1. We've been a little overwhelmed with the rate of moderator activity lately, and @rigel drew the short straw. Congratudolences are appreciated, or you could give generously to the memorial fund for his sanity.
    Dismiss Notice

SPR After Party 3 - To Be Named When Less Drunk

Discussion in 'Fade To Black [18+]' started by Integritas, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Prince Aiden

Prince Aiden i'm tired of all the noise | 18+

Are your mages that few? The Blood are still a fraction of the population, less than half of all humans--I think, the lines do get messy with half-Blood and unjeweled Blood in the mix--but because we're the ones that rule, the Courts are necessary for Territory governance. Landens usually have their own councils and mayorships to report to the District Queens, but the only times the Blood have done away with Queen and Courts entirely, it's been because that power was ceded to a ruling Warlord Prince or one of those disgusting male councils in Terrielle. [He tears this cupcake to shreds too, nibbling on the pieces as an afterthought.]
    On the contrary, aristo families will sometimes try and find a dark-jeweled male to play stud if they've been throwing weak children for too long. Bloodline alone is enough for District Court politics, but not enough to join the court of a Province or Territory Queen. Sometimes they actually pay for the service too, or keep the male on as a consort if there isn't a marriage in the way, but Terrielle, it was usually pleasure slaves used for the service.

[He tips his head, thinking.] Black Widows might be the exception. People fear them, for good reason, and if a Black Widow crops up in a family that hasn't had them for a while, sometimes they're shunned.
    And they just... appear? They're not residual power from someone else, like a ghost?

2. A Mi

A Mi smol, NS

Mi! Am mi. Names.... mi? -it shrugs as much as a tiny ball of cat can do so-
    Mimi! -the mi runs around in a fit of ZOOM-

3. Ghilan Lavellan

Ghilan Lavellan parenting the entire world since 9:41 dragon

Hm. A side effect of mages in general not being shunned, I suppose; outside of Tevinter, the human nobility often wish to pretend they haven't a magical soul in their family tree, and the odd child that grows into powers tends to be quietly shipped away, if they're allowed to live at all.
    A true... hm. Spirits, wisps included, will occasionally pick up memories of mortals so accurately as to believe they are those mortals; but a true 'ghost' as it exists in the public consciousness, a lingering soul of a living person beyond that person's bodily death, has never been recorded. Wisps are as they are, and some of them might claim to be ghosts, but...

[They track it as long as it remains in their line of sight, but they're not overly concerned.]

4. carcinoGeneralship

carcinoGeneralship THE ACTUAL WORST, YET STILL BETTER THAN YOU

MM. [smorch, since he’s in range] I’LL JUST PICK YOU UP AND CARRY YOU AROUND.

IT MAKES A FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCE FOR EVERYONE ELSE, THOUGH. SOLLUX IS A SMUG, INSUFFERABLE LITTLE BITCH, BUT I DON’T WANT TO WATCH HIM GET OLD. AND NEPETA’S MOIRAIL IS BRONZE, SHE’D OUTLIVE HIM TWENTY TIMES OVER. THE LONG TERM IS SECURED, IT’S JUST LIVING THROUGH THE *NOW* WE HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT. GOD TIER IS GOOD FOR THAT, AT LEAST.

[he makes a face] IF SHE GUTS ME, THAT’S HEROIC. I WOULDN’T *BE* GETTING BACK UP. BUT IF I CAN HOLD MY OWN AGAINST HER LONG ENOUGH, IF I CAN DISTRACT HER, THEN SOMEONE ELSE COULD TAKE HER DOWN WITHOUT GETTING ANYONE *ELSE* KILLED. I’M DONE HAVING PEOPLE DIE ON MY WATCH.

5. Kassius

Kassius very smart idiot (18+)

-He flinches and tightens his grip on Ghilan's hand.-

• Witnessed x 2
  6. Ghilan Lavellan

[They frown and squeeze back; after a moment's thought, they also lean over until their shoulder meets Kassius'. Not Quite a hug, but between trapped hand and not trapping a flinchy elf that's probably for the best.]

• Like x 2
  7. Kassius

Sorry, ah... did you say slaves?

8. Prince Aiden

That happens in landen families sometimes, if there's a throwback. Landens are afraid of us, for good reason, so if the District Court isn't actually checking up on their villages beyond collecting tithes, half-Blood and throwback Blood children get abandoned or killed by fearful landens. But among the Blood, it's more likely for an unjeweled Blood child to be pitied for their loss--broken Blood get the same treatment.
    Huh. That's strange. We don't really have things like that, not just... existing. There's stories, sure, things to scare kids at night, and there might be some in Hell but... all of our ghosts are echos of power that remains. Without a mortal shell, it never really comes into being otherwise.
    Mm. [He doesn't sound happy about it.] It was common practice in Terrielle. It's banned in Kaeleer, but in Little Terrielle, it might as well be in existence anyways, and some of the immigration contracts are just slavery by another name. I was lucky.

9. Kassius

-He grimaces.-
    That's horrible.

10. Prince Aiden

There's a reason everyone's trying to leave. There was a whole... thing with the Kindred territories and smug Terreillien Queens, but I wasn't paying much attention at the time, keeping my head low. It all worked out in the end, once the Dark Court was formed. Any Territories the Lady owns, the practice is banned, and she won't hesitate to make sure that rule isn't broken.

11. Ghilan Lavellan

Mm. Somehow I'm not surprised.

Power is power; it exists without mortals to draw on, just as the wind or the rain. I would be interested to know how more defined spirits survive without mortals to feed on-- the more differentiated they are, the more specific requirements they have-- but from what I can tell it's less that they need the conduit to exist than that they need, essentially, their food to exist.

At least someone's doing something about it. [Grump Elf.]

12. Prince Aiden

You--one of you, at least--said that they live in the Fade, which is almost like Darkness. We don't really have anything that lives in the Darkness itself, and the power from it only manifests in the Blood through our Jewels. Or through Witch, I suppose, but I'd always thought that was a myth before coming to Kaeleer.
    Someone had to eventually, I suppose. It helps the people coming over, but Terrielle's too far gone at this point. I don't know if there's any way to fix it. I can't blame her for not looking at a different Realm to try though, not when she's got her hands full with this one.

13. Matthias

Matthias Death, dust, party, repeat

Yes. There are may one in a thousand with any mage Talent at all if we count the minor ones, one in ten thousand strong enough to be a serious contender. There are some...hmmm fourteen Million people in the London Metropole area. So of those, only about 14 thousand have any Talent at all and only thousand fourhundred are strong enough to work what layhumans would recognize as magic.
    There are three more necromancers in the general area and none of them can raise corpses. One does seances and exorcisms, one is using their talent to solve old murder cases and one is a priest of Erishkagal [and honor among the god-touched means this is the only one he's semi-friendly with] and undead herself and she basically focuses on supplying death rites to other undead.

We're not enough to govern much of anything since humanity invented the crossbow. So mages are just... Sorta part of society and mage politics are a sideline at best. Most, even powerful mages, prefer neutrality.

Terrible, to be barnacled onto you all hours of the day. [He somehow manages to look serious]

It's always the problems for future!you, hmmm? Not that i'm not familiar.

[He leans back against him and thinks it over while tracing a nail over the webbing between Karkat's fingers] don't think her killing you would automatically be heroic. If you tripped and Fell into her fork, i don't think it'd count.
    That said, i strongly support bringing extra fire power of the non-mortal kind. I don't suppose you got like rocket launchers?

14. Prince Aiden

[His eyebrows fly up.] Mother Night, that is a lot of fucking people. I think the capital city of Dharo has a couple hundred thousand at most. I can't even begin to imagine--how do you feed all of them? How do you govern all of them? That's just...

15. Kassius

-The wisp cautiously drifts over to Aiden.-

16. Prince Aiden

[He's not going to feed it any power, especially not after warning off Assaraanda about whispering books, but he holds a finger out to it after shielding himself (and his thoughts) tightly.]

17. Kassius

-She(?) lights upon his fingertip, warm and fizzing, and hums a clear tone at him.-
    She says hi.

18. Ghilan Lavellan

They do, yes. Eh... what do you mean 'through witch'? Witch is just one of many colloquial terms for mage, so far as I'm aware.

Mm. I can't exactly argue with prioritizing, much as I would like to be able to deal with Corypheus and Orlais and Tevinter all at once. There is always a way, but even on a circular path there are two directions to choose from.

19. Prince Aiden

Hello. [He directs that at the wisp.]
    She’s a myth we have, but also something real if you believe the rumors about the Queen of Kaeleer. Dreams made flesh. The rest of the Blood, we’re born and we live and we die just as people, but Witch is woven from the hopes and dreams and secret longings the rest of us have. She’s more than just Blood, she’s... almost like a goddess, I suppose? An avatar of the Darkness.

The Queen of Kaeleer, they say she wears Jewels darker than Black and she can see a man’s whole life written on his soul with just a glance. I’ve never met her though. [Outside of the rave, at least, but he doesn’t think that counts.]

• Like x 1
  20. Matthias

Matthias Death, dust, party, repeat

With a lot of paperwork, mostly, and many of the blessings of chemically enhanced agriculture, really, though the system needs some serious overhauling in places.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice