talking to myself in public

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by milkywaybars, Sep 9, 2019.

1. milkywaybars

milkywaybars New Member

If I need to sing, talk, or hum to myself in public, at a normal conversational volume or quieter, in order to concentrate or not panic or get off the bus at my bus stop, that's fine, right? Like talking quietly on the phone.

If I cry, look distressed, or get anxious body-jerks in public, how important is it to control that?

2. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

In my experience, people assume you’re on the phone if they see you talking to yourself (well, maybe not, but I’ve never had anyone say anything about it) and I’ve never had anyone take issue with my constant humming.

Looking distressed or body jerks might make people look, but I think they’re unlikely to do much else. Crying in public tends to attract more attention and people trying to help though.

• Like x 1
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Yeah talking to yourself I am rapidly coming to assume is phone conversations because of those like. Wireless headset things some people wear. Some of them are small, discrete things and I am going to be real I don't look hard enough at strangers to confirm that they've got an earpiece. I'd just assume you were having a phone conversation and move on unless I mistook it for you talking to me. That's stopped happening after getting more accustomed to the phone ear piece things though so honestly you'd probably be good.

Humming and singing I've never seen people get bitched at. A lot of people do it. It's just a thing people do. I'm sure there are some people out there annoyed by that but I've not seen anyone like bitch at someone for it. Because like, one that's rude and makes you look like a dick and, two, everyone and their mom has a phone and earbuds at the very least these days. If it's bugging them that much they'll probably just put on music or something. A lot of people keep around music because of noises on transit time they don't want to be listening to.

Crying...Crying will run the risk of someone coming over to you and ask you what's up. I've had times where literally no one did but I've had just as many where at least one person, sometimes more, came over and were like 'Yo are you fine?' Distress and body jerks people I've not seen people be like wtf about. If your body's jerking I'd assume you were sleepy or some shit. Distress...Like that's worrisome but it's not pushing past the threshold of 'ignore stranger' hard enough to get people asking you about it. There's a certain level of concern that needs to be reached before people will go 'Ok. I know this isn't my business but I need to help,' in my experience. Crying tends to be what will do it. Looking very upset while not crying will just concern some folks though and not enough to get them bugging you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. milkywaybars

milkywaybars New Member

@aetherGeologist

@Aondeug

"I’ve never had anyone take issue with my constant humming."

"Humming and singing I've never seen people get bitched at. A lot of people do it. It's just a thing people do. I'm sure there are some people out there annoyed by that but I've not seen anyone like bitch at someone for it. Because like, one that's rude and makes you look like a dick and, two, everyone and their mom has a phone and earbuds at the very least these days. If it's bugging them that much they'll probably just put on music or something."

Thank you for these extremely useful data points!

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice