Sorting stuff out

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by palindromordnilap, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

In the mean time:
    nailedit.png
    Hey, why not.

• Like x 4
  2. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Can I ask what you think the point of an apology is?

3. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

What do you usually do to release steam and manage your stress, outside of getting involved with internet conflict?

4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Roughly speaking, ipuntya posted about being unwilling to believe that khan was acting in good faith, third parties let khan know that was up (because she has ipuntya on ignore), cedar had been getting increasingly stressed over the hats and took a step back from the conversation and let ray front, ray reached out to khan via pm, khan posted in her vent thread about being unwilling to acknowledge that the did alter thing was legit (which she also expressed to ray in the pm), and I believe your screencap of that vent thread post was your first post in argument island.

My read on the situation had been a combo of the protecting your friends thing, for ipuntya and cedar, and the make-people-hate-me thing, but I've posted elsewhere that I have a lot of difficulty reading your motivations or following your thought processes when these things happen.

• Like x 1
  5. palindromordnilap

Iiiiiiiiiii, uh, don't do anything. I just let it accumulate until it blows up, I have no idea how to actually manage stress.

6. palindromordnilap

Answering a thing from another thread: the Wikipedia quote was for the "pedantic" thing, basically, I basically just couldn't allow myself to say "I'm sorry" because it would possibly be a lie.
    I don't understand why the difference between "What I did was really fucked up, I'd rather not do it again and I'd like some help with that" and "I'm sorry, what I did was really fucked up, I'd rather not do it again and I'd like some help with that" would be particularly significant. Explanations are welcome.

7. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

I should also mention: Alix, if you ever decide you don't want me here talking with you, you do have the right to ask for someone else to help you.

Like, I ain't a psychiatrist, just someone who's watched you struggle on this forum for awhile.

8. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So, I took Alix back off moderation, because it really came across to me as though people were making up speculative thories as to how Alix would respond to things, then sticking with those theories in preference to what Alix actually said by the time things made it through the mod queue.

9. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I usually use them as an indicator of whether someone is likely to work to change a behavior I dislike. In my experience, the emotional experience of remorse is not a very good predictor for that, but talking about what went wrong and how to fix it is.

10. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

When I get stressed out over something I can't take any immediate action over, I distract myself, either with video games or movies or talking with friends about anything but the topic. If that doesn't work, I go for a walk and try to exercise. If THAT doesn't work, I'll scream and scream into a pillow or destroy something meaningless like a napkin or a piece of garbage.

• Like x 1
  11. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

I usually think of them as consideration for other people's feelings, as a way of acknowledging the hurt you've caused. So I think we're operating from different foundations.

I will say I'm sorry if I came across like I was ready throw Alix in the proverbial dungeon. I believe she genuinely wants to make sure this doesn't happen again.

12. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

I guess I got caught up on the idea that saying "I apologize" and "I'm sorry" are the same things, and I didn't see the use in doing so.

13. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I'm curious - where are you getting this about what 'people' are doing? There isn't a lot of back and forth in this thread. Is it from people's vent threads?

14. palindromordnilap

That might work. I was actually playing a video game just before that, but then I paused it once the drama happened, and it was neither the kind of game where you can relax nor the one when you can just blow stuff up, well, the way I play it, at least.

Also, could I get at least some definition of what people here would define as remorse/guilt/whatever? Because I always have a very hard time figuring out my emotions and it's possible that it is actually a thing I feel, but I've only heard really vague definitions of it, and I know it's hard to describe emotions in detail even for people who have them figured out, but IDK. :/
    Anyway, my post wasn't intended as "I'm not sorry", but as "I don't know if I'm sorry and I'd rather not say something I might not actually mean".

15. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Alix, can you recall your thought process when you decide making people hate you is more acceptable than fighting each other?

• Like x 1
  16. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't able to make the connection between not being able to say you're sorry, from the first post, and the wiki quote. I honestly thought the wiki quote was about why autistic people pick apart the definitions of words. Some of that is probably down to moderation post delays, but even with things in order, I don't think I would have linked the two things without your later explanation, it was a fairly non-obvious connection to me.

And that second part.... I'm trying to dissect my emotional response to the first post, and I think some of it may come down to the structure of the original. The sentiment here is pretty straightforward, and probably a situation where I (personally) wouldn't care whether the word 'sorry' was included or not. The original reads roughly like 'I'd like to apologize [...] but I can't say I'm sorry.' Especially with the disconnect I already had over the pedantry and whether or not you know what 'sorry' feels like, the emotional impression I got was more like 'I want to apologize, but... I'm not going to.'

Then there was the explanation that you don't exactly know what being sorry feels like, and other reference to 'I don't like that there were negative consequences', and the explanation that you think you do these fucked up things for the sake of others, and my emotional impression of your post drifted all the way to 'I don't feel sorry for what I did, but I guess people think I should apologize.'

That's where my read of it came from at least, can't speak for anyone else. But in general, the more qualifiers you attach to an apology, the more likely people are to side-eye it.

• Like x 4
  17. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

You could try meditation as well, breathing exercises and looking at something calming.

Re: remorse, I would personally define it as being able to understand the feelings of the person you attacked. Of being able to feel the anger, fear and hurt of being suicide baited and recognizing you are what caused those feelings, and not wanting to cause that hurt again solely because you know that hurt is painful.

• Like x 2
  18. palindromordnilap

Basically, "Fuck, people I like are fighting each other/people are fighting someone I like (whichever is appropriate), better try to make it stop by making the anger focus on me instead".
    Oooooooh, okay! Yeah, the "I'd like" wasn't intended as "I want to but I can't", it's just. IDK. A thing I've been told was Politeā„¢ to say at some point, probably.
    I can't stay focused enough for meditation, but I think breathing exercises would help. I haven't exactly tried them but I know I'm at my lowest amount of stress when scuba diving and the way you have to manage your breathing for that is basically identical to breathing exercises, from what I've heard. So, basically, breathing exercises: a thing I definitely should do.

Also, for the remorse thing, it seems to be heavily dependent on empathy. And, hey, good news: that's a thing I feel, both empathy and remorse defined that way! Bad news: I only feel those (a lot of those) towards close friends/crushes, animals, inanimate objects and fictional characters. But hey, at least it might mean there's something to build upon.

19. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

A lot of people have recommended this gif to help with breathing exercises:

[​IMG]

When you feel yourself starting to get agitated and stressed, try breathing with this for a couple minutes?

That's good. Would you say you have a hard time with the idea that sometimes good people can do things that upset you or that you don't agree with, or is this more of a disconnect of not remembering online text is coming from a person?

For example, if someone you just met offline said something that upset you, would you think they deserved to die?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  20. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

This was out of line, again. Delete it, you fucking asshole.

• Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice