The Computer Building Rave!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by NevermorePoe, Jun 9, 2016.

1. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Please don your gloves, ground yourselves, and don your glowstick necklaces and shuttershades. We're building computers nerds!

The story so far: My desktop has died, possible for the final time. Poor old zombicomp blue screened and refuses to boot up, i'll be trying to run the hdd on another computer to check it it was a motherboard failure or not, but i've needed to build a new computer for a while. Poor old things managed nine years faithfully, and may have finally bit the dust bunny that sends it to the great clean room in the sky. The parts for the new computer i have are as follows.
    Bits I have:
    Pieces I need:
    If I seem to be missing anything, let me know? I'm assuming at least some people here know more about building a pc than I do. I still don't really get how to figure out how big of a power supply I need, even though its been explained a few times already. Can anyone explain that to me better?

[Edit:] Changed the title! I figure this would be a helpful thread for anyone else looking to build computers, or at least that it might be nice to have a place for people to ask questions about building computers.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

/sits here excitedly

• Like x 1
  3. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

If you're waiting for me to build a computer, you might wanna sample the punch. :p Its gonna take me about a month to get one part. more for the graphics card.

• Like x 1
  4. swirlingflight

My excitement is patient!!

Mostly I just posted to be sure that this is in my watched threads so I can come back and admire computer-building progress as it happens. I'm still a newbling to this land. The fact that I can have my computer on my desk with the case off, running, and watch the fan whirring is still a fresh delight to me.

5. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

cases with windows are amazing, and also demonstrate how quickly these things accumulate dust.

6. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

*camps out in this thread*

My faithful desktop is on its last legs and I need to do a complete rebuild. I will watch your progress and be inspired!

• Like x 1
  7. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i sorta don't want to ask 'cause this might cause an anxiety spiral for people, but... is having the case off your computer dangerous for it?

'cause hearing and seeing (in the 'fishing in the stream of consciousness' thread) that @swirlingflight's computer's case was off made me worry that the computer would get broken or something as a result, since i think the point of having a case is protection.

just yeah, i don't want to take any cases off any computers myself, i just want to be reassured that the people without cases on their computers aren't super super super doomed, computer-wise.

• Like x 1
  8. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

not terribly, the main benefit of a case is keeping dust off the components, my case has never done that well, and this computer lasted almost ten years. As long as its cleaned off regularly it should be fine. The other big worry is impacts, and i will tell you that as a hormonal 14 year old zombiecomp suffered its fair share of abuse. Computers are in general much more durable than people give them credit for imo.

• Like x 2
  9. swirlingflight

According to the guy who built my computer, and is teaching me about programming... There's three reasons for keeping the case on the computer.

(1) So you don't drop things or spill things into it
    (2) So you don't stick a finger in the fan
    (3) So you don't risk touching any of the computer's contents with static electricity and frying a drive.

Other than those things, the computer is fine without its case, especially if you make sure to clean it out regularly. (He has a plug-in device for blowing pressurized air, so he doesn't need to buy canned air all the time.)

If anybody knows other reasons that he didn't mention to me, please let me know!

• Like x 1
  10. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

as someone who's opened up computer cases to check on things while they were running, getting a finger in a fan hurts.

• Like x 2
  11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

thanks! :D

that's a relief.

i don't know of any other reasons, i just think i was paranoid about the possibility of any of those things you guys mentioned happening and just generally how it exposes the innards. ('cause if innards are exposed, it's a lot easier for stuff to get at or in them, whereas when they're not, stuff has a harder time getting at or in them. basically why humans evolved to have skin on the outside and organs in the inside, not the reverse.)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  12. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Its official! The hard drive failed completely, won't start up or even really detect correctly. Thankfully I kept the receipt, so i'll be able to exchange it. I have removed the old desktop from its place at my desk, and placed the laptop there in the meantime. Hopefully, i'll have the new computer built in three months or so.

• Like x 2
  13. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

updated my parts list, still don't know how to determine what power supply i need, will have to research that more, and can't really determine it until i'm sure i have all the parts I need.

14. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

So, i posted on toms guide asking for input, and someone basically gave me an entire pc build which i will probably follow, since they seem more knowledgeable than I am.
    CPU:Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
    CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-C14S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard:ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
    Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage:Sandisk X400 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($74.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case:Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
    Power Supply:EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Graphics Card: GTX 1070 ($450.00)
    Total: $731.85

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    • Like x 3
  15. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

16. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Due to the tragic death of my motherboard, my total rebuild will be happening sooner than planned. RIP my attempts to git gud at Overwatch.

• Like x 1
  17. swirlingflight

[Sympathy like]

• Like x 1
  18. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

We should hold a viking funeral for our two broken motherboards. They fought bravely to survive for many years.

• Like x 2
  19. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

bought a new harddrive, since the old one offed itself.

20. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

For those who haven't seen, the old desktop killed itself with fire rather than suffer the disgrace of being run with linux. Like, the power supply surged, killed the internal components, and then released a ninja cloud of smoke as the stationary computer attempted to escape. At least the hard drive i used was free.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice