the steel seraglio

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by budgie, Dec 22, 2015.

1. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

i'm taking a stab in the dark here and hoping someone else has read this.

i love this book so much. think fury road meets the arabian nights: the old sultan is ousted by a religious fanatic who first exiles the sultan's concubines and then orders them killed; the concubines instead escape to freedom and then decide to take back their city. then add in djinni, f/f, and a delightful narrator that gives you such lines as

and

there's a wide cast of strong female characters, and not just strong in the swords-and-fighting sort of way - gursoon was one of the sultan's foremost advisors, rem can see the future, imtisar is a stubborn pain in the ass that in another book would be the one who goes over to the enemy but in this book isn't played as bad for not wanting to fight. you get backstories in that arabian nights story-within-a-story style, which is delightful, and i can understand all the characters even if i don't like them.

i've never met anyone who's read it (not counting the people i've gotten to read it), but if any of you have, i'd love to geek out over it with you.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice