Sub-accounts

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Sub-accounts are a feature (from an addon package) which in theory let you post under multiple IDs without having to log out from one account and go to another. There should be a little thing near the upper-right that shows your user name, click on that to see a menu, one of the things on the menu is "sub-accounts". You should be able to create them.

I can see sub-accounts, you can see your own, but you shouldn't be able to see other people's.

THIS IS NOT FULLY TESTED. Please don't do anything where you feel you'd be endangered if you got identified because there could totally be ways to identify people that I haven't found yet. If you find one, please PM me.

2. seebs

Technical bits: First, I'm not totally sure what inherits. I would advise against things like signatures if you want to use sub-accounts to be anon. There are things called "banners" that I don't think we're using but I think I saw a bug report about them inheriting also maybe.

Admins (that's me and Jesse right now) have the technical ability to look up ownership of sub-accounts. I don't plan to use this without a very compelling reason. The intent is that they're there to let you separate something out if you want to talk about a thing and not have it be tied to you.

3. definitelynotwiwaxia

definitelynotwiwaxia toblematic praxon

Testing

• Like x 1
  4. definitelynotwiwaxia

5. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Looks like signatures, user titles, and avatars don't inherit. Also, I can't edit posts made by definitelynotwiwaxia right now.

e. also, as an interesting aside, looks like you don't get notified of likes on your sub-account's posts, not that that really matters much

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    • Like x 6
  6. definitelynotwiwaxia

7. Wiwaxia

8. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

quotetest for u

9. Wiwaxia

Okay, I don't get "x tagged you in post" or "x quoted your post" alerts for definitelynotwiwaxia.
    @Starcrossedsky: I meant a PM actually, which this forum software calls conversations for some reason, but the quotetest turned out helpful too

10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

11. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

I already started a conversation with you. I'm guessing you didn't get an alert then??

12. Wiwaxia

nnnnnope. And the conversation's not in my inbox, either.

e. if definitelynotwiwaxia's got a separate inbox, I can't access it (I also can't edit definitelynotwiwaxia's avater, user title, etcetera)

@seebs: do you wanna do a sub-account ban test with definitelynotwiwaxia at some point?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  13. seebs

Huh, interesting. I am not sure what's supposed to happen with inboxes and things.

Shall investigate.

14. the_fake_seebs

the_fake_seebs New Member

Okay, testing a thing.

15. seebs

Okay, I added another addon called login as user, should add a button in the upper left, shouldn't let you do it to any users except your sub-accounts, though. I hope. When it's in use, red button in upper right shows temporary ID.

• Like x 1
  16. flea-riddled

flea-riddled totally secret sub account

thanks! this will help.

17. Wiwaxia

Seems to work. I got all the alerts and PMs directed at definitelynotwiwaxia successfully.

• Like x 3
  18. Wiwaxia

Hmm, thought of another thing worth testing. Can someone ignore me and see if that affects definitelynotwiwaxia's posts and vice versa?

19. rorleuaisen

Just ignored you. Did not affect sub account.

• Like x 1
  20. rorleuaisen

Sub account ignored does not affect main account. I just looked through this thread as a test. Anything more specific in mind?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice