The Grouch's Trash Pile [Baldur's Gate 3]

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Mercury, Dec 15, 2018.

1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

that's awful :c are there any affordable like granola or protein bars that are entirely wheat oat and soy free you can keep in your bag in case of emergency? I mean I know this is probably a dumb suggestion and you've likely thought of it but I thought I'd mention it bc sometimes the emotions and hunger make me too stupid to come up with easy solutions.

2. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

There are a couple of kinds of energy bars that are safe for me and I have been keeping one around, but since they're expensive I get really reluctant to eat them if I don't have to. They also only buy me an hour, maybe two before I really need to have a real meal, so I took my chances with the porridge instead because I was just that hungry... in retrospect I probably would have been better off going the energy bar route and like, three glasses of milk, but I was definitely in full 'stupid' mode by that point (esp. because I'm ALSO really sleep deprived today).

Needing to eat super regularly is a huge pain in the ass!

• Witnessed x 5
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

It is. I hope they pull their heads out of their ass and manage to offer food that's safe for you.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Would you mind sharing what kind of energy bars you use? Invariably the ones I like the look of contain soya protein "crunchies" which is the ingredient du jour, it seems. Also I'm glad I found out about the oat thing before I sent you stuff you couldn't eat, but it sucks that you had to eat stuff which isn't good for you due to lack of choice. Witnessed and same-hat-ness.

Edit because phone keyboard hates me

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Similarly witnessed/hatnessed.

6. Mercury

Oh yikes. D:

I don't know how available they are outside of Finland, but Bare Bars are my usual go-to. Despite the offputting health food nut talk on the page, they've been a really solid choice for me - the orange&cocoa nib ones are my favorite. They so simple ingredients-wise I feel kind of bad buying something like that readymade, but my experiments in making something similar myself have not worked out, so...

I haven't tried most of Leader's other bar products - the protein ones all contain either soy or sucralose (which I'm not, afaik, sensitive to, it just tastes awful to me), and I just haven't gotten around to trying the cricket bars (as in contains powdered insect). It seems a little faddish and I'm always suspicious of that with food.

The others are Tupla Protein bars - specifically the choco almond - but I think those are probably even less likely to be available outside of Finland.

I wasn't completely sure that oats were actually a problem until yesterday. I'd been avoiding them all the same, just in case, but I didn't want to test it out and discover I was right. >_>; Stupid in retrospect, but hope springs eternal. :(

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Thanks! They do look good, I'm gonna do some research on availability. There's a similar product here, but the manufacturer subs in some of the dates for raisins (costs, probably), and grape products aren't my friends.

• Like x 1
  8. Mercury

OH GOOD the rehabilitation center posted a menu for next week, I can plan ahead now. Thursday looks okay - the oven sausages are uninspiring but safe - but Friday is meatballs or vegan meatballs, neither of which are marked as gluten free, so it's a mystery what they'll set aside for me. I'd better bring a little something extra with me just in case.

• Like x 1
  9. Mercury

I feel a little like death warmed over today but I'm pretty sure the four days' worth of sleep debt I wasn't really able to catch up on last night are to blame on that. I slept a normal amount but that wasn't... really enough... ;_; Why am I so bad at going to bed on time.

In happier news, when I got back from workshop yesterday I decided a little retail therapy was in order, so I went to Flying Tiger to see what they had on offer now. I fucking love Flying Tiger - they're a variety store with a wide assortment of inexpensive, useful everyday items and toys, but they're all designed by an in-house design team so it's all really unique to them, and I love their style - super cute and quirky and really charming. Even if I don't really want to buy anything it's really fun to browse.

I was delighted to find that their current theme is SPAAAAAACE! I didn't get anything space-themed right then since I wanted to think on what I wanted, but I'm going back later today. I did get a few things, though - some thick socks that have a kind of terrycloth-ish inside, which I LOVE for house socks but I have a hard time finding, some 'yoga gloves' which are fingerless gloves with grippy stuff on the palms, which means I can have warm hands at workshop but not have to take them off every time I need to walk far enough I should take my cane, a manicure set in a little sky blue case with a rainbow on it, a daily pill holder for J, and a bottle of pink lemonade for him.

I think I'm going to get one of those cute as fuck space themed plastic lunch boxes at the very least. :3

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 1
  10. Mercury

I ended up feeling a LOT like death warmed over and long whining cut short, I stayed home and eventually ordered dinner in. Chicken korma for me, pizza for J because he doesn't like Indian food even though he hasn't had good luck with pizza from the place I get Indian from. However, he got a chicken bbq pizza and it ended up being really good. The chicken korma was great, but everything I've gotten from there so far has been really good so I'm not surprised. J will have to eat my naan bread later... it's too bad I can't eat it, their naan is really good. ;_;

I've also played a lot of FFXII and proooobably overleveled, since Belias and Vossler were both pushovers. >_>; The first demon wall was a bit tricky, though, and even with cheesing the status effects by equipping different accessories mid-battle I only just managed to kill it. So that makes for one betrayal, one Fran hulk-out, and one airship with its judge that looked like a Final Fantasy Frollo down. Now I need to pick second classes for everyone and I'm getting decision paralysis, even though I know it ultimately doesn't matter a whole lot.

• Like x 1
  11. Mercury

*squints at e-mail*

Huh. The included lunch thing was a trial run that the rehabilitation center is now ending; we can now either pay for our lunch (which, considering the variable quality of the food, is not worth it at 6.60€) or take a plate of porridge from their ~porridge bar~. I am definitely having some kind of feeling about this.

I... guess that frees me up from the stress of wondering if the caprices of the cafeteria are going to produce something I can eat that day? :psyduck:

• Witnessed x 4
  12. rainbowbarnacle

rainbowbarnacle Cat Aggrandizer

... porridge bar. Are the goldilocks and the three bears learning code in there? X)

13. Mercury

No, they're training in food service, obviously! (A fucking. PORRIDGE BAR...)

On one hand, no more leaving my allergies in the hands of fate. On the other, having two meals a week taken care of freed up a not-insignificant amount of spoons; having to plan for and prepare two (soon to be three) lunches a week that don't have to be heated is going to eat up a LOT of spoons.

*:psyduck: intensifies*

• Witnessed x 1
  14. Mercury

I slept 11 hours last night and still kinda feel this so no... I'm just kind of sick after all. Maybe it's due to the sleep dep or maybe the sleep dep just made me unable to fight whatever this is off, idk. Anyway, no big, even if I am cranky because damn it, I have shit to do today!

• Witnessed x 3
  15. Mercury

[​IMG]

Now Iolis's caster outfit matches his tanking outfit, and I am Pleased. Wish I could say the same for my healer outfit, but I'd need the dyeable version, and eh. Getting together people to unsync a savage raid is harder than grabbing a couple of friends and going through normal unsynced a few times.

Need to dye the rapier a different color though, gold is just not doing it for me.

• Like x 1
  16. Mercury

Still kind of sick but shopping had to be done, so out I went. Got the cute round 'lunchbox' with a spaceship on the lid from Flying Tiger, a nose/ear/eyebrow hair trimmer since my eyebrows are seriously out of control (it's like I hit 35 and FOOM they turned into woolly old man mad scientist eyebrows, and I can't even blame it on T, this happened before that), and spent Chrimbo money from my MIL on a somewhat frivolous but absolutely fantastic new backpack. My old backpack is sturdy enough but definitely cheap - no padded back so it doesn't hold it's shape well and the straps don't like to stay on my (narrow) shoulders unless I have them tight enough it's really hard to get on when I'm wearing a coat. (I bruised my arm pretty badly trying to get it on a few weeks ago because of that), and it's just a basic black. The new one though... this picture doesn't do it justice - the material under the black mesh is rainbow iridescent, not silver, and is very very much my Aesthetic. It's got a padded back, the straps sit really nicely on my shoulders, and it sits at a good place on my back. I fucking love it and I'm going to baby the hell out of it.

I also got snacks for PATCH DAY!!!!!! Last major patch of the current FFXIV expansion, which means EXCITEMENT because shit is going to go DOWN in a major way. OuO

• Like x 3
  17. Mercury

patchdaypatchdaypatchdayPATCHDAY--

one more hour!!!!

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  18. Mercury

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Witnessed x 2
  19. Mercury

Guess who couldn't manage to make themself leave the house to get stuff to make a lunch to take for tomorrow, or even scrounge something up from what they have on hand!

:')

Going to have to try to leave the house early and take a detour to the grocery store on the way and see if I can scare up something I can actually eat.

• Witnessed x 2
  20. Mercury

Grabbed some food on the way to workshop, didn’t pay enough attention to labels and got a protein drink ‘sweetened’ with sucralose and something called acesulfame K - surprise! It was gross! Artificial sweeteners don’t even taste sweet to me anymore, they’re just bitter, weird, and make my mouth hurt. >:[

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice