Thread ownership

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by rigorist, Jul 30, 2015.

1. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Are we going to do the "OP owns the thread" thing here?

• Like x 1
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I would say depends. I think in personal threads, meaning adivce or ITA threads, the OP gets to direct the conversation within reason. But say, Fan Town threads less so? "I don´t want drama in my fan thread, if you wanna talk drama make one in FID" seems like a reasonable kind of request, but I´m biased there.

3. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I kind of feel like when you make a thread, you do so with the intention of gaining other viewpoints, whether they be similar to your own or not.

Kind of death of the author, if I'm using that term right.

If there is drama and it's disrupting discussion, I think it's up to anyone, really, to point that out and go "is this helping discussion or should we put this elsewhere and tag the involved parties?"

But, personally, I don't think the OP can, say, kick people out of a thread.

Admittedly, I have little to no knowledge of basic forum etiquette, and maybe there is an established method elsewhere. *shrug*

• Like x 5
  4. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

I generally hope not. I've adopted a thread ownership attitude in the past, so I understand the feelings behind it, but in all honesty it did me no good, nor the discussion, nor the board.

5. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I think thread ownership wouldn't be a great idea here. We seem to mostly trundle along on the idea that we're being backed up by the rest of us and that conventions arise via consensus rather than being imposed by individuals. I do think that perhaps the OP can, in the first post, set some guidelines regarding the thread, so that other people can choose whether to participate or make a competing thread with alternate guidelines, but "ownership" I think gives a concentration of power that we might not want here, at least with regards to non-personal threads.

6. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

In general, no. I did delete kiji's "i think it's all in my head" thread by request, but that was not some kind of general policy, just an off-the-cuff judgment call.

7. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

well, we're not going to start having Rules And Protocols, so in that sense, no.

but i do think that the thread starter can have some reasonable expectation that their stated intentions in creating the thread will get some respect from people posting in it. for instance, the complaints department thread, which luka started to archive receipts; when he asked that people not do substantial digressions debating the ethics of the situation, i felt it was fair for him to ask that, and created the ethics committee thread to move that discussion to.

honestly, i figure it's going to be a case by case basis thing, and we can't really make a general call.

• Like x 8
  8. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

As an example, though, I've seen people on other forums do things like demand that a thread be deleted because their claims got rebutted, or closed because people disagreed with them, and usually I am not inclined to support such requests.

9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

yeah, concur. "please move this off topic discussion to its own thread" is fairly reasonable. "close/delete this thread because people disagreed" is not.

• Like x 2
  10. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Yep, if an argument or group of people have taken a thread in directions that aren't in line with the original discussion, I feel like anyone can go "hey, please move this discussion somewhere else"
    Or maybe anyone involved in the discussion? Nah. Hmm. (Etiquette is Hard).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice