suicide baiting

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Skeletor., Feb 1, 2017.

?

what should be done in cases of suicide baiting?

1. involuntary temporary moderation queue.

2. involuntary temporary ban from subforum in question.

3. involuntary permanent moderation queue.

4. involuntary permanent ban from subforum in question.

5. whatever the user who did it voluntarily chooses, maybe nothing.

6. nothing, period. we're a hands-off forum.

7. other. (comment below.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Not to be contrary, but I just gave you various privs relating to closing threads and soft-deleting posts or threads.

• Like x 8
  2. kmoss

kmoss Under Construction

in addition, has a time zone that works

3. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Still catching up on the discussion but I wanted to get this down.

How about an "i need support" thread in Top Serket? People could post that they want someone to talk to in vent thread or pm and what might help them and people with spoons will know to check there

• Like x 10
  4. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Would you be okay with being a mod, if given the opportunity? Because if so, I'd vote for you as at least one. If not, then I still think you're very calm and impartial, which is still really good for a board like this!

• Like x 2
  5. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I would say that "active" is probably the most important of the three; calm and impartial are absolutely necessary, but one chunk of the problem is that the blowups almost exclusively happen at off hours.

• Like x 5
  6. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Y'ALL ARE JUST OPENLY MOCKING ME. I feel so welcomed. XD

Seebs I know you only did this at that moment to make a liar out of me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like x 19
  7. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm up all evening most nights, tend to pop into here 10-20+ times a night while I'm ruminating on things to do, and have successfully moderated a group of about 20 for five contentious years with only a minor blow-up or two.

Not exactly the same as a group breaching 1,000, but it's something. If no one else better can be nominated, I'm willing to volunteer my services, but I'm worried about having enough influence/faith to merit a nomination in the first place. I'm not well known right now. I mean, I mostly just publicly discuss politics here even if I try to keep up to date on the forum itself. If it were to happen, I'd probably step up my game and stop commenting on things via alt accounts that only pertain to one subject.

This is by far not an attempt to garner it for myself, but putting myself out there in the event more are needed for my time zone (I'm up from 8 P.M. CST to 5 A.M. CST most times). I do believe that I can be qualified with a small bit of practice if no one better can be found. But, uh, I kinda think there's many better options in terms of community familiarity.

• Like x 2
  8. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

I am uncomfortable with the idea of mod choices being up for public vote or comment, as a general statement. (I mean obviously if Seebs chose someone that made most of us go "wait wtf" that'd be one thing, but I don't think he'd do that.) (Not that I'm objecting to Beldaran!)

• Like x 12
  9. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

though you'd probably make a really good mod if you felt you were up to it

• Like x 1
  10. Ipuntya

oh.

• Like x 6
  11. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I agree. But it is kind of funny phrasing "I'd support you as a mod choice and think it's a good idea" as "I WOULD VOTE FOR YOU FOR BOARD PRESIDENT. LET'S GET CAMPAIGN BUTTONS, BELDARAN/XAVIUS 2017"

• Like x 4
  12. Ipuntya

i suppose then that now is not the best time for me to say that i think you'd also make a good mod

• Like x 2
  13. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

Not to sound rude but I am very, very uncomfortable with the idea of someone being made a mod with no community input what-so-ever.

• Like x 2
  14. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Opposite from me, I'm very, very uncomfortable with the idea of someone being made a mod just on the basis of The People Have Spoken. Not that there isn't middle ground between the two extremes, but anything that starts edging towards feeling like a popularity contest sets me on edge like whoa.

• Like x 17
  15. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

im uncomfortable with mod being up for public vote. public input, maybe, public coment, sure, but the vote thing reminds me too much of a popularity contest that would create automatic tension involving whoever was voted in.

• Like x 14
  16. rje

rje here comes the sun

I do have a question: why does the ignore feature only hide the posts of the person you're ignoring, rather than also hide your posts from them? On other social sites w/forums I've been on, ignoring or blocking a person would basicslly hide your existence from each other -- you don't see their posts, they don't see yours. I much prefer this, since for me, when it's bad enough to use the ignore feature, it's come to the point I don't want them to be able to acknowledge me, or me them.

Tho I recognize this is more than some want. Could it be added as like...a second stronger tier of ignore function? Like having 'Ignore' and then 'Block'.

• Like x 4
  17. Mercury

If you're comfortable with saying so, why's that?

I'm coming from where Spock and Ray are coming from on this, but I'm interested in seeing your perspective.

• Like x 1
  18. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Yeah, public vote seems to me to invite accusations of popularity contests and resentment. I think a unilateral decision for mods is fine, as long as we're allowed to voice objections should they not be a good fit.

• Like x 9
  19. Mercury

That is very sweet and I'm flattered! I'm also wondering if I should run for the hills at the hint of dreaded Responsibility. >_>

• Like x 5
  20. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

I feel like moderators are something that have to be chosen as a balance between people the community is familiar and comfortable with (Which is why I edited my post above to clarify that I'm only putting myself forward as an option if barely anyone else qualifies for my time zone because I know I am not an especially well-known person) and people that are traditionally reliable as moderators (for the reasons mentioned above - calm, impartial, active). I think ultimately it's a decision that we should trust the moderation team already existing to make - Seebs and Jack are very familiar, obviously, with the forum's crowd, but that they should hear feedback in the aftermath if people were to be like "WHOA WHAT THE HELL YOU MADE SATAN HIMSELF A MOD THIS ISN'T COOL HE KINKSHAMED ME ONCE".

• Like x 13
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice