So should we have rules or something?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 22, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

My default inclination: Not very much. I'll nuke spam, I'll do stuff about personal info being leaked, but apart from that, I'm pretty reluctant to do a lot of moderating. But hey, floor's open.

2. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

... there is a report button right underneath your post.
    what happens if you report the moderator to the moderator?
    i.... i have to... no mustn't... have to find out noooooooo but the button is so shiny uuurhg i'm gonna push the button

3. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

i am weak. i am so sorry

4. seebs

A report gets created and I get to find out how the report system works, which I guess is useful.

• Like x 3
  5. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

...reminds me of something from a different forum, waaay back when. A moderator found out they could report themselves and did so to see what would happen. Turned out, they got the report. They came back into the thread and warned themselves to cut out the behaviour that got them reported by themself. They then picked a fight with the responding moderator, which ended up escalating into them tempbanning themselves, appealing to the staff over the abuse of moderator power, and having the ban overturned.

For those that want to read it themselves (Mod has changed names since then, so might not be immediately clear: Athene was formerly Thanatos).

More directly on-topic, I feel like rules matter a lot more when forums start to grow a lot? I dunno. A forum of ~100 people with a handful of mods (or even just one) is an entirely different entity from one with thousands of active members, and that's the point when I feel like more stringent rules are probably helpful? Buuut I tend to do well with and enjoy having clear rules, as a general rule, so that might just be me.

The one concern, I suppose, with not having clear rules is that it then might be unclear for some people what is/isn't allowed, and if things ever progress to the point we have someone get banned for something (hopefully that's never an issue, but it IS the internet), unless it's clear why then it might be worrying? Buuut again, I'm more used to big old forums like Spacebattles, which serve a very different function and userbase, so... *shrug*

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    • Like x 2
  6. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I've always like minimalism for rules. Like "Don't be a dick." works.

• Like x 2
  7. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

well, like you said to me in person, if there's a line people will ride it. if all you tell folks is "if i want to boot you, wave goodbye," then people can't play brinking games and go neener-neener-you-can't-ban-me. someone gets banned and doesn't like it, well, too bad?

i mean, on the type of forum where the mod is some kid with Issues on a power trip, obvs that gets pretty toxic pretty fast. but we know you, and you are unlikely to get whack-happy with the ban hammer. and you're categorically opposed to deleting the evidence, which means anyone who gets banned, there'll be all their dickish posts enshrined in glory if anyone wants to see why.

so i reckon the only rules we need are "don't break the law" and "we nuke spam" and the rest is just a judgement call. going by how you handle your correspondence on tumblr, someone would have to be a really persistent asshole making the most boring kind of content-free shitposts before you'd ban them anyhow.

• Like x 4
  8. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

This is a good point, and why I noted when I said "yay, rules" that I'm the kind of person that always says "yay, rules". I recognize my opinion there might not be the correct or most useful one. There're certainly compelling reasons to not have 'em (one of those being that it's your forum and you can run it as works best for you).

9. seebs

I think my concern is mostly that rules can create the impression that things not bad enough that you get banned are perfectly okay. I mean, the worst problems require bad moderation, too.

CF (ChristianForums, the religious board I used to hang around on) had some hilariously bad moderation. My favorite was that one of the more senior people, who was actually pretty good, looked at a situation and said "hey, you know what, even though technically you broke a rule, this has been a huge amount of drama over nothing, compounded by arguments over whether you were breaking rules by saying you didn't think you were breaking rules, so I'm just reversing everything and giving you a clean slate because grace is a Christian thing". And everyone was happy because a popular member was no longer ultra-super-perma-banned for making a new account to ask why she'd gotten banned for asking about why she'd gotten a warning for a post which may or may not have even violated a rule.

A year later, the other mods had finally understood the true meaning of this, and they would automatically ignore a first offense from any user, because that was grace, then pound them hard and point out that grace had ALREADY been tried on later offenses.

... Oddly, this did not work as well.

• Like x 1
  10. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I think a pro for rules would be that people who are always worried about stepping on toes would have a clearly defined "this is okay/not okay."

Then again, maybe stating the no rules specifically might help with that too?

I'm kind of looking for a way to express "If you're worried about stepping on toes, you probably aren't."

11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

As my roommate reminded me the other day: the more detailed the rules, the more there will be loopholes and people will try to exploit the loopholes.

12. Malaloba

Malaloba New Member

I think we don't need strict "you will get banned if you do this" rules. We all know seebs and how he'll moderate well enough. But it might be helpful to have some "social rules/guidelines" since a good part of seeb's audience has to work to figure out social rules. Less "don't do this" and more "here's how this works and here are some things that are totally ok". It would be reassuring to us "sorry if this isn't allowed" types.

• Like x 2
  13. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

So basically positive directions, not negative ones? Sounds good to me.

• Like x 1
  14. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

To make a thief, make an owner; to create crime, create laws.

15. seebs

Yeah, pretty much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice