suicide baiting

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Skeletor., Feb 1, 2017.

?

what should be done in cases of suicide baiting?

1. involuntary temporary moderation queue.

2. involuntary temporary ban from subforum in question.

3. involuntary permanent moderation queue.

4. involuntary permanent ban from subforum in question.

5. whatever the user who did it voluntarily chooses, maybe nothing.

6. nothing, period. we're a hands-off forum.

7. other. (comment below.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Clarifying a few things, from things that were said earlier in this thread, I probably missed stuff though:
    - I was mutuals with failure-artist (ended up unfollowing because yeah, turns out she does have some maturity issues, TBH), and she helped me through my suicide attempt last year, which is why I reacted badly because I thought the people on that thread were going to make her Ray 2.0. (On that note, I'd like to point out the "brain-damaged freak" comment was an ironic remark similar to, say, "those poor child-coded autistics can't consent" or something, but it was indeed way out of line.)
    - I did say I wanted to publicly apologize and sort this stuff out, but then someone (I think Seebs or Jesse?) said they were going to separate the drama part of the thread from the actual FA part, and I had planned to do that in the new thread that would have been created, but this ended up never happening.
    - I created another account so that I could make subaccounts for RP characters, and didn't plan on doing that kind of stuff again.

Anyway, yeah, what I did was really fucked up, there's no arguing against that. As I said earlier, I have issues accurately judging myself and my memories get kinda fuzzy when I'm stressed, so I'm gonna ask for some help figuring out why this happened and how to avoid getting into that situation again. In the mean time, I'm gonna ignore ASPD Anon and Vivec and request a ban from argument island.
    I'm also in favor on adding more mods in different time zones, especially if I'm on moderation queue because I'm on European time.

• Like x 3
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Because that's what "ignoring" is.

That is a "block" feature. That is a different feature.

I don't know. I really dislike features that let you change what other people can do, in general, and I've seen block-type functionality abused a lot more than I've seen it used in ways that made things better.

• Like x 3
  3. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

For the record I'm not proposing a vote, and my issue with this comes from it happening suddenly, and to someone I barely know, let alone trust, for no stated reason. No one else in this thread was given the opportunity, Seebs didn't say this is something he would for-sure do, and I'm frankly kind of getting the vibe that Seebs doesn't trust the community to be impartial or mature about who we want moderating us.

• Like x 1
  4. Aulualala

Aulualala Alarmed Jellyfish

Would it be possible to get dedicated subforum mods and divide the duties? Because I think that also might help with spoon distribution: people who have more spoons available can volunteer to be on some of the potentially-more-demanding areas (Holler Closet and AI come to mind), people who keep to their corner can still volunteer to assist their corner, and the number of people running around to cover timezones and spoons doesn't mean that forced action is imminent.

Plus, touching on that 'people who keep to their corner' thing, I'm sure there are some users who I could trust to handle certain areas but would not feel comfortable with in other parts of the site, because they might have a negative reaction to certain types of conflict but be able to handle others perfectly fine.

• Like x 12
  5. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

Thing is, Beldaran is known to a lot of the community because she's been here from the start, I think. And the mod team has known her for ages. If you're relatively new/not active in the areas of the forum she's active, I can see how she seems like some rando, but she really isn't.

I don't think Seebs made Beldaran a mod out of distrust of the rest of us. I read it as a spur-of-the-moment "Haha, you just volunteered yourself!" thing done teasingly-but-seriously to a friend.

• Like x 6
  6. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

i think suggestions are nice, but ultimately i trust seebs' judgement the most on who is reasonable and level-headed enough for the role. the reason i'd prefer people like beldaran and mercury for the role is bc they strike me as Very Responsible Adult types, which is a people type i generally trust to have the power to do things good and honestly
    i am very uncomfortable with anything coming close to the facebook block feature

• Like x 4
  7. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

I, in fact, prevented Seebs from giving this forum a terrible name and suggested the current name.

Seebs has been considering making me a mod for like a year+ but waffled into the sunset about it for a while.

• Like x 11
  8. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

I am in favour of a block feature so long as it comes via asking the mods or agreeing on a mutual block.

• Like x 6
  9. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

*snrk* I am not at all surprised.

• Like x 2
  10. Ipuntya

wait, what was supposed to be the forum's name originally?

• Like x 5
  11. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

Okay. That's nice and all I suppose but it's still a random appointment without any input from the people it effects and why is Beldaran being a friend/long time member trumping the opinions of, again, the people it'll be effecting. How can I regard what you or seebs or anyone else says about Beldaran being trustworthy and impartial as anything but heresay.

• Like x 1
  12. Beldaran

"Kintsukuroi" which is Incorrect for reasons that I can explain in a different venue that's for me rambling about Japanese language.

• Like x 8
  13. witchknights

witchknights 27 Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Yeah, beldaran is probably the number one person I'd think about as possible mod. Not only for level headedness and stuff, but also for "has a working relationship with seebs, at the bare minimum".

• Like x 6
  14. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Huh, I didn't remember that part. I just looked up the name of the pottery thing and found two words and couldn't tell which was which.

• Like x 2
  15. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Legit, I thought Beldaran was a mod already. She's defused a lot of fights and has been a calm and regular community member since generation, and has been involved in the same recovery circles online as Seebs, Jack and Vastderp for a long time.

If you don't mind me asking @mahina, what kind of credentials would you be looking for in a mod, and is there any options you'd find more comfort in than not?

• Like x 6
  16. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I don't know what to suggest aside from looking through some of the many threads she's moderated. Beldaran is a trained moderator.

• Like x 5
  17. Ipuntya

this sounds like a very interesting story and i hope someone makes a thread for this

• Like x 2
  18. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

mod-picking seems like a topic for a new thread, though, especially because the topic of suicide baiting and death threats and responses to such is hardly exhausted

• Like x 9
  19. Ipuntya

this is a good point

20. Beldaran

**mediator

Also I agree with Wiwaxia. We should probably have a new thread for this.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice