The Grouch's Trash Pile [Baldur's Gate 3]

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Mercury, Dec 15, 2018.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

oof that's expensive, but sweet potato and chickpea are both Pretty Filling in general, so hopefully that'll help? Maybe look into like lentil patties or something, lentils are cheap as balls here, idk if they are where you live

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Lentils are pretty cheap here! Every recipe I've found for them includes breadcrumbs, so I'd be happy for any suggestions for recipes that don't.

I kinda miscalculated and my one sweet potato and one box of chickpeas is only really enough for two meals, so I'll have to figure out something for Friday. Maybe something with the little tin of chicken I have, and the other sweet potato I bought but didn't cut since I realized it wouldn't fit on the baking pan. And then next week can be rice and tuna and... something.

I also have trail mix, which was kind of a mistake since one of my big weaknesses is trail mix and I sort of ended up eating about a third of it today alone. >_>;; Even if I didn't put chocolate chips in it it wouldn't be safe, combinations of dried fruit and nuts make me go ham and want to stuff my face like a squirrel preparing for winter.

3. Mercury

With great reluctance I have dragged out one of my many fancy, unused notebooks to be sullied by my scribblings on my morning commute.

It's not that I want to keep them pristine (although I do feel a bit like I'm messing them up and may as well be a child with a crayon) and more that I really, REALLY hate writing by hand - but my elderly netbook doesn't hold a charge anymore, I don't have a tablet-compatible keyboard, and I have an hour each way in which I could be writing instead of staring at my phone when I don't feel like reading whatever I bought with me.

We'll see how long this lasts. I REALLY hate writing by hand. >_<

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Mercury

Lunch results: didn’t care for the chickpeas but the sweet potato was A++. I think I can take a bit less rice, too, I couldn’t eat it all.

• Like x 1
  5. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I've seen a couple things with rolled oats or small potato cubes before? Also all manner of Other Crushed Seeds and firm tofu. The breadcrumbs stuff is just kinda filler for texture's sake tho, depending on what kind of lentil you use (brown vs red, vs a mix of both) you may not need it much

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Like x 1
  6. Mercury

I can't eat oats or soy either (food is... challenging) but potato is perfectly fine... that and some egg would probably do the trick!

• Agree x 1
  7. Mercury

“I’m not goth, I’m goth-adjecent,” I tell myself for the 100th time as I load up a Sisters of Mercy playlist

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  8. Mercury

Then again I find The Cure to be annoyingly schoompy and whiny, so that dents my cred a little XD

• Agree x 1
  9. Mercury

I love This Corrosion. It goes hard and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The lyrics seem like they’re saying something but are actually complete nonsense. It’s so stupid and I love it.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Right there with you on the music. My family used to joke that if there were a band called The Disease, it would definitely have to be better than The Cure. I don’t have anything against them, I was just never able to get into their stuff at all, which seemed notable because it was so unexpected. Though I did love the one song of theirs on The Crow soundtrack I think? Something about every night I burn. I’m too lazy to google like a sensible person. But other than that I’ve just never been into their sound even though I love pretty much anything remotely goth.

But I’m not really goth, I protest feebly, which, denying you’re goth was practically a requirement for being goth in high school. So yeah. We can sit together under a lovely crooked crayon “not truly goth” sign with an attractive bat motif, secure in our defense that we’re not wearing all black. Or if we are, it’s not just about style, it’s totally functional because of various compelling reasons.

As for food, a diabetic friend introduced me to the glycemic index. It assigns low numbers to things that take a long time to metabolize, providing long term energy, and high numbers to things that are metabolized quickly, providing immediate energy. There are a lot of things that don’t have numbers, possibly because I’d think it might be way more difficult to get data on how fast particular foods are metabolized into energy than it is to burn them to determine calories. It’s still been a huge help to me though, with matching food strategies to my energy needs. So I don’t know if that helps at all, but it’s out there.

PS: I also love This Corrosion

• Like x 1
  11. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Did you have to call me out like this friends

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. Mercury

LMAO god that's mean but. It's true....

YES that's the one song of theirs I unabashedly like. (Mercury trivia: The Crow came out when I was 15 and when I was finally able to rent it I ended up watching it three times in a row and crying like a baby through two and a half of those watches.) Otherwise I'm lukewarm-to-ehhhh about them at best -- unless it's Friday I'm In Love, which will straight up make me leave the room. I hate that song SO MUCH and I'm not entirely sure why.

Heh. XD I'm also feeling kinda called out, here...

I feel like I'm not really fashionable enough to be goth, I'm just a nerd that wears a lot of black because I can't find enough colorful fashion to dress in head-to-toe candy colors. Although if I could, I'd still wear a lot of black... hmmmm.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  13. Verily

Oh man, my gothness is mostly expressed through oversized black t-shirts with bands or nerd stuff on them.

14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I love This Corrosion, but, consider myself main goth on grounds of fashion, not music*, can i sit like next to you guys?

*And am therefore a terrible fake goth according to some people.

• Like x 2
  15. Mercury

Gatekeepers can go chew rocks, imo. Like if someone says they're punk but likes shit with fascist overtones, sure, get on their case, but most of the "You don't like [x] so you aren't a reaaaaal member of [subculture]" is just being a boring asshole.

On the subject of music, I've been thinking of what music I'd match with my FFXIV characters, and got started thinking about Billy Corgan of all people, and was like, didn't he turn into kind of a huge nut? And ah, yeah, he did - of the kind of crunchy new age white guy getting into Drama™ every five minutes sort - although I feel like I can't trust the sources I've seen since they're about as weirdly snide and unnecessarily nasty about him as they were back in the 90's when it seemed to really, really offend a lot of cool macho rock assholes that Smashing Pumpkins even existed. Is it his weird, high fae creature voice or something?

Anyway, I found this:

nani the fuck

What a fantastic weirdo.

Still love the Pumpkins' music - at least from 2000 and prior, haven't listened to anything newer - even if Corgan is kind of a tire fire (although not any moreso than a lot of other musicians...)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  16. rje

rje here comes the sun

omg RE: The Crow
    that movie
    that movieeee ... I was 14 when it came out and I saw it in theaters with friends and it had SUCH an impact on me. It, and Scream, and The Craft...i literally wanted to dress like Nancy and buy a black coat and electrician's tape to put over my black long-sleeved shirts but doing this in a rural town in indiana in the mid-90s would have been the end of me so .. i lived vicariously through a girl in my art class that was overtly Goth with the makeup and piercings and clothes and I *idolized* her. She got me listening to Bauhaus, Siouxsie & Switchblade Symphony, and then when i was 16 my art class went on a trip to Chicago and I saw a Virgin megastore for the first time in my life and that same girl pointed me to the graphic novel/comic section which i'd never seen before (the only comics i knew were occasional Marvel stuff for kids and Archie, cos those were the only things sold at the grocery store in town) ... and there i found The Crow graphic novel, and two trades of the Sandman, which got me hooked on that, which lead to discovering Vertigo comics in general and thus the creation of Me was begun.

I got on a tangent but just wanted to say that i relate hard to everything in here rn :Y

• Like x 5
  17. Mercury

I think there's a good chance that if we'd met back then, we would have gotten along fabulously (complete with weird-kid-stuck-in-a-rural-town commiserating).

• Agree x 2
  18. Verily

Oh man, the Virgin store in Chicago is where I encountered City of Lost Children for the first time. It was playing on a TV upstairs on mute. I didn't think to ask what it was. It just enthralled me for a while. It was the scene with the plank. Then quite a while later I was browsing the foreign film section in Blockbuster and I picked up a DVD, turned it over, saw the stills on the back, and I knew. It had to be the same movie I barely saw at the Virgin store with the dark jewel tone color scheme. I was positively giddy.

Cody, you can sit next to me. If we can't bond over not quite fitting in elsewhere, what's the point?

• Winner x 5
  19. Mercury

I need to get more aggressive about getting onto transit first and getting a nearby seat because there are way too many able-bodied people who are shameless about scooting ahead of me and grabbing it (and then having the nerve to give me a Look if the second nearest one is next to them and I sit there).

The cane isn’t for show, you clowns! I understand you might be tired and need to sit too but a tiny bit of courtesy isn’t going to hurt you >:[

• Witnessed x 7
  20. Mercury

Want to play video games but. Arms hurty. :(

My mouse hand started bothering me a few days ago - probably because I'm pressing the side buttons waaay more than I used to now that I've assigned them to ctrl and alt - and I tried to fiddle with my ergonomic setup to help and somehow managed to make it WAY WORSE, in BOTH arms. I haven't been resting as much as I should so as a result the pain is stubbornly lingering despite gentle stretches and lots of ice, so tonight, no video games beyond messing with my ffxiv hotbars more such that I don't have to press the modifier mouse buttons so much and make my thumb strain.

(Technical explanation: I made macros that copy the relevant skills to my main hotbar that uses no modifiers, so if I need to AoE I can press the macro and have my AoE skills, and when I need to return to single target I press that macro and have my single target skills. Macros in ffxiv are fiddly and tend to lag but they're perfectly fine for autoswapping skills around before engaging enemies, and I only need to do this on a few dps jobs.)

Still. Hurty. :(

• Witnessed x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice