suicide baiting

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Skeletor., Feb 1, 2017.

?

what should be done in cases of suicide baiting?

1. involuntary temporary moderation queue.

2. involuntary temporary ban from subforum in question.

3. involuntary permanent moderation queue.

4. involuntary permanent ban from subforum in question.

5. whatever the user who did it voluntarily chooses, maybe nothing.

6. nothing, period. we're a hands-off forum.

7. other. (comment below.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I chimed in saying that you'd made the threat, since I remembered that something taken-as-threat had occurred. I admitted I didn't remember the details, but I also answered with more confirmation than I now wish I had.

2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

This is sort of a pet peeve of mine. I'm aware that I often miss social context related to power, and that this can cause things I say to look like they might be threats, but they aren't, and I get really annoyed when they get interpreted that way, especially when the interpretation persists past me pointing out how much I fail to process things that way. I can accept that people will sometimes read me in reasonably normal ways because they're not used to me. I can't accept that people will ignore it when I point out that these interpretations don't actually fit how I behave.

• Like x 2
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Yeah. You'd been pretty visibly confused by anyone having taken it that way, and went on to say that it wasn't a threat and that you have no particular reason to do the thing. I messed up, not going back for the source (especially since that would have reminded me of the followup conversation).

4. seebs

This is why priming is such a big thing, pretty much. If you're reminded of part of an event, you're likely to remember that part, not so likely to remember the rest of it. Anyway, no big deal, we're cool.

5. Silvereye

Silvereye 89 White Paladin Traverses The Cosmos

There was some discussion of mutual-ignore here. It's a fairly old thread, made a few crises (and forum versions :P) ago, but can be revived if necessary.

• Like x 1
  6. seebs

In theory, anyway, the ability to ignore specific threads helps. Of course, not so much when the problem is "can't not see what people are saying about me".

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice