Therapy options with intransigent parents

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by The Frood Abides, May 12, 2016.

1. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

Hi! Asking for a friend (no, really):

Someone I know is suffering from depression and some other unspecified brainweird (I suspect ADHD but apparently she was assessed for that and came back negative as a kid? but AFAB people go undiagnosed for ADHD a lot so that might not mean anything.) She's over 18 but still financially dependent on her parents. They consider her problems to be "not trying hard enough" and "doing weird things for attention." So she wants to seek therapy but can't depend on them to pay for it, or really tell them about it at all. (I know this is uncharitable generalization but -- fucking neurotypicals.)

I believe she goes to community college in the USA. She's been able to access disability accommodations despite not having a diagnosis, which I was pleasantly surprised by, but it's still affecting her ability to get work done and her quality of life.

What kind of legal/medical options might be available? Sorry about the lack of specific information, I can ask her clarifying questions as they come up.

2. LurkNoMoar

LurkNoMoar Well-Known Member

This might sound obvious, but I suggest starting with the college's free counseling (most colleges have that, don't they?) Because they might be able to give more specific advice about what options are there, locally.

• Like x 1
  3. LurkNoMoar

LurkNoMoar Well-Known Member

Just remembered - it might help to check out mindfulness or meditation groups if there are any on campus. Sometimes they are bullshit culty nonsense, but often they are a good community of mostly mentally ill people, who might be able to offer help and advice.

• Like x 1
  4. Insomniac

Insomniac tired

http://www.samhsa.gov/about-us

It's extremely hard to look for help online without more info. Especially location, something like the county/parrish or nearest big city would help. US crisis and mental health organizations are very community oriented.

• Like x 1
  5. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

@AnneCliche you're absolutely right. :/ Unfortunately even if I knew a more specific location I don't know if she'd want me disclosing it. I'll pass the link along though, and ask her for more information. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice