suicide baiting

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Skeletor., Feb 1, 2017.

?

what should be done in cases of suicide baiting?

1. involuntary temporary moderation queue.

2. involuntary temporary ban from subforum in question.

3. involuntary permanent moderation queue.

4. involuntary permanent ban from subforum in question.

5. whatever the user who did it voluntarily chooses, maybe nothing.

6. nothing, period. we're a hands-off forum.

7. other. (comment below.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

On a forum like this I'm not entirely sure. I'm not saying Beldaran is unqualified, and my qualm is against the random-ness of the appointment without, again, any input.

A heads up to future events like this at the very least and for other volunteers to also be seriously considered, rather than just "yep you're good, here's some staff powers".

Again, my qualm is not against whether or not Beldaran is qualified. I don't know them, I've never spoken to them personally, I'm not in a position to make a judgement call on anything but the lack of community input on this sort of thing first.

• Like x 3
  2. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

Kintsukuroi sounds decent, but not really for a board? I kind of like it for something like an alternate term for someone who uses this board? Or a Bleach Zanpakuto name.

• Like x 2
  3. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

I'm out for now, ping me if you have any specific questions to my POV and I'll get to them though :-) in this thread or another doesnt matter

4. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

that's the one
    I've been awake for a very long time @.@

5. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Frank Zappa quote time:

I can't tell when you're telling me the truth.
    I'm not.
    How do I know anything you've said to me is...
    You don't.

It's not random, it's arbitrary. That's very different! I didn't pick a name randomly. I just picked a name based on my own goals and beliefs without really consulting other people. Which is how I run the forum, because while dictatorships are pretty deeply flawed in a number of ways, they are a pretty good model for smallish communities if you happen to get lucky with who the dictator is.

Beldaran wasn't picked because she's a friend, or a long-time member. She was picked because she has specific and relevant training, and because I've seen her perform moderating-type duties with skill and professionalism in the past. I don't always get along with her, I don't always agree with her, but I trust her to generally act in ways that are consistent with my intent of the forum's philosophy. And you don't have to know that, or believe it.

To put it another way: Look at the state of the US and tell me with a straight face that elections produce better results than my personal whims do. :P

• Like x 12
  6. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

I think Mahina has a very good point. Even if Beldaran has 85% or higher community approval a move like that probably should have at least had a "Hey, I want to do this thing" announcement first for others' inputs.

...Wiwaxia is also likely right that we should make another thread to talk modship; we're jumping the gun a bit with this being a solution when this topic is far from exhausted.

• Like x 5
  7. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

8. rje

rje here comes the sun

May I ask the people opposed to a block feature how its abused/why its a bad idea? Legit asking bc I don't know and after thinking, I can't see how it's bad. Mainly bc for me, out of sight, out of mind and me and the blocked person can go about our lives afterward. Which to me is the best outcome.

Also as soon as i realized i asked that first question that way seebs i knew you were going to comment saying "thats what ignore means" lol. I was just too lazy to edit.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like x 1
  9. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I'm ambivalent but I think everyone (ETA: who is opposed) is kinda coming from a place of seeing how it was used on tumblr
    i.e. asking for examples of a certain group, then blocking everyone who comes forward
    or arguing with someone and then banning them so they can't respond to your post

not to say that everyone does or will do that! But I think that's where the thought comes from

• Like x 1
  10. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

So, I'm going to do that stuff I mentioned as soon as I can (AKA when I find batteries for my mouse, I'm on my phone right now), but I have no idea where to put it. A new thread or an existing one? If a new one, in which forum? :/

11. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Ok since a bunch of people liked this and I didn't see any disagreement, I went ahead and made the thread. Feel free to give feedback. Hopefully this will help us be more on the ball with offering support when needed in the future!

@ mods: if this is a thing people are going to use, it might warrant a sticky

• Like x 10
  12. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Personally I'm a fan of being able to block if needed. I don't like the idea of me having someone on ignore, while they're able to read what I write and could be responding to it for all I know. I'm pretty intensely paranoid about that kind of thing and a mutual 'you don't see me now' button would be nice >.>

• Like x 10
  13. Zibanu

Zibanu Well-Known Member

Basically what @KathyGaele said. I don't like being vulnerable like that. My problem with tumblr's block is that is can br used to remove all sign of dissent or proof of wrongness from posts. On a forum, where literally everyone else can still see all the posts involved, I don't have the same objection.

• Like x 12
  14. rje

rje here comes the sun

I'm still slightly confused but I've never used Tumblr's block feature so that probably doesn't help haha.
    I guess my problem is not seeing how that's a concern regardless, like...if someone who doesn't like me blocks me for an arbitrary reason that's no skin off my nose, even if it was someone I liked. And if I'm in the middle of a discussion or argument with someone who blocks me in the middle of it, then well...I guess the discussion/argument is over and I won it, lol.
    Maybe it's just that I'm not bothered by people blocking me, at all. I'm more bothered by someone possibly talking shit about stuff I'm saying and not being able to respond. Take out them being able to see what I"m saying and that solves the problem.

• Like x 3
  15. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

another user doing something to my experience of the site without my consent or knowlege is not something i like. (example: ignoring a user does not notify them. that's fine because if im ignoring them i dont want to interact anyway. blocking a user would change my experience of the forum suddenly without notice, and it might take me days or weeks or months to find out this is happening)

im also nervous about the ability to block someone from seeing your posts, but at the same time not have them on ignore, so someone can see my posts but i can't see or respond to theirs.

• Like x 7
  16. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

er, should clarify, "everyone" in my post was "everyone who is opposed"

• Like x 1
  17. Zibanu

Zibanu Well-Known Member

I think the feature being proposed would basically be a mutual ignore, so this concern at least shouldn't be a problem.

• Like x 2
  18. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

I'm not thrilled with the idea of people suddenly missing big swathes of context, or possibly entire (non-vent) threads, because someone put them on ignore.

• Like x 9
  19. Zibanu

Zibanu Well-Known Member

Honestly for me the best solution would be a mutually agreed upon ignore that informs the user if the other user breaks it but that sounds impossible

• Like x 4
  20. kmoss

kmoss Under Construction

i would be fine with, say, two people sitting down and going "ok we don't like each other, let's put each other on ignore"

i would not be ok with someone going "i don't like this person, so now they can't see me but i can see them, and i may not know that that's happening"
    i like knowing things that are going on. it's why i don't ignore people on here, actually. It's also why i had to get out of the larger skype groups - because if a conversation happens in an area where i am, i expect myself to know what's going on. this is a personal brain issue, but I think that since this forum is for people with personal brain issues in a lot of cases, it's important to point out.

At the very least, if someone blocks me, I want a way of knowing who did that, and that it was approved by someone else.
    If someone ignores me, I don't care.

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice