suggestion: rename argument island

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Aug 19, 2016.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Piper mentioned in passing that some of her communities have a thread/channel/something entitled "Could Have Gone Better" for hashing out things that went awry in strange ways, and I like this name.

Any strong opinions either way on a possible rename of the hash-things-out forum to "That Could Have Gone Better" or words to that effect?

• Like x 11
  2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

...I actually really like that? it feels like it reduces the urgency/implied anger involved, at least to me.

• Like x 6
  3. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I just want to point out the irony of you not even using the actual name of argument island in the title of the thread about changing the name XD

• Like x 6
  4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

It's a good reference but like hell can I remember the name.

Eta: So yes, I support this proposition.

• Like x 1
  5. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I can't spell the current name of argument island so yes, approved.

Though TBH I've always found it a bit weird that argument island, witness me, and brainbent are all separate forums. To me at least they're all the same manner of "working your shit out" spaces.

6. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

They're very different types of "working your shit out" that are often not very compatible though. And arguably, the entire forum is some manner of "working your shit" out space

• Like x 7
  7. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I parse argument island as "two+ peoples had a disagreement" witness me as "rest in pepperonies (either figuratively or literally)" and brainbent as "internally screaming" in terms of...metaphors, I guess.

Only the first one requires more than one party (unless youre arguing with yourself, but I don't...know if I've ever seen that happen), the middle is grieving something, and the last one is just (yelling bird.jpg), so I can't see what you see.

To be on topic: anything would be better than (scottish gaelic i cant spell here), and the fact that no one refers to it as (more scottish) but rather "argument island" speaks for itself. I agree with the suggestion.

• Like x 6
  8. seebs

Brainbent is a historical quirk; it was originally going to be a discussion forum specific to the "Brainbent" homestuck AU.

Witness Me is for "I am sad, acknowledge my sad". Argument Island is for "we need to hash this out and it could get sorta rough". And brainbent, in its new form as a sort of general venting area, is for "I need to complain about a thing", which is not really the same as "I am sad, acknowledge my sad".

• Like x 4
  9. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

yep

argument island is "me and another forum member have gotten into a heated disagreement and need to work it out"

witness me is "someone i know died and i'm upset and i want acknowledgement and support"

brainbent is "i'm having Feelings and i need to vent about them, and possibly want acknowledgement and support and validation"

three great tastes that don't go great together

• Like x 6
  10. hanka

hanka the sweetest double agent

call it fight club instead.

• Like x 2
  11. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

bad idea

• Like x 3
  12. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Funny, but alas, not a good tone to reference.

eta Even if a penguin mascot would be cute.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    • Like x 4
  13. hanka

hanka the sweetest double agent

you are all weak i'm telling my imaginary friend brad pitt on you

• Like x 20
  14. bunnies!

bunnies! Actual Moe Bunny Girl, Holly

(งÒ-Ó)ง is my name suggestion

• Like x 4
  15. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

not angry enough ᕙ( ︡’︡益’︠)ง

edit: wait

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ง-]—- ᴇɴ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇ

• Like x 8
  16. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Replace the entire argument island forum with a .gif of two bunnies bumping into eachother and falling over.

:'P

• Like x 9
  17. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

See, I would support this, but how would anybody tell people where to go then?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like x 16
  18. seebs

That's why we have guidelines instead of rules.

• Like x 10
  19. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I requested a ban from that subforum, it's essentially already like that for me.

On topic: I like the idea of changing the name. Argument Island/(a series of letters I don't remember) is a little fighty/hard to remember how to spell. I mean I know that's where the fighty can go, but maybe it would be good to have the name be something else so it feels less like Fight Zone Where You Should Do The Fighty. (Maybe I am completely mischaracterizing it, I asked for a ban a while ago.)

• Like x 3
  20. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

"The first guideline of Kintsugi is that we don't talk about kintsugi"

• Like x 15
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice