SPR After Party 3 - To Be Named When Less Drunk

Discussion in 'Fade To Black [18+]' started by Integritas, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Prince Aiden

Prince Aiden i'm tired of all the noise | 18+

Mm. That’s a Blood attribute. The Kindred all live longer than their wild, landen cousins too—something in the Darkness keeps our bodies young and healthy. Usually we hit puberty a little later though, I was almost seventeen before my voice dropped. And I don’t know that I’ve ever met someone of the Blood that actually lived to old age—at least in Terrielle. I see more grey hair in Kaeleer, where murder is less frequent.

2. Ghilan Lavellan

Ghilan Lavellan parenting the entire world since 9:41 dragon

Ech. Politics.

[Carefully pats Kassius' back. Shhhhhh.] They never claimed to be our sort of human, and at any rate if one believes the stories elves once lived so long as well.

3. Kassius

Kassius very smart idiot (18+)

What would I even do with that sort of time? Or if I was supposed to live a long time, but Kassia wasn't?
    -Now he seems genuinely distressed at that idea. Oh no.-

4. Prince Aiden

Politics. We can’t really afford to ignore them, not the way lower castes can. Too dangerous.

[He doesn’t elaborate on what “too dangerous means”, opting instead to come around the bar and hold his left hand out, extending a single, wicked looking claw from under his nail. It’s held carefully away from any possible touchy hands.] We’re probably unlike your humans in a few other ways too—he’s a Black Widow as well, so he’d be resistant to poison like I am. There’s a lot of physiological changes from landens depending on your caste when you’re Blood, and sometimes your jewel and sex too.

5. Prince Aiden

If it’s any consolation, you probably wouldn’t? I mean, she’d be Blood too, even if she never wore the jewels.

6. Kassius

-He waves a hand.-
    Sorry. Childhood hangups.

7. Ghilan Lavellan

I object to the idea that anyone is 'supposed' to live for a specified length of time.

[Earflick.] Bold of you to assume lower classes can afford to ignore politics either. That doesn't mean we have to like them. Might I ask what sort of physiological changes, though, and when they manifest? [SCIENCE KNOWS NO POLITICS, SCIENCE IS SAFE]

8. Kassius

-His ears droop.-
    Sorry.

9. Ghilan Lavellan

[They squeeze Kassius' hand. Shhh.] It's alright, da'len. It's a theoretical debate, not a truly dire matter.

10. Aodhán

Aodhán saltwater and spite

I GUESS YOU JUST GET A LOT OF HOBBIES AND NOT A LOT OF FRIENDS WHEN YOU LIVE THAT LONG. [he looks a little somber]

11. Prince Aiden

No need to apologize. I’d have been upset by the idea too.
    [He blinks, faintly confused. There’s a disconnect here, somehow.] Uh, well, for Warlord Princes there’s rut—that usually shows up about a decade after puberty, though not always. Some of us are lucky enough to go a long time without it, others... not as much. Jordi killed seventy people the first time he went into it, because the timing was... poor.

The snake tooth—that this—shows up some point during Black Widow training, unless you’re born one. Then it shows up a little after puberty I think. The resistance to poisons shows up around the too, because we have to be able to synthesize our own venom for it. Menstural cycles—I’m given to understand they aren’t the same for landens? I’ve never asked, but I can’t scent a landen woman on her moontime. We can smell and see things that landens can’t, even if our noses aren’t as good as the Kindred. Depending on your Jewel strength, your metabolism is higher... it’s a problem, in family with lighter jeweled children that have a child that earns a dark jewel during their Birthright Ceremony. They don’t eat enough because their parents don’t realize they need more fuel for the power, and waste away.

12. Ghilan Lavellan

Unless everyone has the same life expectancy. But that's... unlikely, in this day and age.

Interesting! Can Blood be born to landen parents, then, or are these all expected?

13. Aodhán

[he raises an eyebrow] THAT’S NOT *POSSIBLE,* FOR TROLLS. EACH CASTE AGES DIFFERENTLY.

14. Prince Aiden

[He shakes his head.] Not unless there’s Blood heritage back down the line somewhere, and even then, they’re likely to be barely half-Blood, not even as strong as the Blood who don’t wear Jewels. The scent is different.

Power can show up by surprise, but it tends to run in families. Caste too—Queens are more likely to have daughters that are Queens, but a regular witch in a small village has just as much chance to have a Queen daughter as a First Circle witch serving in the Territory Queen’s court. My family always had Warlords and witches with the occasional Priestess, and then I showed up... and my niece was the first Queen in our entire family, near as we could tell. [His mouth twitches into a tiny frown, but his smooths it away quickly enough.]

15. Kassius

Is there a known physiological reason why? You're at the top, if I understand correctly, so am I correct in assuming you have the longest potential lifespan and that's a concern?

16. Aodhán

[he nods]
    COOLER CASTES LIVE LONGER. THE LOWEST CASTES GET A COUPLE DOZEN SWEEPS, MAYBE. THE EMPRESS WAS THOUSANDS OF SWEEPS OLD WHEN I HATCHED AND SHE’S STILL IN HER PRIME.
    I DON’T KNOW WHY. I DON’T KNOW IF *ANYONE* KNEW WHY, EXCEPT THE EMPRESS MAYBE, AND IF SHE DOES SHE’S NOT TELLING.

17. Kassius

...so, if she's so old, is it possible she deliberately made that worse, or...? Because you'd think healers could... tell the general reason.
    Ah, my condolences, though.

18. Matthias

Matthias Death, dust, party, repeat

I mean yes mostly it is, but look chocolate cupcakes are delicious no matter what color they are. But I will totally fight you [He's gotta wiggle and stretch up a bit to nip his jaw, but hey he's determined to do it]
    I am, I warned you, you seem to be into it, so stop complaining.

[He makes a little purring sound and aggressively snuggles back at him] Yeah that's the thing, isn't it? [signed someone with no friends but many many hobbies]

19. Ghilan Lavellan

...ah. My sympathies.

['Was'. Hm. Let's not prod.] So the inclination passes on, but not the exact aptitude... interesting. Near as I can tell both are inherited for us, with the odd outlier; magic might sometimes skip a generation, but by and large weak mages produce weak mages, and strong produce strong, with some small additive effect. There are human stories of 'spontaneous' manifestation in a bloodline, but either they're played for horror or it comes out someone had a hidden apostate or affair somewhere up the line. Or both, that's always a treat... Kassius or his wife might be able to tell you more, Tevinter's made a bloody science of it all.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  20. Prince Aiden

Your mages have specializations, right? But not castes? Do those run in the family for you? If your family was all Healer, does that make you more likely to throw a Healer too? Or does your magic just follow whatever lines it will, letting you choose the path you want?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice