sprained wrist?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Penumbra, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

copypasted from my vent thread

i fractured my growth plate in 6th grade, and yesterday i did a ton of color guard shit without stretching properly and i think i mightve sprained it. i have it in an ace bandage and on ice, any advice??

2. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

P much that, keep it stable and try not to use it too much, not much else to be done. Anti-inflammatory of your choice is probs your best bet if you need a painkiller, but if you do take smth you gotta remember not to strain it while it "feels" better (guess who constantly forgets that and wrecks my ankles worse, it meee)

• Like x 1
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Elevation can help, but your mileage may vary on how annoying versus helpful it is. Depending how much it's bothering you, places like pharmacies, target, or lots of grocery stores, they have inexpensive wrist braces with a rigid component to keep your wrist even more stable than an ace bandage will. Right before college graduation, like an idiot, I sprained my wrist and three fingers on my dominant hand. I wasn't able to get away with not-using that hand for work and life and things, so I spent the summer in one of those braces, and used it on and off through grad school, when all the typing and writing would start to get to me. I was still able to use the hand pretty decently while still keeping the joints stable.

If this continues to be an issue with color guard stuff, one of my friends has said she had luck using compression bands on her wrists during exercise, but I'm not sure how much was concrete help and how much was placebo effect. Ace bandages bother me during exercise because the ends never stay QUITE where they should be, but I know some people who are fine working out with them on their arms. Or a lot of the inexpensive braces are designed to be at least somewhat workout-friendly. The ones I used had a rigid piece down one side of it, for maximum wrist stability, but I'm pretty sure there are soft ones out there too.

• Like x 1
  4. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

yeah the problem is I'm 3rd in command so I have to help teach the freshmen, which means using my wrist more than I should be

I had a soft brace but I left it at home :|

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice