beldaran is the top ramen

• Like x 7
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So, just to be clear:

Yes, I did this based entirely on my own opinions. I didn't consult the users. Heck, I don't think I consulted any of the existing mods, or Jesse.

This is, ultimately, a dictatorship. I am not interested in running elaborate political systems. I am interested in running the forum in a way which meets my goals reasonably well. I am not trying to create a mix of moderators who have diverse opinions on topics, I'm trying to create a mix of moderators whom I trust to listen to criticism and try to moderate fairly even if they have strong opinions about people or events.

• Like x 23
  4. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

Are you entirely uninterested in consulting users?

5. Beldaran

Don't always get along with me?! I am a delight! *banned*

(oh god i'm joking and seebs knows i'm joking)

• Like x 10
  6. Aulualala

Aulualala Alarmed Jellyfish

Question of curiosity:
    Is it only the admins who have the capability to poke around and find who a subaccount belongs to, or are you also able to do that as a mod?

• Like x 2
  7. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

(pokes with a stick)

Also, I remember @Xavius throwing his hat in the ring (I am assuming he/him pronouns, but I could be mistaken, I will correct ASAP) and he was commenting about having moderator experience as well as being part of the time zone that needs people? If you don't mind me asking, can you talk about your modding experience more?

Also, weird suggestion: @Snitchanon

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Forewarning or a community comment period are not fundamentally incompatible with those goals.

• Like x 11
  9. seebs

That varies a lot. I reserve the right to just go ahead and do a thing without consulting people. Sometimes I consult people. Sometimes I open the floor for discussion and wait to see whether consensus emerges. Depends a lot on specific things.

Pretty much anything I do, you're welcome to give feedback. I may change my mind, I may not.

• Like x 4
  10. Ipuntya

i think that the possibility of beldaran becoming a moderator is something that has been discussed and commented on on and off for a while now

• Like x 7
  11. seebs

Not 100% sure, but I think the user-edit stuff is admin-only.

• Like x 2
  12. Ipuntya

this isn't actually something all that out-of-the-blue and random

• Like x 3
  13. Beldaran

I am an experienced mediator, not moderator.

I can talk about doing mediation if you like though!
    As far as I know, I don't have access to that info, no.

• Like x 3
  14. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

This strikes me as potentially foolish, given that it's easy to pick staff that will agree with you on principle.

Also, because I can't resist...

upload_2017-2-1_13-33-47.png

15. seebs

It is in fact easy to pick staff that will agree with me on principle. In fact, to some extent that's presumably my goal, because the entire point is I have a pretty clear idea of how I want the forum to run, and it would be pretty weird to pick people who don't agree with me on how the forum should be run, and ask them to help me run it in a way they don't like.

There are a lot of concerns I have about, say, actual governance of the sort where the rules are enforced ultimately by dudes with guns, which don't apply to how I want to run a forum.

• Like x 4
  16. Ipuntya

i think that might have been referring to @Xavius

• Like x 1
  17. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Ah, the question is meant for Xavius since he was asking about it, but it's good you answered too and were up front with your answer! Also, you took the stick-poke well so that's always a bonus!

• Like x 4
  18. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

I think there is at least a small difference between forum policy and pointing a gun at someone.

• Like x 3
  19. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

so i guess that makes us anarcho-autocrats.
    i know there's like a billion anarchist subtypes, but i'm pretty sure that's a new one.

• Like x 7
  20. seebs

In general, yeah.

If the government where you live is horrible, you're pretty badly fucked over. If a forum admin is horrible, you can close the tab and read something else.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice