The Grouch's Trash Pile [Baldur's Gate 3]

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Mercury, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I finished with my week 6 Scala assignments today and am pretty satisfied that I have good proof I can do this coursework at home, even as surrounded by distractions as I am. Writing, though, I have one HELL of a time even thinking about at home - and tbh I haven't done much better at getting it done at workshop. This is a problem I'm not entirely sure how to resolve, which is in and of itself a problem since I need to get my writing project moving ASAP.

To that end, I'm going to slap a site up on Wordpress tomorrow and make it look decent so I have a link to give out to my workshop advisors before my last day (Thursday!!); I only have a negligible buffer but I clearly need a fire lit under my ass, and I'm going to have to be the one to light it.

• Winner x 3
  2. Mercury

OOPS SO MUCH FOR GETTING IT DONE YESTERDAY INSOMNIA BIT ME IN THE ASS

IT’S KILLING ME TODAY TOO BUT OH FUCKING WELL

NOW WHAT DO I EVEN CALL IT, IS QUICKSILVER SCRIBE TOO CHEESY AND FLUFFY BUNNY HOPEFUL AMATEUR

UGH

• Witnessed x 3
  3. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

Names are the worst. But also you can always change it later!

4. Mercury

Domain name though :(

5. Astrodynamicist

Oh. Butts. :(

6. Mercury

Yeah :( I think I may just go with my name maybe, even though having an initial makes for kind of a crap url

At least I’ve settled on a theme template! One of the free ones is exactly the kind of clean, simple look I want.

7. Mercury

I'm a complete goober and it took me until late last night to realize that my name is, in fact, great for a url, as I use M Rhys in a BUNCH of places and love the way it looks and sounds, so... that's what I did. First story goes up tomorrow!!

Today was my last day at the workshop. I spent the morning getting my website into working order, and the afternoon getting a couple of assignments out of the way. I'm a little sad - it was nice to have some place to go and focus on work three days a week, and all the advisors there are lovely people. I think they all liked me, too, which is... a strange feeling, honestly. (Why am I so used to people being largely indifferent or hostile...?)

Fortunately, I don't feel like I'm at loose ends now like I have been every other time a class or training or a job has ended. I have the Scala course and a couple of things to look into re: studies or work, with more to come once my advisor e-mails me some links. (I need to actually follow through with them, which is another can of worms entirely, but at least I have them!) I now know that there's a wealth of museums and other places that have free entry days to take advantage of. I know writing and art social groups exist in this area, if not where to find them, and I'm now just confident enough that I could probably manage to go to a meetup and see what's up, especially now that I know I come across as kind of... eccentric and charming?????????

Gonna do my best.

• Winner x 5
  8. Astrodynamicist

Website looks good!! You ought to put a link to Necromancer on there somewhere, too. (Maybe under Projects? Or add a "buy my stuff" sorta page?)

9. Mercury

Thanks!

I'm of two minds about doing so - I haven't heard a peep out of the company for over a year, much less anything about royalties I may be owed (and their site is a blank page!), but I AM proud of the work I did on that...

I should probably bug them about that. :|

• Witnessed x 2
  10. Mercury

Note to self to ask Paula if it's okay if I put on my site that I'm her editor for her comic.

11. Astrodynamicist

Ooo yeah, that's... that's pretty yikes....

Def poke them. If there are moneys, you deserve them! And good luck

• Like x 1
  12. Mercury

Oh wait, that isn't a *blank* page, uBlock just caught all the ad links put up from whoever bought it after it expired. *sighs*

• Witnessed x 4
  13. Mercury

My advisor sent me an email FULL of information for directions to go next as well as some social activity ideas (a drawing group and a writing group). I'm so glad. <3 <3 <3

I also scheduled my first story to publish on my writing site in about 40 minutes. :3c

• Winner x 2
  14. Mercury

• Winner x 4
  15. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I just read it and I started tearing up somewhere in the middle. I’m still crying a little. It was wonderful. Not to spoil anything for anyone, the identification of the book kills me in the best possible way. Why the fuck not?

(There’s a typo in the sentence “I’d been sure of it when we’d left.” The I is missing.)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  16. Mercury

Awww, thanks for bot hthe praise and the typo catch!

• Like x 1
  17. Mercury

Learning to program: Spending hours eating your head against trying to fix a problem the automatic grader flagged only to find out later that it was, in fact, not actually what the autograder was talking about and the thing you need to fix is something very minor in another file.

How the heck was I supposed to test this myself if my programming environment kept giving me an error that looked like the error the autograder flagged?? :( I wasted so much time on this!

• Witnessed x 3
  18. Mercury

This morning's Fuss was especially intense because of insomnia, and the results thereof (i.e. having to sleep almost three hours later than I'd planned and still feeling like crap). The insomnia was, as far as I can tell, a result of having a day where I took my adhd meds but didn't do a workout. Apparently I absolutely cannot do this anymore and absolutely must have enough exercise I am fairly worn out physically. I'm not the most physical of people so I'm not real happy about this... especially since part of the reason I'm not the most physical people is my shitty leg. Like, the temperature dropped pretty sharply last night and I've been Suffering since about 6 this morning because that leg really does not like the cold, and it made the workout I did more strenuous than I'm really cool with...

buuuut if I don't do one every day, I won't be able to sleep and my body will feel like one big cramp! Yay!

>:|

• Witnessed x 4
  19. Mercury

• Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. Mercury

Man. idk what it is with me this past week, but this chapter of the Scala course went from bafflingly easy to MURDER. It's like I've lost braincells after every assignment until today I ended up in Full Dumbass mode in this last section. It's not the course's fault, it's like I just suddenly totally forget nearly everything I knew about collections, streams, and Options.

I'm not sure how many hours I've spent on it so far, but too many. I posted a question to the forum and gave up for the night and will just try to get the last section done. If I can get the other thing done tomorrow morning, great; if not, I don't get it done and oh well.

I fucking dreamed of trying to figure out a convoluted and longwinded assignment most of last night and I bet that's going to happen again tonight. >:( Between my own poor time management skills and suffering from some sort of ick half the weekend (I made mushroom stew even though I suspect I'm sensitive to mushrooms, and ate more than was advisable under those circumstances... and paid for it with an awful stomachache and flu-ish symptoms. Blugh.)

• Witnessed x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice