The Twilight World

Discussion in 'The Queen of Cups' started by Zin, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Placeholder thread for Nul's solo.

2. The Queen of Cups

The Queen of Cups What A Lovely Tale

It's quiet, outside, the middle of winter, the world blanketed with snow.

Everyone is asleep, and the moonlight outside has left the snow gleaming, ice crystals catching the light and making the world outside look absolutely magical. It's peaceful in a way that the daylight never is.

You're drifting asleep, looking out at the peaceful drifts of white, when the quiet sound of a violin reaches your ears, muffled by the glass of your window.

3. Mica Kluss

Mica Kluss I have seen what the darkness does

Mica sits up, trying to pinpoint the source of the music without getting up. He's unable to figure it out, so he groans quietly and goes to look for his boots. Ethan is still asleep on the other side of the room. Within minutes, he's opening the front door as slowly as possible so as not to wake anyone.

4. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

The open door brings a bracing rush of chill air.

The violin music is louder, now, and a lilting voice can be heard, sounding out like a chorus of nighttime noise, the buzz of cicadas, the howl of a wolf, the throaty croak of a frog, all interminging to sound like something unexpectedly human...

It's a man's voice, and the song he sings is... oddly familiar...

"I'll take thee away, into a land of enchantment..."

5. Mica Kluss

It's a poem, isn't it? Yeats, or Blake, or one of those. He can't quite recall. It's definitely not something he's heard in a long time, or he'd be able to remember something about it.

He's sure now that the sound is coming from straight ahead, and almost without thinking he starts walking towards it. After a moment, he remembers and turns back, closing the door behind him. No need to let the house get cold while he's gone.

6. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

There’s a young man with long, thin legs just inside the edge of the nearby woods behind the suburbs you live in. Their limbs don’t seem to fold quite right, but the thing that holds your attention more than that is the fact that the strange chorus of sounds is coming from him, as he weaves and dances through the trees, violin held close like a lover and his eyes closed. His fingers are far too long, and his dark hair and eveningclothes are a sharp contrast with the bright glittering white of the snow.

7. Mica Kluss

Mica stares. He doesn't mean to, but he does; the man - the scene is striking. The sound is making him feel out of place, as though he isn't supposed to be here.

He wants to say something, but he doesn't want to be the cause of the music stopping.

8. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

He walks atop the snow without leaving a footprint, spinning and dancing, faster and faster, the music growing in intensity with every passing minute
    His head is thrown back, expression lost in the sounds from the strings and his own throat.

9. Mica Kluss

Mica stumbles back in an attempt to give the dancer more space and hits his head against a low branch. When he looks back to see it, his eyes leave the dancer and he frowns. Something isn't right here. "Hey!" he shouts, against his better judgement. The dancer looks like he might dance himself apart.

10. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

He freezes, and the music screeches with a halt...

...and with it, the spell seems to be broken, as the man lets out a startled noise as he sinks up to his waist in a snowdrift.

11. Mica Kluss

Mica makes his way through the snow to help the man up. "Are you okay?" he calls as he tries to move faster towards him. The man looks completely different now that he's not playing that music, and Mica's not sure what to make of it.

12. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"W...what? Who are you?" He holds his violin above him, trying to keep it safe. "What?"

His eyes are huge, multi-faceted and black as the night sky.

13. Mica Kluss

"I'm Mica, I heard you playing -" He reaches the man and offers a hand. "I thought you were going to fly apart, you were dancing so fast. Are you okay?"

14. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"...L...Lucas. I'm Lucas." He hesitates, then grips Mica's hand and lets himself be helped out of the snowdrift, still taking the utmost care with his violin. "I... I'm not sure. Where am I?"

15. Mica Kluss

"Middle of nowhere, Colorado," Mica tells him. "Where are you from? What happened to you?"

16. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

"I'm.... I'm lost. I'm not sure. I can't... god, everything is foggy..." He clutches his violin tight to his chest. "Colorado? I'm... I'm from... I think I'm from New York?"

17. Mica Kluss

"You think? Oh, shit, I should probably get you out of the snow. My house is down that way, if you feel comfortable going there, or I could walk you to town but that'll take a while..." Mica gestures in the relevant direction. "I can make you hot chocolate, if you want, or coffee. Something hot."

• Like x 2
  18. Lucas Nightsinger

Lucas Nightsinger Play the Song of Sorrow

"I. Er. I think, I'm..." He hesitates, blinking snow from his thick, dark lashes. "....I. Okay, yes. I'm... it's cold. It's... very cold, here. I... it was warm, before. I don't know why I'm so cold... ah... chocolate sounds... very good."

19. Mica Kluss

"It's cold because it's snowing," Mica points out. "Come on, let's get you inside." He puts an arm around Lucas so Lucas can lean on him. "It's not too far. Just a few minutes. Do you remember anything?"

20. Lucas Nightsinger

Lucas Nightsinger Play the Song of Sorrow

Lucas shudders, leaning into Mica, shivering and hugging his violin to his chest. "No... not really. T...thank you. I'm sorry."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice