The Grouch's Trash Pile [Baldur's Gate 3]

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by Mercury, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

So uh I found out that I have to muddle my way along with a more current Java course that’s in Finnish and should have been doing that with the previous year’s course, apparently, instead of the apparently much deprecated one they have in English and in between having to start all over again and relearn things that changed and struggle through technical Finnish when I can barely handle conversational I’m well on my way to a stress migraine

Boy i wish I hadn’t been a useless shut in the past *cough* years and had actually kept studying enough to become fluent

• Witnessed x 3
  2. Mercury

I also wish I’d known from the start not to get too comfy with the English language version, all the stress would already be out of the way and I wouldn’t have to fucking. Redo eight course weeks.

3. rainbowbarnacle

rainbowbarnacle Cat Aggrandizer

4. Mercury

Was in a miserable amount of pain the rest of the afternoon and most of the evening from the stress headache + tension in my neck and shoulders. I'm unhappy this is affecting me so strongly but like, what can I do? Pep talking myself didn't work at all, Just Doing It got work done but I felt physically awful the whole time. I was close to a panic attack for hours.

My SAD hitting its worst point in the year is really not helping, I tell you what.

• Witnessed x 3
  5. Mercury

I should be being responsible and getting things done so I can go to bed early but instead I'm eating ice cream and going to see if all my preparations last night were sufficient for me to curbstomp Exodus

who I encountered completely by accident

it sure was a thing to solve that little floating plant puzzle, get to the summit of that mountain, and then SUDDEN HUGEASS ESPER

6. Mercury

"Exodus erects a physical paling!"

EXODUS IS A DIRTY CHEATER >:T

Anyway that didn't work, but it did get me to cave and look up when I was supposed to get Dispel and found out I totally missed it at the Tomb of Raithwall. :') I'll try again tomorrow...

• Like x 1
  7. Mercury

Cut my hair, finally - I'd let the back and sides go for too long and was feeling really shabby. I also had to cut the top short (40mm, the longest trimmer attachment I have) because I overprocessed it trying to get it lighter after the first bleaching I did back in late autumn... mistake! It's now more butch than I like but the top will grow, and I look much tidier now, which makes me feel better about myself.

Really need new glasses, now. My current ones are 9 years old - I'm not really sure if my prescription has really changed in that time since I just had the one slightly nearsighted eye, but I AM 40, I should probably get them checked. I also just really need a fashion update. Anyone have suggestions for frames for an ageing punk leaning eccentric that won't make me look like a dad? :P

• Like x 1
  8. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

My current pair of everyday glasses are Brazen from Glasses Direct. I also got a pair of Guilder Jargon from the same range as it's 2-for-1; they're my going out specs. This firm does international shipping to Finland. They're very reasonably priced, their standard lenses are pretty light (I'm blind as hell and I'm used to my glasses weighing an absolute ton; these don't.)

Also they do tints and prisms and stuff, which a bunch of online firms won't. They do only work off current prescriptions, though, which means issued within the last 24 months.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Like x 1
  9. Mercury

I FORGOT TO BUY COFFEE FILTERS............ *overdramatic flop onto fainting couch*

• Witnessed x 2
  10. Mercury

Had my first fall in a few years. Didn’t cause any obvious or immediate damage, but I’m starting to feel it. My bad knee feels wrenched.

That obliterated what few fucks I had left to give for today.

• Witnessed x 2
  11. Mercury

Also my doubts that I reaaaaally need new glasses have pretty much been put to rest; I looked up from my laptop screen over the rims of my glasses to the digital whiteboard about ten feel away and noticed considerable fuzzing around even the largest text. For reference, when I first got these I’d get that fuzzing when looking at the same kind of thing from *across a classroom*.

(The optometrist was like, you don’t really need glasses, but I was getting headaches whenever I’d go out from my left eye being that slight amount out of focus. Getting glasses was a definite quality of life improvement.)

12. Mercury

Gggggod yeah I fucked up my leg with that fall. I started pushing my chair out and the top of my thigh did this twinge that was like the physical expression of a key smash. Standing up is going to be reaaaal tricky for a while.

Think I might have to consider dealing with the longer travel time of the bus so I have way less distance to risk falling.

• Witnessed x 5
  13. Mercury

Today has (so far, a couple hours into the evening) turned out to be decent:
    • Giving no fucks meant I stressed less about just plopping course text into google translate instead of painstakingly trying to puzzle it out first, so I got work done more smoothly
    • the lunch I'd been uncertain about turning out was actually pretty good
    • I found out that the people in the workshop who were doing the 2018 Java course also had to start over from the beginning on this year's version, so it's not just me
    • I'm not the only one who has to make use of google translate
    • A flavor of chocolate-covered toffee I haven't seen in years is back as a seasonal flavor
    • J was able to do the vacuuming today
    • the grocery store had the kind of frozen meal I like (a 'halloumi hot pot' with coconut curry, sweet potato, halloumi. green lentils, and broccoli over basmati rice) so I didn't have to settle
    • I REMEMBERED TO BUY COFFEE FILTERS!
    • I got one of the alliance raids I like in roulette, and got a commendation on rdm
    I can take it easy the rest of the evening, although I do need to fold laundry and put together tomorrow's lunch before it gets too late.

• Winner x 3
  14. Mercury

Walking from the train to the metro, dude wearing a “soldiers of odin” (one of the local flavors of neonazi)—

INSTANT adrenaline surge into high alert and (to my surprise) 100% ready to throw the fuck down mode. Tired cripple or not, part of me was seriously weighing the pros and cons of fucking laying into him with my cane right then and there.

Now that I’ve been on the metro a while I’m feeling vaguely sick and upset, and distantly curious about how when I encounter a threat online I get upset and shaky (but still ready to throw down) but in meatspace that didn’t come until after. Maybe because I was moving around outdoors and so didn’t have and physical sensation of being cornered.

I don’t have words about that fucking nazi, just incandescent anger.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Witnessed x 5
  15. Mercury

Whoops, I see I accidentally a word up there - neonazi was wearing a "soldiers of odin" jacket. Fancy fucking varsity jacket-style thing with custom embroidery on the back.

And if you're wondering, "But isn't Mercury in Finland?" -- yes, yes I am. These dumbshits are not the brightest crayons in the box. They made a big deal of starting 'patrols' to stop all the crime being committed by immigrants (lol) and quickly discovered walking around in the cold and wet while very little of note happens isn't very much fun.

16. Mercury

Finnish has seemingly endless suffixes instead of articles and keeping them all straight is so hard for me.

Don’t even get me started on figuring out which words should be compounded and what order to put words in. It’s like English... until it’s suddenly very much not and I’m staring at a group of words that makes absolutely no sense to me in the order they’re presented.

(Today is rough and I feel stupid.)

17. Mercury

It’d help if I didn’t seem to be physically incapable of getting to bed before midnight and so am chronically under slept on workshop days. *eyes Past!me critically*

• Witnessed x 3
  18. Mercury

As you may have seen on The Tumbls I'm now playing Dream Daddy, and after considerably fiddling I finally figured out who I was going to play as:

2019-02-17 13_06_01-Dream Daddy.png

Unfortunately I can't make him act particularly Dave-like, but I'm having a lot of fun anyway. Amanda is Best Kid and if this playthrough ends up just Dad Cheering Amanda On and Making Some Friends simulator, I will be satisfied. (I'm going to try to charm Mat, though, because he pretty much stole my heart in the first thirty seconds I interacted with him, whoops.)

• Winner x 3
  19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

MAT BEST DAD..... LUV THAT DAD......

• Agree x 1
  20. Mercury

Verdict: Mat Good.
    Also, Amanda is Best Kid. Being a Good Dad to her was easily the best part of the game for me.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice