Things Which Smell: indie soaps/perfumes/etc

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by ChelG, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I don't get to buy many, but I'm fascinated with independent perfume and soap businesses. Is anyone else into that? Post reviews & recs here.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    • Like x 2
  2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I'm going to assume this includes candles and lip balms, in which case: Does anyone else remember when Undel/Neondragon (of Flight Rising fame) did those, and if so does anyone know what she used for her pear flavored lip balm? Because I had a tube, it was killer and lasted me two years, by the time I ran out and went to buy more, she'd stopped selling them to go hardcore mode on FR. and I have been forever disappointed. because that shit was the best.

• Like x 2
  3. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

I really love contact caffeine's scent sticks. Their soaps are nice too. Their haematite dragon scent is GORGEOUS (sandalwood, vanilla, amber and cedarwood)

• Like x 2
  4. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

A dragon scent that DOESN'T have dragon's blood resin? Sold.

5. Ducks

For real. I think a lot of people here would love ruby dragon (melon, lavender, peppermint). And because the perfume is in stick form it doesn't use alcohol as a carrier it suits my sensory issues.

• Like x 1
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Alcohol-based perfumes smell too much of alcohol to me. It fades when they dry but it's annoying to start out. Oils and solids are awesome.

7. Ducks

I have some alchimia apothecary scents. They're fabulous. Druid fluid makes me think of @IvyLB

• Like x 2
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ahhh omg that sounds super amazing but bc i am super sensitive to scents I have to admit I am cautious to buy indie perfumes and soaps online. I have like one or two perfumes that are deemed safe (and even there one of those has recently triggered a headache :C ) and otherwise I can't wear anything but just vanilla scented oil with nothing else. I may have to try with more spicy and herby things that I make myself and that have no alcohol base and go without any of the common perfume base notes in general bc I think floral scents are disproportionately likely to send me straight into nose hell.
    Unless anyone has any suggestions? I want to try indie perfumes and stuff but I also fear it'd end up just wasting money...

9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

If you want to try things, most stores offer tiny sample bottles, and you can probably find a decants circle where multiple people go in on a purchase and the person who receives it separates it out into one little bottle for each of them.

• Like x 2
  10. Ducks

Apothecary scents are oil based and delicious. You can add more oil to make the scents milder, but definitely exercise caution. Sample size bottles are a gift for this purpose.

• Like x 1
  11. shmeed

shmeed plant me

i'm so interested in this, but i'm having trouble finding their scent list, do you know if they have one?

12. Ducks

I just go to the soap listing with the same scent. Their website design is a real pain definitely. There's probably a scents list out there but I haven't looked for it.

• Like x 2
  13. shmeed

shmeed plant me

thank you! i see the scent notes on the soaps now, and ahh so many of these sound wonderful ^^
    i need a new indie scent maker since haus of gloi just cut all my favorites. (they're still great if you like gourmand smells, but i can't stand them. the whipped soaps are super worth getting if you think you might like the smell though)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  14. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Black Phoenix alchemy lab owns my ass so much. I want to buy some Solscite Scents too but I don't know where to start...

• Like x 1
  15. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

brooklyn limegreen has the BEST lemongrass everythign holy shit

16. shmeed

shmeed plant me

mmmmm Haus of Gloi's Reverie collection is live @ http://www.hausofgloi.com/collections/reverie
    i'm so tight on money right now and it's a huge downer because LOOK AT THIS STUFF (this is just a little sampling there's a ton more)
    • Lavender, Pink Grapefruit, & Ginger Bathing Dust
    • Gingergrass, Lemon, & Sage Bathing Dust
    • Tonic #3 Bath Bomb (a clean and green blend of: parsley, peppermint, howood, petitgrain, kaffir leaf, bergamot and dry gingergrass)
    • Black Tea & Milk & Honey perfume (Black tea with creamy milk and a drizzle of honey.)
    • Amber & Wood perfume (new caledonia sandalwood, amyris and three cedars: western red, hiba, virginian)
    • Amber & Rose perfume (russian apothecary rose absolute, tonka and madagascar rose geranium)
    they may have cancelled my favorite scents but i'm still a haus fanboy
    i just need to scream because i desperately want 80% of this release

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    • Like x 3
  17. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

:o
    :O

• Like x 1
  18. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Like x 1
  19. 2dawn

2dawn Three ounces of whoop ass

Seconding bpal. I know they do samples of some kind, too.

20. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I have a spreadsheet with all my BPAL samples, it's kind of ridiculous.
    (It's actually part of a spreadsheet with all my perfumes, but the BPAL part is the only one that's up to date)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice