suicide baiting

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Skeletor., Feb 1, 2017.

?

what should be done in cases of suicide baiting?

1. involuntary temporary moderation queue.

2. involuntary temporary ban from subforum in question.

3. involuntary permanent moderation queue.

4. involuntary permanent ban from subforum in question.

5. whatever the user who did it voluntarily chooses, maybe nothing.

6. nothing, period. we're a hands-off forum.

7. other. (comment below.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

Hi guys I'm back. You might recognize me as one of the people that got repeatedly told to kill herself. I'd love it if that couldn't happen again, especially when I have several of the people involved on ignore and then they make separate accounts to circumvent that ignore. You know, so they can more effectively tell me to kill myself! :-)

Is there any way to link the ignore function to an IP rather than an account? I don't think "having someone on ignore, and making sure they stay there so I can continue not seeing them" is a punishment. Am I wrong?

• Like x 13
  2. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Ignore by IP sounds complicated but it would be super cool if it existed.

• Like x 4
  3. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

given kintsigi's record i think if someone baited expressed serious distress, the community would have attempted to intervene. the community has a solid track record of offering support in crisis.

and honestly in situations where someone is triggered by suicide baiting, i don't think giving them an upfront view at the person who bait them is going to help, at least until everything has settled. it's only been a few days here and i know if i was baited i'd need a few days to collect myself, away from the person who baited me. obviously YMMV but asking people to hash stuff out while triggered feels like a recipie for disaster.

• Like x 2
  4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

if this is directed at me:
    I don't think Alix has changed. I don't think Alix is going to change in two days. I think changing isn't what we need in order to let them back here. I think some form of moderation is required, and maybe Alix should agree not to make any other accounts besides their main, because clearly them having subaccount abilities is a problem. but I also think what's required for them to be allowed back is debugging what happened and putting measures in place so it won't happen again. that's not the same as a person changing, that's a person who's still roughly the same but is now putting measures in place to keep themselves from doing the thing again despite not having changed much.

okay, that's fair. I will agree that if someone's dead-set on continuing to cause trouble, they should be banned from certain areas of the forum. I don't think that characterizes this case at the present moment, but I think it's a useful measure for if this case ends up being that, or if we have future cases that are that.

ignore by IP sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how to do it.

general question: is there a way to prevent a certain IP from making new accounts on the forum?

• Like x 2
  5. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

@ASPD Anon No, that seems very fair. I don't know how that would be put into place, or if it's even possible, but it would be very good if so.

I saw earlier that the ability to make sub accounts can be taken away, so maybe if during the meltdown or after depending on when the mod is around, that function is temporarily disabled. If it's a multiple offender, have them go on moderation. I don't think a ban from different areas of the forum will be effective, as in my own experience there tends to be a kinda heat seeking missile element to my own meltdowns. While I have never done suicide baiting or told someone to harm themselves, mine focus on self-harm via exposing myself to the thing that is upsetting, so I would be wary of the person then going to other areas of the forum and making threads or going to PM's.

• Like x 3
  6. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

If you're referring to my post, that's not what I suggested. I suggested that the AI thread be made for those that are capable of hashing it out, aka non-victims and those not triggered by the situation.

7. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

This surprised me a bit, I wasn't aware of the thing. I can indeed confirm that the account shows up on IP addresses used by a bunch of other accounts. I am not sure how people found out the password, or whatever.

So, observations: Of the posts I can find on that account, the first one comes from the same IP it was registered on, which is not used by anyone else, the second is Alix commenting on the account's password a day later. Or the search isn't finding everything.

• Like x 2
  8. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

...Are you.
    Are you serious.
    I am honestly asking if you are serious.
    Because I think you might be joking, and I want to be sure.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like x 1
  9. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

I think mods touching base more often would be a good thing. Just... let us know you're around and noticing stuff come up and taking care of it as you can. Right now it feels like reports are swallowed into the void and we only find out if they were acted on by accident.

Dropping a note to distressed people would also be a good idea, imo. You may not see social status, seebs, but a personal note from the owner of the forum can go a long way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like x 20
  10. chaoticArbiter

okay, but Alix HAD the ability to make sub accounts disabled. it clearly did not help. they circumvented it. hence my question of is there a way to prevent a particular IP address from making new accounts on this forum that aren't restricted in the sub account area.

• Like x 3
  11. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

Riley has you on ignore, so I don't know why it would be.

• Like x 1
  12. electroTelegram

i am not refering to your post. i was actually thinking more of @leo's, because he was talking about how it's been like 3 days and also tgat the vitcims don't have a front row seat to alix's mindset. but i was trying not to contribute to the "this user is a probelm that needs to be dealt with" direction this thread is going. the comment i made was about suicide baiting in general.

• Like x 1
  13. AbsenteeLandlady123

Um I understand the response and this may be unreasonable of me to ask so if so please ignore it, but if it's not would it be alright if you put those things under a spoiler cut?

14. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

Mahina, I love you, but I'm not super jazzed about the idea of people sitting back and smugly dissecting why I could have possibly gotten so upset about being repeatedly told to kill myself.

• Like x 2
  15. chaoticArbiter

I wasn't aware of that and it seemed like it could be, so.

16. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

Yes. Sorry.

17. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

@raybot gotcha. my bad :-)

Also gotcha, I'm just throwing things around at this point. My main point of interest is "what can we do to stop someone from suicide baiting people en masse"

• Like x 1
  18. electroTelegram

@ASPD Anon yes i was being serious. i stepped out if your thread because it became upsetting to me, so i did not see the posts you quoted. "solid track record" does not mean "perfect track record", but i realize that this is just my perception and i apologize for upsetting you.

• Like x 1
  19. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

Not to spit in my meager rations, but conspicuously absent from my Holler Closet threads (and those of other victims of suicide baiting) are any of the people in here who are going on about, "SUPPORT THE VICTIMS YOU JUST WANT TO HURT ALIX."

So, am I just a rhetorical club you can use to bash people you disagree with?

• Like x 1
  20. AbsenteeLandlady123

It's okay! Thank you, I appreciate it.

Okay so, things that would be super useful to know

- If there's a way to prevent IP addresses from making multiple accounts as per @chaoticArbiter's post. Atm the only thing that pops to mind for me is making the confirmation process a little more hand's on for the mods and that is a thing that I think should be avoided.

- If there's a way to extend ignore to an IP rather than an account, as per @ASPD Anon's post. Maybe a 3rd party extension could do that?

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice