Songs you associate with fictional characters

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by autopsyblue, May 2, 2015.

1. I do this so much I have my own private Tumblog which is just full of songs tagged with characters and pairings. Mostly Homestuck because Homestuck. Anyway, I figured it'd be interesting to see if anyone else has the same kind of associations cause this came up on Pandora:

and my mind jumped to Bro cause of the recent updates.

2. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Prayer by disturbed is a GHB/Sufferer song for me.

Corrupt by karissa noel is Condesce/psiioniic

Touched by Vast is psiioniic/sufferer

3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Good To Be Alive by They Might Be Giants is my God Tier Aradia jam forever.

4. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I have this elaborate headcanon of Akatsuki by Babymetal being a Ruby Rose (RWBY) song.

because it's the kind of song Ruby would love, and also is the kind of cute/determined/violent that makes up Ruby. And it's about red.
    In a RWBYmetal AU where the RWBY girls form a metal band; Ruby on lead guitar, Yang on drums, Weiss on vocals and keyboard, Blake on bass/rhythm guitar. Ruby wrote this particular song and of course plays the solo, except for one time live when her precious Crescent Rose (it's also a guitar) stopped working. Weiss glares at Ruby, then switches Mictenaster into a high-distortion mode she rarely uses and sings the entire solo note for note (Casey Lee Williams can belt out pretty fast trills, so of course Weiss can). The rare recordings of this version of the song are highly sought after among the hardcore fans.
    Even more rare and even more sought after is the version with Weiss' solo cut out entirely so that you can hear Ruby softly cursing while she tries to fix Crescent Rose on stage.

5. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I don't really have songs associated with characters who aren't OCs but me and the boyfriend sure do have an entire tab on the database for songs associated with our angelverse folks. Our Lucifer has an entire playlist just for him (well, and his boyfriend, in places), chronicling his history.
    We need to clean the tab out cos some are out-of-date or not as appropriate as we thought at the time but hey.
    This here is the Luci playlist if anyone is even slightly interested. I know at least one video may be unavailable in the US but it's Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf so easy to find alternatives I imagine.

• Like x 1
  6. @Lissiel Those are pretty good songs!
    @Exohedron I'm afraid I don't know who that is.
    @TwoBrokenMirrors I'm listening to it now. I love Apres Moi, that's actually a song that inspired a large part of one of my OC's stories.

7. @Acey Das a nice song. I'm usually kind of meh about bands if my ex liked them but unfortunately he had a good taste in music.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

@autopsyblue She's from the show RWBY, by Roosterteeth (who are better known for Red Vs Blue). Think Nepeta-style adorabloodthirsty, but a gearhead rather than a shipping nerd, and also no moirail.

• Like x 1
  9. TwoBrokenMirrors

@autopsyblue It's a great song! =D For Luci's it's mostly associated with his pre-Rebellion period where he feels like he's underappreciated and is being pushed by, ahem, unsuitable friends towards outright rebelling.
    ...What did you think of the rest of the playlist? It might not entirely make sense as a story without some context, I've just realised. =/

10. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

I set up entire playlists for the 2x2 #boypile on my 8tracks. I have a problem.
    There's also playlists for another fic in the series, focusing on the alpha kids.
    And a playlist for a fem!Dave, Dove Strider, my perfect little bird.

My default "oh god my ship feels" song, no matter what characters it is, is I See Fire. If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together. In particular this is for davekat (because fire), and also for dirkrox, because if I'm going to feel it then I'm going to burn down the whole internet with my feels.

• Like x 2
  11. @Exohedron I haven't seen either of them, sorry.
    @TwoBrokenMirrors It was kind of a strangely romantic way to think about God? Which is kind of strange but not bad. There were some really good songs in there. I'm a huge a mythology nerd so I know the basic story even if I don't know your specific story.
    @pixels Sank you, I always like moar music. (And Alphas hell yeah. You gonna make one for Jane? She's kinda hard to wrap your head around I think.)

I've got so many fanmixes I should just put out there but I want to draw the artwork first.

K dis my Gamzee playlist

12. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

@autopsyblue Jane doesn't really feature in I Was Aiming for His Head, mostly because I don't like her. Nothing against her, she's a great character, I just don't Get It. The other person who'd get done for that set is Jade, actually, because she steps in to mediate a lot. She really deserves her own playlist at this point.

13. Well I absolutely love her but your opinion is your opinion *shrug*

14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I associate Ozzy Osbourne's Diary of a Madman with John Chrichton (astronaut) from Farscape, especially around the end of season 2. It helps that he keeps an audio diary of messages to his dad for if he ever gets home.

• Like x 2
  15. TwoBrokenMirrors

@autopsyblue
    Aheh that might be where you need some context- the romantic stuff (If You Wanna Come Back, etc) is actually supposed to be about his boyfriend, who is. Not God.
    This probably makes everything much less complex and interesting, heh. We have massively woobified Luci; we don't deny that he did some fucked-up stuff during the Rebellion but he was being manipulated even then, and he falls into a deep depression and self-loathing episode for about 200k years afterwards because of the guilt.
    But I'm glad you liked the music!

• Like x 1
  16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I associate a lot of music with specific Homestuck characters due to rp things. Music is just a very quick and amusing way to get into character.

I'll just pick a few songs for the people I play most so...

Aranea: Won't Get to Heaven (The State I'm In) by Spiritualized, Undone by Failure, Moth by Failure, and Another Space Song by Failure.

Why? I have no fucking idea. For whatever reason space rock and alternative rock became very heavily associated with her. It just kind of. Happened. Failure in particular just. Works for her.

Porrim: The Locks and Rocks Reel by the Peatbog Faeries, the Limerick Rake by The Pogues, Horn in the Middle by nujabes, and The Girl in Byakkoya by Susumu Hirasawa.

In general there's a lot of Gaelic folk and folk fusion music associated with Porrim in my head. This is now a bit more explainable given that the one I play most now is Irish but really this existed even before gangland Porrim so...

Kanaya: Bright Neon Payhone by Cut Copy, So Haunted by Cut Copy, and Saturdays also by Cut Copy.

WHY????? I dunno it just happened to be on at the time. It's very especially linked with genderswapped Kanaya but just Kanaya in general too.

17. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I mostly associate songs with ships - I can't listen to Bastille's Daniel in the Den without thinking of Peter Hale/Chris Argent from the show Teen Wolf, but I also 100% associate Johnny Lang's Wander This World with Star Tyrian from Jesse's Metanoia, and thinking about it makes my soul hurt.

18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

If we're going with ships...

Porrim<3Aranea - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space by Spiritualized
    Porrim<3The Handmaid - The Limerick Rake by The Pogues, Pollyanna (I Believe In You) sung by Catherine Warwick
    The Dolorosa<3The Handmaid - Aisling by Shane MacGowan and the Popes, Pollyanna (I Believe In You) again

We should all be concerned and saddened that Pollyanna is the song for Porrim and Dolly with the Handmai. Exceptionally so.

19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i really like lyricstucks and come up with ideas all the time for songs out of the blue (and then subsequently forget them a short time later) but don't have the energy for that many panels usually .

one i can't get out of my head is

Meenah - Don't Mess With Me by Temposhark

i was thinking of a sort of flashback sequence with a few panels pondering her alt self when the appropriate lyrics arise. the song's flippant tone coupled with the seemingly almost accidental rise to power halfway through just seems very Meenah to me. i love thinking out this stuff when i listen to things, this is a nice thread.

20. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I have a lyricstuck I've been wanting to do about the whole RetJohn thing, to Erase by TMBG. ("Button marked 'erase'?" "Shed our memory?" "Think of this as solving problems that should never have occurred?" It's PERFECT.)

I have an 8tracks, but I really wanna remake most of 'em. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice