Suggestion I should call police set off my phobia

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by ChelG, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I have a really intense phobia of having my internet use monitored and being arrested over having occasionally seen thumbnails of chan art while looking for something else, which I rationally don't think is likely but I'm still afraid. Today I was involved in a brief altercation on the street - I got cursed at and backed up against a street sign and bruised my leg, the whole thing lasted mere seconds - and my social worker suggested calling the cops. I don't think they'd do anything much because it wasn't a severely dangerous encounter, just an idiot yelling stuff, but it's set off my anxiety again, and I'm really worried about having this phobia now. What happens if I ever actually have an emergency? And I saw some kids getting questioned by a cop near my home, which exacerbates the worry even though it was clearly unconnected to me.

• Witnessed x 1
  2. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

I am positive that you wouldn't get arrested for something like that. Do you live with someone or live alone? Cuz having close people reassure me can help my anxiety. And if there is an emergency maybe anyone who might live with you could make the call?

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I live alone in assisted housing; I can contact a social worker for support any time I need to. I spoke to mine this morning, and said I don't want to call the cops because a) the thought was giving me a panic attack and b) I don't think they'd do anything for this because it was a couple seconds of getting yelled at, not serious harm. However, I saw him walk up the street and I'm pretty sure he lives in the same housing estate I do, so I provided a description of him and the lady who witnessed it and asked if I was okay, so she can check if he does, and if he does I asked her to tell him that's not appropriate and I will call the cops if it happens again.

Told my Nan and she says it sounds like the guy was high, so if they do find him and find evidence of that it'll get investigated. If not then he's just a dick and needs to be told so.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. Alaspooralice

Ah ok, well in case of a real emergency do you feel comfortable calling your social worker to talk you through the call/make the call for you?

And as far as the recent thing, if he was high I'm not sure he would even remember you to harass you again? So if you don't feel comfortable calling the cops I would say it's fine to not. But if you feel threatened by this person I would say report it. I don't think there is a wrong answer to the recent event. Whatever would put you at ease.

5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think he should be warned not to do it because the next person he bothers might call the cops, and I know it wasn't personally aimed at me so I'm not afraid of him. I just happened to walk past him and he happened to be a jackass, and I wasn't scared so much as angry. I don't want to make a big deal out of it anymore, but I do want the social worker to see if she can find him and talk to him. I don't think the housing managers want people like that causing a scene in the neighbourhood.

I'll discuss my phobia with the social worker just in case of emergency, I think. I did mention it to her but should discuss an action plan.

• Like x 2
  6. Alaspooralice

That seems fair! Seems like you're feeling better, which is good! I hope the action plan with your social worker goes well!

7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Rrrgh, someone used a triggery icon on an RP site. I didn't click it or anything, just scrolled past it, but seeing it is going to make me freaked out for ages. Doubt I'd be blamed because usually people on that site have the common courtesy to not use explicit icons, but I'm still icked out and worried.

• Witnessed x 2
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Thing is the art technically is illegal here. Someone reassure me?

9. Alaspooralice

Oh geez, I mean, I think you have to be in possession of the illegal thing for you to be charged? Just seeing it is probably not enough to arrest you for. Especially cuz you were not seeking it out.

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah, I rationally know that but it really helps to have another person say it. I just... I need to talk to my life coach about my paranoia. It's really hard to imagine that I'm not being watched by authority figures for the slightest mistake, because in my teenhood I was.

• Witnessed x 1
  11. Alaspooralice

Yikes, that sounds really scary. Do you have a therapist right now? It might help to talk to someone more qualified than me, though I will totally still try my best to reassure you.

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm speaking to a life coach who does some counselling; I can talk to her about it.

13. Alaspooralice

That's good. Are you feeling any better?

14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

A bit, yeah. Life coach is currently away so I'll need to wait, but I can handle it.

15. Alaspooralice

Okay, feel free to ping me if you need me! Hopefully you can talk to your life coach soon.

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

She can't talk to me this week, there's been a family emergency. Of course I get my attacks at the worst times :( Rationally I know nobody has reason to be monitoring my internet use, and if there was a problem the RP site I was browsing would be blocked before they tried to arrest anyone who'd been using it and happened across icky shit. It just really helps to have other people say so. I've been nervous for a couple days, been jumping at the sight of council workers in reflective jackets because police wear them too. It's getting out of hand. I've been making sure I still get outside so hopefully it'll go away on its own when nothing bad happens, and I'm keeping in mind to remember to put the filter on before even just browsing character lists now.

• Witnessed x 2
  17. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Things that are picked up incidentally through browsing rather than being sought after are generally ignored; they're looking for people distributing or amassing large collections of illegal things. Nothing to worry about, IMO. I forget what country you're in?

18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

19. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Should have guessed when you said 'council workers'. Though that may be used in some former colonies as well?

And yeah, UK law is ridiculous.

20. Alaspooralice

Oh shoot, sorry you can't talk to your life coach right now. Is there anyone else in a councelor type position you can talk to IRL?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice