songs for clearing static

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by liminal, Jul 1, 2015.

1. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

This is a bit more specific from the "best recovery songs" thread which is mostly for music that makes you feel better or feel less alone. This thread is for music specifically that helps clear your head of brain static when you are distressed.

I'd like to request that since the other music thread got kind of laggy when the page was filled with music videos that you either link to the video or put the video under a cut so hopefully it loads a little better.

• Like x 2
  2. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

I go to things I am super-familiar with. That means albums I have listened to so many times I know every note.

Comfort food and comfort music scratch the same itch for me. So if I'm eating "Springtime Skillet"* and listening to "Murmur", I'm probably recharging.

*I don't know where my mom found that recipe, but it's basically hamburger, potatoes, white rice, and carrots cooked up together with soy sauce. We ate it a lot when I was growing up. One time when I was in my thirties, Mom had us over for dinner for my birthday and asked what I wanted and I said, "Springtime Skillet". I got a "look", but I also got my "Springtime Skillet".

• Like x 1
  4. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

@liminal, that song is magic. It's like all my anxiety has just melted away, wow.

• Like x 1
  5. liminal

yaaay the thread is working as intended.

I like a lot of tipper music, I think I posted about it before. I used to listen to it a lot to clear brain static. Some of it is prettier than others. It's just funny because the responses seem to be:

Neurotypical people: ....I can get high to this
    Autistic people: *commence brain hacking*

kinda like seebs miracle modus. To non autistic people the general response is "oh this is pretty" for a minute or two, but works really well with autistic folks for calming down and stuff. I can't afford a tablet/device that is compatible with the miracle modus though so I havn't tried that yet.

(if this comes off as jumbled sorry, I can't type well while my brain is occupied by music.)

A+ though definitely recommend the album this song came off of. I don't know about their other albums yet since that's the only one I have but listening to some of their other stuff on youtube it's also really great. Particularly the album "surrounded" (probably going to be my next music purchase).

Gonna reply to this thread again once I compile some more tipper songs from this playlist that are soothing.

• Like x 1
  6. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

I prefer Gold Pilot for similar reasons of intricacy.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    • Like x 1
  7. liminal

Illabye I think is their most popular song. You may have heard it before:

Two other songs off the album are good too:

and then I had to stop at this song because I think it numbed my brain and I feel floaty. Like "woah. I guess I've got a natural high going on here" lol.

8. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

I find chanting along to "The Bus Is Late (waiting for the bus in the rain)" to be very good at distracting me; "Be Calm" by fun. is screaming out anxiety and it has helped me through multiple Phobia Encouters (read: getting shots/blood drawn).

I prefer really aggressive or thumpy music with a high BPM to draw out the brainbads and let me calm down, and a lot of my playlist for anxiety/almost-meltdowns are either electronic/dance or pulsing hard rock (or Descend).

• Like x 1
  9. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Be Calm is sooo good oh man I forgot about it.

• Like x 1
  10. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

I find a fair amount of trad metal to be very calming; currently my two favourites for clearing my brain are Heaven and Hell and Man On The Silver Mountain.

Most songs by Tyr also work well, but especially their album Lay of Thrym, not least for reasons of familiarity. Elsewhere in folk metal, Call of the Mountains is another good static-clearer.

• Like x 1
  11. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

I KNOW it's just. Screaming out "Be calm, oh be calm! I know you feel like you are breaking down!" (or singing it through Phobia Breakdown Tears you know) is just so good. And to fill my ears and brain with the frantic repetition that comes up to a soaring theramin! More songs should have frantic repetition and soaring electric theramin noises, goddamn.

Other good songs that are on my anxiety playlist but not the shortlist:
    Discord (Remix)
    Apres Moi
    Pet/Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm of the War Drums
    Shissou (though this one may just work for me because it replaces my badfeels with Oh My God Haruhi Is Very Important To Me feels? it still moves so intensely, though. Cut open the darkness and GO!)

12. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I really like glitch mob to ground me and make me focus
    It's fragmented glitchy sounding dubstep, it's loud, complicated and sometimes a bit chaotic and doesn't leave me stuck trying to identify instruments most of the time since its all computers. I bought their album 'Love Death Immortality' and it's the most calming album I own. I have to still experiment with Skrillex and Deadmau5 more to figure out whether they can get me EXCITED AND FOCUSED the same way or similar but useful-slightly-different ways.
    Also I listen to game soundtracks when I need to streamline my focus on one-thing-and-one-thing-only. Elder Scrolls soundtracks, especially Skyrim (which is hella long so useful for long projects) are especially good for that and on youtube as single-video-entire-soundtrack-deals. (that's skyrim, oblivion, morrowind, daggerfall and TES:O. Here is a mix of Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind, 12 hours long, you know in case you need it)

• Like x 1
  13. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

This song is really good for that sort of stuff. I've kept myself from crying multiple times by repeating it to myself over and over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice