So my friend did a thing and is now in the hospital [tw: suicide]

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Re Allyssa, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Yeah. I really don't think suicide was eir end goal?? Because they were asking about continuing school and going to our glass class tomorrow. But like ey took like 20 pills. I missed eir text to me at like 5:30, thankfully @TrillianAri got home at 6 and called the paramedics. Friend seemed mostly fine but ey did get admitted and has to stay at least the night.

I want to go visit em and stuff tomorrow, but I actually have like 12 straight hours of Things To Do. And... I know that my friend is more important, but I also know ey wouldn't want me to go too far out of the way?

As it is, I'm thinking I need to go to my morning classes, but that maybe I can skip the afternoon and evening ones. But I also have an exam in the afternoon one? But I can probably get by just fine by just reading the book? Ugh I don't know.
    I also asked my boss to move my work hours to tomorrow instead of Thursday because of said exam, and I'm sure they would let me off no problem if I told them, but I don't want to be a burden or anything?? Idk what do.
    Hugs, witnessing and advice would be nice.

2. TrillianAri

TrillianAri 5'7" of whelm on a 5'4" frame.

I also want to know if there's anything that we wouldn't think of that would be helpful or comforting? We packed an overnight bag for eir and stocked some DVDs (I'll be bringing along some more tomorrow) - I'm just not really sure of how to support/comfort except to be there if ey want to talk and perhaps watch shared shows with em. Any guidance would help.

3. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

oh jesus christ what

i'd say ask boss to let you off to visit em, especially since boss will be understanding.

*hugshugshugs*

(holy shit did ey seem like ey were likely to do this??)

4. Re Allyssa

(explained on fb chat but--)
    Not really. Friend had a bad weekend, but when asked if okay, ey said yes. So we were just kind of confused. Also because not sure what end goal was bc like I said ey didn't seem to intend death, but also what else do you expect? mrrrr x.X

5. TrillianAri

TrillianAri 5'7" of whelm on a 5'4" frame.

There's also that whole 'things getting slightly better jolt out of total depressed immobility so plans (good or bad) can happen' thing. It's just a lot of arm woobling and confusion over here.

6. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

*hugs* for both of you!

The one time I visited a suicidal friend in the hospital was a very different situation : she checked into the psych ward voluntarily for a few days because she was scared she was going to walk into traffic if no one was watching her. But she said what made the most difference for her was just having people to talk to. More than anything, just making time and visiting would help, I would think.

• Like x 2
  7. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

witnessing and hugs if wanted.

• Like x 1
  8. Re Allyssa

For the record-- I am intending to skip my afternoon classes. I sent out a bunch of emails last night letting my teachers know what the deal is. I haven't heard back from my boss yet, so it might be a moot point, but we'll see. At the very least I can go spend the evening with Friend.

• Like x 2
  9. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

witnessing and hugs if hugs are wanted. That's tough.

• Like x 1
  10. Re Allyssa

Friend is out of the hospital! And probably is sleeping at this point. I'm just now getting out of work and I'm gonna grab food and head home.
    Thank you guys for providing support.

I'm actually kind of surprised how not freaked out I was. It might catch up to me later, but for now I'm fine. And I know I have resources to talk to people if need be (and I do in fact have a therapist appointment on Friday, so there is that.)

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice