The Genderfuck Conversation Sensation

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by devils-avocado, Sep 3, 2016.

1. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

A general-purpose thread for all your gendery meta needs. Got a favorite trans headcanon? Got seven different trans headcanons for the same character? Tropes you love, tropes you'd do differently, tropes you've never seen in the wild? Got a strong characterization preference that you're not sure how to incorporate with different genders? All of this is welcome, and probably more things besides. Hell, there are a handful of characters I usually WON'T genderfuck, and that's an interesting conversation too. Some previous convo material can be found in the Fanfic Snob thread, if anyone is willing to import the relevant bits I would be grateful for ur expertise.

2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Nah nah nah nah nah nah BAT TRANS

• Like x 8
    • Agree x 1
  3. LadyNighteyes

In other news, I remain perpetually sad that the only person to have drawn genderbend art for my primary fandom Got It Wrong. There are characters whose outward behavior would change a lot if you changed their gender, but my fave is not among them, dammit. >:::(((

#the person in question is i think like 16 so i didn't say anything to them #but the perpetual sadness remains

• Like x 4
  4. devils-avocado

woooooo thank you!
    :D :D :D

hm, should I tag this thread with anything? 'potentially nsfw' comes to mind, for one

5. LadyNighteyes

#trans stuff #gender stuff?

• Like x 1
  6. devils-avocado

maybe one of the art request threads could help out? especially if u know exactly what kind of thing you're looking for, that level of detail probably helps

• Like x 1
  7. LadyNighteyes

I mean, a very large part of it is that the Radiant Historia fandom is 5 people and a shoelace (plus @Mercury , as of yesterday :::PPP ). Just. Dammit, one person, he's not going to turn into a tsundere for no reason just because he's a girl.

Of course, the greater tragedy of lack of RH genderswap art is no Dias and Selvan as awful snarky asshole lesbians.

• Like x 4
  8. devils-avocado

(from elsethread)
    it's such a flawless disguise tho... anyone investigating them will be like 'nope obviously not that other person' and their off-duty social circle wouldn't be investigating them at all/wouldn't care/already knows and is in on it

• Like x 2
  9. LadyNighteyes

In news related to superheroes with The Genders, I once read an excellent Watchmen fic with AFAB!Rorschach. Dan assumes she's a trans man, and given what a mess Rorschach is it's impossible to say for sure, because she certainly wouldn't think of herself that way even if she was due to being a right-wing homophobe with massive sex and gender issues. (I love what a mess Rorschach is, both in canon and in this fic.)

• Like x 6
  10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Yeah, they're loyal to the side they're loyal to BECAUSE they're able to present how-fucking-ever there, and having basically been promised transition help is a major part of their motivation for staying on that side.

(I mean also they're kind of. an insecure kid being taken advantage of by the evil cult for information on the protagonist party. but blurring the line between protagonist and antagonist is one of the things I DO.)

• Like x 5
  11. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

TRANSWOMAN PORRIM IS MY LIFE

• Like x 1
  12. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i really like AMAB jade! but i tend to headcanon that she's pretty ambivalent about her gender regardless, so i don't know that it'd change much about her personality or circumstances compared to cisgirl!jade

also bat trans is really interesting to think about! holy gender, batman

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

canon: Cybersix, a weird old canadian show where the main character is a dorky teacher and also a catsuit wearing ...vigilante?

• Like x 4
  14. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Doot doot doo just quoting my own post to carry over the bat trans conversation~

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. devils-avocado

aaaahhhhhhh my childhood :'3 what a gorgeous show. sappy, romantic, inexplicable, genderfuck mad science shenanigans. A++, would formatively experience again.

the source material is. weird. I intend to read it properly sometime, if/when I learn to read French.

• Like x 1
  16. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i love that this is an option 'cause, even though i usually do norm the genie from fairly oddparents as basically a cis man, i also like the notion of him as either a trans man or nonbinary. and i have no context or ideas for the trans headcanons, other than them just feeling kinda nice.

but...

(transplants an old post of mine from my norm the genie thread)

• Like x 2
  17. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Given how utterly cavalier the magical world in Harry Potter verse is towards magic that drastically changes a body, I magine there's some spell or moderately hard-to-make potion that switches a person's body from bio-male to bio-female and vice versa. It's common knowledge that when unknowingly dosed with this potion (for prank reasons), some amount of people will *completely freak the fuck out*, some amount will just carry on as normal or flat out not notice, and a small minority will go "uh, no, that's fine, don't bother with the antidote, I actually like this more". Wizards being as they are (completely uninterested in questionning the principles behind things), I imagine they consider this last case a rare side-effect of the spell/potion itself.

• Like x 17
  18. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

I'VE READ THAT AND OH MAN IS IT SUCH A GOOD FIC

linky for the interested: http://archiveofourown.org/works/88925

• Like x 3
  19. LadyNighteyes

...Now I'm imagining wizard transphobia which is based on an entirely different paradigm from Muggle transphobia and treats trans people like they're drug addicts.

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 1
  20. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i like trolls being monosex aliens with no way to establish tits = girls and not tits = boys because theyve 1. all got the same genitals, and breasts, because theyre not used for feeding kids, are probably just based on where fat happens to settle on the particular troll and 2. theyre all raised by giant animals with no sense of trollian sexual dimorphism.

i like the coercive gendering being tied into casteism thing porrim hinted at because it makes way more sense than the humanesque sexual-dimorphism-based gender system hussie plopped in for seemingly no reason. and because lusii are specially bred for each caste, it would be very easy to tip the gender scales in favor of one or the other for any particular blood color.

• Like x 10
    • Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice