Strange breathing pattern?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Shades of Love, Oct 5, 2017.

1. My friend has recently noticed that when they breathe it's not one long continuous breath, but a lot of shorter breathes with a tiny pause between each one - both on inhale and exhale. My friend is referring to it as stutter breath and I've been thinking of it as choppy breathing.

It is not what I usually think of as the sobbing breath, that usually occurrs when you've been crying for a while - in my case, three sharp breaths in followed by a sighing exhale.

It's probably worth noting that my friend has anxiety and has been under a steadily growing load of stress over the last several months.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Have you ever heard of or encountered anything like it before?

2. lex

lex + 0.2% luck

im a very anxious person and i often catch myself breathing unsteadily or holding my breath without noticing

it usually comes along with a lot of muscle tension and tightness / pain in the chest

usually i start up with diaphragmatic or otherwise purposefully deep and slow breathing before i realize why because ive been practicing it for a few years and its second nature now

perhaps it would be useful for your friend to take 5-10 minutes out of each day to sit and breathe, to practice so that it comes easier without dwelling so much on it (which can often increase anxiety and make the problem worse)

3. Thank you, I can try suggesting that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice