suicide baiting

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Skeletor., Feb 1, 2017.

?

what should be done in cases of suicide baiting?

1. involuntary temporary moderation queue.

2. involuntary temporary ban from subforum in question.

3. involuntary permanent moderation queue.

4. involuntary permanent ban from subforum in question.

5. whatever the user who did it voluntarily chooses, maybe nothing.

6. nothing, period. we're a hands-off forum.

7. other. (comment below.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Skeletor.

Skeletor. Member

im kind of terrified of the one person that says "absolutely nothing should be done in all situations" rather than even "what they voluntarily request" bc like

i don't know

at what pt does hands off become passively enabley

at what pt do you care more about how the forum ~looks~ than people being hurt

am i a bleeding heart for this or like

• Like x 3
  2. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

It's very much a problem, I agree, and I think that people making their own felt needs heard would help us in figuring out what to do.

Running about like WE NEED TO HELP THEM without their input isn't helpful, so like, what help do people actually want?

We also need to know what help the people doing the thing want too. In the past people who did this wanted moderation, so that was easy. There have also been people who had their subaccount making privileges taken away. There have even been Big Drama times during which new accounts weren't approved right away in order to avoid nonsense. But none of these things can be done right now right now right now because the latest suicide baiter isn't here and won't be here until they get out of the hospital, and the mods are asleep.

We'll really have to wait and see what everyone wants, and there is no policy or set of rules that can just prescribe what will happen.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like x 1
  3. Skeletor.

Skeletor. Member

k cool so thats a yes

if i ask a mod to delete this sub will all my posts go away?? or do they stay up for archiving

i just dont want to be able to post from here its more stress than its worth

4. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

that would be me feeling snarky and uncharitable because i like nice binaries of total anarchy or defined rules and if we aint getting defined rules id (personally, this is not an actual suggestion of what should Be) rather it be all the way gone

5. Beldaran

I'm confused about what this is in response to.

6. Skeletor.

Skeletor. Member

^

7. Beldaran

I hadn't even seen that post when I was typing up my long reply, which is why I added the quote to make it clear what I was responding to.

You do what you gotta do though dude. Thanks for making the thread, I think it'll produce productive discussion.

8. Beldaran

Seriously though, people panicking about WHAT IF THE GREAT EVIL STRIKES AGAIN need to calm their tits. The GREAT EVIL is safely ensconced in the hospital, so let's please just try to have a discussion without an over abundance of panicked flailing.

• Like x 3
  9. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I have no idea what prompted this thread but having been suicide baited a couple of times I am personally in favor of letting the user pick the first time, offering voluntary moderation if it occurs again, and maybe being put on full moderation if its a persistent problem with no remorse.

• Like x 13
  10. Beldaran

Yeah I mean, to be clear, the population of people who have been suicide baited is quite large and most react in their own ways. I've been suicide baited here before too but what I need will be different from what someone else needs.

• Like x 2
  11. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Oh yeah for sure, that's just my particular take on an open and flexible system. I'm not proposing anything like a 3 strike rule or anything like that. I prefer to work with 'give benefit of the doubt, only impose involuntary restriction if someone is dead fucking set on being a fuckwit.' x3

12. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

i go with whatever seebs thinks is best because i, for one, love our benevolent overlord and am happy to allow them to dictate the forum as they please

• Like x 3
  13. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

That sounds like something a seebsbot would say :p

• Like x 8
  14. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

of course, we're all seebs sockpuppets after all, even you're no exception

even seebs, seebself is a seebs sockpuppet

• Like x 5
  15. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

if ur seebs and im seebs then who's flying the forum?!

• Like x 8
  16. Seebs' Sockpuppet

Seebs' Sockpuppet New Member

ME

• Like x 12
  17. Beldaran

Seebs stop suicide baiting yourself, it's distressing you.

• Like x 20
  18. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

so.....a couple of things.

first off, Alix has subaccount making banned on their main account. the reason they were able to create socks is because they had a second account they used for RP subaccounts. so I think the question becomes, what do we do if someone circumvents the measures they have requested be imposed? it's clearly a problem, because it's led to suicide baiting and such, but I don't know what to do about it. Alix's main could be put on moderation for their posts, but that wouldn't help the socks issue. Alix's main is already banned from making subaccounts. so....do we tell them they can't make other accounts, ever, in case they circumvent the bans put in place to help them and others? do we somehow block them from making other accounts? I really don't know.

second, Alix has a lot of difficulty figuring out why they do things, and in the past when they've done this, I don't think it's ever really been discussed why they did the thing or why they felt it was something they needed to do--they just apologized and said they wouldn't do it again. I think maybe when Alix comes back to apologize (because they've stated their intent to do so), people who are willing should try and have a discussion with them to figure out why this is a thing that Alix does and why it keeps happening, and what triggers it, and how we can avoid it happening again. I think that would help in the long run to avoid it happening in the future.

also....Alix didn't create A Crow. I don't know how many people are aware of that, or think that they did, but they only started using the account AFTER people found out that the password was "password". and much as I do not agree with Alix's actions, I'm also sort of not cool with people jumping to the conclusion that Alix must have posted a Nazi sentiment in the walk-in freezer, particularly when there's literally nothing happening recently to make them feel like that was needed. like....whether you like it or not, the fact is that Alix has a pattern of behavior here, and it always starts with some kind of major conflict immediately before the suicide baiting happens, and that isn't a pattern that fits with the initial post from A Crow. not to mention that yes, Alix used it, but....so did several other people? the fact that we are immediately jumping to 'it must have been Alix' when Alix has no way of telling you all that it wasn't them does not sit well with me.

• Like x 10
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

As someone who was somewhat involved in the last incident I may be willing to talk about it. Especially given my own meltdowns that I know for a fact could be far worse than they have been are somewhat similar in how extreme they get and how fast. May though. Taking oneself hostage is a very touchy thing for me so I'm not sure if I could handle a talk nicely. Or less touchy and more it triggers "aon is so fucking done" mode. I suppose. I do want this to stop being a fucking thing though and I don't exactly want them to suffer even if I'm kind of pissy about the self hostage taking and suicide baiting incident.

• Like x 4
  20. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

that's fair.
    I want it to stop too, and I will probably at least lurk in the discussion, if not partake in it. self hostage taking is a less touchy area for me, although suicide baiting is more touchy, but I really, really want this to end, so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice