The Oddly Creepy Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Nertbugs, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

For all your weird/spooky/odd needs! Post articles, anecdata, musings, whatever your creepy heart desires.

The thing that inspired the making of this thread: As a kid I watched a show called Tots TV. It was my absolute most favourite programme. Basic premise is that there are three puppets living in a secret cottage in the woods. There's Tilly, Tom and Tiny. Tilly was French and spoke exclusively in French. Tom had glasses. Tiny was the littlest. They had a pet donkey called Donkey, and a magic bag. They went on adventures to the beach, to the park, etc.

Turns out the secret cottage was a real cottage, in some woodland in Stratford-Upon-Avon. Since the show it's been abandoned, and is now utterly overgrown and creepy. Donkey's shed is still there. People have visited and posted videos on Youtube:

Bring me your spooky shit. My tiny blackened heart delights in it.

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 2
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

REPLIES SOLELY SO I CAN CAMP OUT IN THIS THREAD

(remind me to tell you about my house ghost btw)

3. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

inspirobot5.jpg

Vaguely threatening wisdom from Inspirobot

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I remember Tots TV! I thought I was about the only one who did.

Why don't we have a "WTF" tag for likes?

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. anthers

anthers sleepy

i'm camping out here too :o

6. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Nothing is creepier than WEIRD SPACE SHIT THAT WE CAN'T SEE

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  7. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

that's some straight homestuck bullshit right there

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  8. anthers

anthers sleepy

• Like x 3
  9. Nertbugs

Oh man, space is freaking scary. Rivalled only by the open ocean. My bf and I have made frequent jokes about moving to the alien megastructure. As long as they have a good wifi equivalent we're good.

@Acey Waiting with baited breath for the house ghost story!

• Agree x 1
  10. anthers

anthers sleepy

Any civilization likely enough to be able to make rings of solar panels around the sun, which is what a Dyson sphere is, is likely to have at least something. And I agree with you, I live on quite a small island and you learn to respect the ocean pretty quick.

11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

is gross stuff okay?

12. Nertbugs

I'd rule that gross stuff is alright if put behind a spoiler and warned for appropriately. So go for it! Just give people the option to skip it if need be ^_^

• Like x 1
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oh hey, another island person! High five! (Although I don't live there right now, sigh.)

Speaking of said island, there was an abandoned house near where one of my friends used to live. It was just sitting out there in the middle of a stand of pine trees, no visible road anymore, peeling paint, sagging window frames, dark windows.... The yard had been taken over by some sort of creeping ground vines, so it was just kind of squatting on a bed of leaves. There was something extremely unsettling about it. We never went in, but since it was pretty close sometimes we would sneak out there and look at it from the treeline.

14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

awesome! then i am here to tell you about my favorite fungi, the octopus stinkhorn. also known as the devils fingers, or its proper name clathrus archeri, the octopus stinkhorn is the design basis for the alien eggs with the face huggers in them from the alien series of movies. its amazing!

like other stinkhorns they, well, stink! the foul black slime it produces is said to smell like rotting corpses or/and shit and can sometimes be smelled from up to 50 feet away.

they just look fucking radical, like tentacles and goo and weird eggs and its so cool.

other fungi i like are the bleeding tooth fungus (hydnellum peckii) and the genus cordyceps because Whoa theyre Cool.

hydnellum peckii secrete this red liquid from their caps when theyre young that looks a lot like blood and actually can act as an anticoagulant and it looks really unnerving, its great.

[​IMG]

now cordyceps! cordyceps are a parasitic fungi that can make real zombies. most prey on insects and they basically infect the host, making them go to an opportune place for it to thrive and then lock down while the fungus bursts out of its body (at the speed of plant ofc). the zombies in last of us are based on them, albeit to an obvious extreme. here's a clip from the documentary i first saw them in

bonus: one more fact about the alien series, the xenomorphs themselves' little mouth trick is based on the goblin shark! though i think most people know that by now...

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
  15. a tiny mushroom

I love my gross mushroom children

• Like x 2
  16. a tiny mushroom

If y'all like cosmic horror, the Three Body Problem series by Cixin Liu is gonna be right up your alley, and you should absolutely read it because it has fundamentally changed me as a person, I swear

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Any of you guys ever read House of Leaves? It's a psychological meta-horror that defies description and makes you afraid of staircases for YEARS afterwards. I'm convinced that it came to us from a slightly different parallel reality.
    (also the book contains references to books, movies and people that definitely do not exist, as well as some that definitely do. also there are a lot of obscure and strange codes and cartography that when deciphered are VERY UPSETTING)
    Little solace comes
    to those who grieve
    when thoughts keep drifting
    as walls keep shifting
    and this great blue world of ours
    seems a house of leaves

moments
    before

the

w

i

n

d.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  18. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

[​IMG]
    this thing gives me the willies

• Like x 2
  19. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

Aw, the bug-eyed birdy creature is so cute! He's a potoo, right? I love them, they're so weird-looking. :D

ALSO HOUSE OF LEAVES IS THE BEST. I think I mentioned somewhere else, maybe the horror thread, that I seriously wonder if it's based on the story of Summerwind mansion, because I mean:

• Agree x 4
  20. Inkblot

Inkblot I'M GOING TO THE LOST CAUSE PIT, MA

Toothy Grin.jpg
    I found this in one of my pictures folders. I don't remember where I found it. I don't remember why I decided to save it. And I don't know why the incarnation of murder is holding a gumball machine.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice