So Beldaran is a Mod Now, What's With That???

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Beldaran, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Eh, I disagree. Part of the problem in the recent drama was that it spilled out of the forum it had been contained in and got all over (vent threads, meta land, argument island, even some in fan town, and that's just what I, a not-particularly-paying-attention person, saw). The Kintsugi community is not large enough that individual forums have radically different groups of users (though there's a slight divide between the analysis/unpacking sections and the general chatter, mostly caused by the "someone comes here to unpack some shit and doesn't venture outside of that forum" user experience). That's two points against having submods, to me, and none especially in favor of it.

• Like x 6
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So, mod permissions are sorta fine-grained. Xavius, how would you feel about, as a trial thing, having thread-lock/unlock privileges, but not the fancier stuff like delete? Then you have at least SOMETHING you can do if there's issues and no one else is around, but people don't have to panic that you're going to go super mad with power.

• Like x 12
  3. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I'm glad that @Beldaran is an offical mod now c: Good friend, excellent mediator, and wicked smart and funny.

• Like x 2
  4. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

I am a-okay with that. I'd consider myself more an "absolute emergency" guy than anything anyway with how little people know about me.

• Like x 4
  5. seebs

Okay. I also gave you approve posts because moderation queue. Basically, the purpose of moderation queue is just to watch for things at the level of suicide-baiting. If you're not sure, feel free to leave stuff for someone else to look at.

• Like x 3
  6. Xavius Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I promise to do my best, and thank you very much for trusting me!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like x 18
  7. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I, for one, welcome our new sub-dictators. Long may they reign moderate, etc.

• Like x 9
  8. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

My picks for mod would have been @Beldaran and @Morven, and additional mods was something I was going to suggest when I woke up. I'm glad to see some good things happened while I was asleep.

@Xavius I recognise you. And while my view has probably been coloured by association with my fave childhood protagonist I think you are a cool guy and seem to be able to remain objective in tense situations.

• Like x 8
  9. Zibanu

Zibanu Well-Known Member

I was less coming at a place of radically different groups of users and more spreading the workload among a larger group of people, who would have the ability to, say, move posts, change names, or mediate smaller disputes, so that the current mod/admin team can focus on larger things. Hell, a mod who was just focused on name changes could speed things up.

• Like x 1
  10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Again, small community, don't see a reason for that? A mod who just focused on name changes would be doing... 1-2 things a week, tops. Same with most of the other stuff.

Like there's some delay in moderation stuff, but not in a way that adding more mods would really fix, because it tends to be things like "the nocturnal crew is blowing up and all the mods are asleep" or just "don't have spoons today, I'll move threads tomorrow." Urgent things are usually handled by non-mod members of the community.

• Like x 3
  11. Xavius Emeritus

On the topic of name-changes, I can't help but imagine that permission is tied into editing profiles wily-nily, so that's an admin-only thingamajigger I assume.

• Like x 4
  12. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

@Xavius, I don't think we've met yet, but I liked your wall of text. It was good text.

I feel like it's very important to be able to learn from past mistakes or bad experiences. It seems like that would be more instructive than smooth sailing. It seems like you're both willing and able to do that.

I appreciate your emphasis on mediation, negotiation, and understanding group dynamics. I strongly approve of building relationships with people from different social groups and helping them learn to handle some of the mediation. That's a very efficient, effective approach if you can make it work, and it sounds like you have the experience to do that.

On a personal level, I really sympathize with your loyalty to the former leader. I'm not sure if I agree on principle with falsely attributing your ideas to someone to make them look better, but I very much like the awareness of more subtle social currents it shows.

You may not have as much experience with the particular players and certain aspects of the culture here, but you seem like the sort of person who would pick it up without too much trouble, and would probably figure out pretty quickly who to ask about anything that continues to confuse you. You seem genuine and canny enough that I imagine people will be pretty willing to help you out.

You really don't need my approval in any way, but I still wanted to tell you that I feel good about your motivation and ability to undertake this responsibility.

Congratulations and good luck!

• Like x 6
  13. seebs

I don't think name changes exist apart from the admin option for editing a user account.

• Like x 1
  14. Xavius Emeritus

It's one of those things I wouldn't ask anyone else to do, but I've never minded doing up a quick project for someone stressed and offering them a chance to present it.

I understand that other people might have issues with crediting, and it's something I've been very diligent to do for others - if I get help with a project, everyone knows - but I'm fine with handing over a bit of work so someone else can have their day in the limelight.

The times I'm referring to, as well, were the peak of my performance; I had spoons every day and in so much excess I probably could've ran half the guild by myself (I was really, really excited things were going well), so I didn't mind throwing a thing or two someone else's way. I just wish I'd ghostwritten more for him is all I'm saying.

I might not need it, but that sure as heck doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. Thank you for your kindness.

• Like x 3
  15. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Having experienced Modven in the past I can confirm she's good at it.

• Like x 3
  16. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

0h wow, congrats @Beldaran ! I'm in team "wait, why wasn't this official before now?" but yeah I think you'll be awesome at it!

• Like x 1
  17. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

For real, thank you very much you guys. There have been a lot of bad things happening pretty much every day in the world so seeing a bunch of congratulations and people excited for me is super nice. c:

• Like x 10
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I honestly thought you were a mod already.

19. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

i'm so confused cause i already thought beldaran was a mod. huh. oops.

• Like x 1
  20. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

congratulations

I want to make a pun like... mod-meshiba? Modmeshibaaa~ tiny mods in your cereal, mediating breakfast

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice