The Writer Did A Thing

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by OtherCat, Mar 14, 2017.

1. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

The writer (professional or otherwise) has stuck in a cameo, done something particularly egregious in some sense or another (ex: stood up on a soap box to pontificate and so on and you so don't agree with them, written something horrifyingly sexist or whatever. or something you agree with for that matter. ) inserted someone or the name of someone they know (ex: certain Baen writers insert and kill off a character named after a fan).

This would be the place to share your amusement/flailing/exasperation.

My first offering: So, Stirling's new Change book came out, Prince of Outcasts. And I'm innocently reading along as you do, and see that someone is from a place called "Hali." Which at first did not register. Until the character quoted from The King in Yellow. Which is a mysterious play that causes people to go mad for various supernatural reasons, and is a concept creation of Robert W Chambers, who also made The King in Yellow the title of a story collection. The character also mentions needing a "repairer of reputations" which is ALSO a name of one of the stories in the collection. (Character is/was super bitter because his dad was a traitor.)

It was bad enough that in a previous book in the series, there was a weapon shop operated by a guy named Isher. (The Weapon Shops of Isher is the name of a science fiction book by A.E. van Vogt ) But here we have what is definitely a major plot point, apparently based off of Chambers King in Yellow, and it's like Chekov's frigging gun is actually a Sherlock Holmes story that's been incorporated in the plot.

(I should totally not be this amused/exasperated, since I have a tendency to put shout-outs and cameos in my fanfiction, but STILL. I SEE WHUT U DID THAR STIRLING. )

• Like x 2
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I just saw a picture on Tumblr of Idris Elba dressed up on that Dark Tower set.

So I'm just going to say "The Dark Tower" and leave it at that.

• Like x 1
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Haha, DT is ridiculous and I love it for being so goddamned unabashedly so.

• Like x 1
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Oh, I don't know if this counts, but I refuse to believe Brandon Sanderson's insistence that the fact that he made a magic system where wearing an aluminum foil hat blocks mind control was an accident.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice