that one really weird thing on your mind that is making you laugh your ass off

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Fucker, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I'm The Unspeakable.
    That or Naughty Spiky Tusk

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

• Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Classmate: I can poop on command, I really love pooping

• Useful x 4
    • Informative x 3
  6. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

tumblr_p2ugwbDKBJ1v3vhp5o1_500.jpg

• Winner x 6
    • Witnessed x 2
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I love that extra little bit at the bottom, "magma lair removed you from the group"

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

In another life, GLaDOS as a Canadian vlogger guy.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  9. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

• Agree x 2
  10. Verily

I think one of my favorites of Jenny Nicholson’s long form reviews of terrible media is this one:

The reason it’s one of my favorites is because the first half was very entertaining by itself, but then at around 27 minutes it gets to item number six, and I had no idea how much 27 minutes of context was about to pay off. I laughed until I wheezed. I probably would have laughed without 27 minutes of context, but not like that.

You gotta ride the whole badly constructed rollercoaster of this movie and its attempted franchising to really appreciate the enormity of that drop. If a disappointing rollercoaster got to the climax of its underperformance then spontaneously burst into flame, causing no injuries but requiring a lengthy evacuation process, and then for want of other ideas the amusement park supervisor instructed the seasonal employee operating the ride to please take a microphone and drop it off the ride operation platform into some parched shrubs, sending aggravated rustling through the park’s speaker system to echo over the emergency response proceedings, then somewhere surely a firefighter would clear her throat and repeat her evacuation instructions. Her autotuned voice, soaring with consummate professionalism through the chorus of the song created from the news story about the rollercoaster fire, would capture exactly how I feel about this video.

• Winner x 4
    • Informative x 2
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

TW for suggestive language because. Ya know. Heathers.

It's so stupid but I laughed until I was wheezing

• Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. Verily

Nicola Meighan tweets:
    00A37819-0FC4-478C-972D-D572B587B83D.jpeg

• Winner x 13
    • Informative x 2
  13. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

It’s like when you leave your glasses on top of your head, except with a whole person.

• Agree x 14
  14. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

I'ts like when you leave a person on top of your head.

• Agree x 8
    • Winner x 1
  15. Verily

I swear I've learned what a dutch angle is like five times. This time I have faith that it will stick. It's where the camera is tilted compared to the scene, so the scene is on a slant.

[​IMG]
    The asylum in 12 Monkeys. Very tilt, dutch angle, wow!

Folding Ideas pointed out a dutch angle near the beginning of 50 Shades of Gray, the movie, as something specific the movie did well. The scene was showing the main character standing in front of the extremely tall, intimidating building where she was about to interview a powerful man. The camera was tilted to fit the entire building into the diagonal, adding to the intimidation factor, giving a sense of lack of firm ground, all that good stuff.

Dutch angles might be used to evoke disorientation, confusion, unease, or to provide a literal representation of how things are starting to go a bit sideways. It doesn't necessarily have to be extremely tilted to get the point across, because it is in fact disorienting and might begin to confuse the audience if you overdo it or use it frivolously. Bruce Willis up there is closer to being upright than he is to even a full 45 degree diagonal, and the scene already looks severely askew. It doesn't take much.

Then there is the best movie, Battlefield Earth. Just. Look at this. Bring popcorn. I don't care what you do with the popcorn. Use it as a comfort blanket with a delicious smell, perhaps.

I began to fear the characters might slide out of frame by mistake. Some of those angles look nearly 45 degrees. Is this filmed on a small boat during severe weather? It for real started making me a bit seasick. I have yet to get seasick on an actual boat. This movie is more boaty than a boat.

I thought, maybe the angles are supposed to be showing the interplay of power dynamics, even if that's not a good idea? But no. I checked. The angles do not reliably correspond to who has the upper hand at any moment in the conversation. They're completely nonsensical as far as I can tell.

It's like they couldn't figure out blocking or cameras, and didn't know any other way to fit all their characters into the scene without tilting it like a selfie to take maximum advantage of the diagonal length because they didn't have a selfie stick. Which, it was 2000, nobody had a selfie stick. So I guess that tracks. Or it would if they filmed it on cell phones, in the year 2000.

I never thought learning about dutch angles would make me laugh so hard, then feel queasy, then laugh even harder.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  16. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

so it turns out that the guy from ants canada, which i have been binge watching, is irl a canadian/fillipino pop star, and he does parody songs. this is adorable. he's also bisexual, which for irrational reasons makes me like his educational content even more. i can't explain it. the bugs are just cuter when i know the guy explaining them to me is One Of Us. :D

• Winner x 6
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

that is a twist I was not expecting. what a double life

• Agree x 2
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

upload_2019-9-25_13-18-57.png

it's not even the microbiologists OR the bioinformaticians this time. it's the botanists

img descrip: A screencap of the title of a scientific paper. It's called "Ferns: The Final Frond-tier in Plant Model Systems", which is a terrible pun.

• Winner x 13
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  19. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

no scientist of ANY flavour should be allowed to name things, in ever.

• Agree x 3
  20. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

That’s a weird way of saying scientists should name everything.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice