Subaccounts: Deleting definitely disrecommended

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Oct 19, 2016.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So by request, I did MAD SCIENCE and attempted to merge a subaccount into another subaccount.

Result: I had to shut down the board and manually enter SQL commands to unfuck things.

Conclusion: I am not doing that again.

• Like x 10
  2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Sounds like a good idea not to.

Could be useful to clone the server and experiment on the clone, but I'm not sure what kind of hosting you're using and if you have snapshot/clone ability.

• Like x 1
  3. seebs

I don't really have snapshot/clone type stuff handy right now (though i might in new hosting, if/when that happens).

So basically, the subaccount stuff doesn't cope well if an account goes away.

• Like x 1
  4. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

also, it would be useful for you to warn us before you do MAD SCIENCE.

• Like x 1
  5. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

The problem with that is you don't realize you're going to madly break things until you do.

• Like x 8
  6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

doing a new thing never done before is at least a time i'd anticipate FORUM BORKED results. the problem is moreso, how to give warning that a decent portion of us will see in time?

• Like x 2
  7. seebs

Yeah, normally I try to be more careful, but there were a bunch of very distressed people and I was trying to fix one of the things.

• Like x 3
  8. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Is it possible to outright delete subs that have never posted instead of merging? I have two that I made completely by accident and am never going to use. I'd rename them and use them, but they're accidental subs of other subs!

9. Deresto

Deresto Misunderstands handshake, goes for a high five

Anyone can correct me if im wrong, but as of right now ( idk what the new hosting can do) experimentation says no. A mod can still sever it into the void tho

10. Burgerpants

Burgerpants password is shitpost1, have fun ;)

Cast them into the void with me!

• Like x 3
  11. seebs

Oh, it's totally possible. It just fucks things up in a fairly severe way that can't be fixed without taking the site down. Posting has nothing to do with it.

• Like x 2
  12. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Okay, well, that should never happen then.

13. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Is renaming a subaccount relatively simple? If they've never posted, then very easy to rebrand without confusion. And so if someone wants to give up a hoarded username...

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice