1. We've been a little overwhelmed with the rate of moderator activity lately, and @rigel drew the short straw. Congratudolences are appreciated, or you could give generously to the memorial fund for his sanity.
    Dismiss Notice

Time To Swarm (Insecticon Lore)

Discussion in 'Dramatis Transformae' started by Codeless, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Paging @Loq for bug nerding.

CodyCat-Today at 5:49 PM
    this is true!
    was having thoughts on why there mare maker bugs and warrior bugs, instrad of just worked and maybe drones like in a real insect hive
    IvyLB-Today at 5:50 PM
    probably since it's more specialized stuff that needs more education?
    like engineering is different from just "barf up papermache to build house" <- probably gross misunderstanding of how beehives work
    CodyCat-Today at 5:51 PM
    hehe
    that´wasps for one .P
    IvyLB-Today at 5:51 PM
    shit
    SHIT I O IN THE SHAMECORNER XP
    but yeah i feel like while makerbug and warriorbug is like... partially actual frame specs, it's also sort of an education/apprenticeship based descriptor
    CodyCat-Today at 5:53 PM
    But ye what I was thinking was, insects use 100% of ther manpower (bugpower?) to protect the hive and find resources for the hive and take care of the hive. Due to being built as soldiers, insecticons do not. The warriors, especially the tanks who would be closest in type to drones can protects it, and scouts, but also everyone else can gather resources. But they will not have enough time to build as much as they need, and they need to take care fo their sick and injured. So you have makerbugs, who do not fight, but build stuff.
    and ye
    makerbugs are also so there is someone to keep the swam alive if most or all warriors get killed
    i´d think
    IvyLB-Today at 5:56 PM
    yea makes sense
    basically due to their unique circumstances and origins they have a different... focus?
    CodyCat-Today at 5:56 PM
    yep
    and need to fill in some spaces to make a hive viable.

• Like x 2
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

loq-Yesterday at 7:59 PM
    [shuffles tactile insecticons back into the hive]
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 7:59 PM
    pffffffff
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:00 PM
    I Mean
    cuddlebugs
    (Also sprocket seems to have a Thing for warbuilds)
    loq-Yesterday at 8:01 PM
    can't blame him :P
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:01 PM
    Meanwhile sprocket, the bigass insecticon, who thinks of himself as quite small
    he is compared to a warrior build
    loq-Yesterday at 8:03 PM
    same to thunder :P
    "what do you mean we're big, we're not big"
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:04 PM
    "I can show you big. Warleader Krrchkrrr is Big, not us!"
    (Warleader is title i pulled out of my ass. Might mean general? or just the boss of the tanks/drones)
    loq-Yesterday at 8:07 PM
    my brain just keeps going "warleader is warleader" and that's. not helpful
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:07 PM
    darling bugs you gotta explain!
    loq-Yesterday at 8:07 PM
    like. not quite tactician bc that implies staying out of the fight, but. someone experienced enough and sturdy enough to have good ideas and instincts on the battlefield?
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:08 PM
    that makes sense
    ..literally leader of war, as in the commander of the vanguard maybe?
    Petra-Yesterday at 8:08 PM
    brb getting food
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:08 PM
    cya petra
    i coudl see literal bugs being literal
    loq-Yesterday at 8:09 PM
    ye
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:13 PM
    (On the topic, corponok has a really good design in RID)
    Ok so we have the Warleader commanding the vanguard, the Head engineer runs specifically the engineer makers (Not the medic makers)
    Loq oyu mentioned a Speaker
    someone responsible for standardformer wrangling?
    loq-Yesterday at 8:14 PM
    ye
    probably a whole lil gaggle of them rather than just one, it would be such a pain in the ass to be the Only customer service Representative forever
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:15 PM
    hehe
    very fair
    (There is not at all a Fancy Title in insecticon that really just means Speaker To Idiots. Itßs not evne a real title just something used to impress especially snooty standardformers)
    loq-Yesterday at 8:17 PM
    snrk, fair
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:17 PM
    like Speaker is a real title
    Speaker To Idiots is for trolling.
    (Bugging?)
    loq-Yesterday at 8:18 PM
    pfffffff
    IvyLB-Yesterday at 8:23 PM
    dfghjk
    hm
    distinction between guards and more general warriors is something that was floated iirc
    what if the Captain of the Guard is literally just called "The Gate"
    loq-Yesterday at 8:24 PM
    yes
    IvyLB-Yesterday at 8:24 PM
    he stays at the Gate so he is the gate
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:24 PM
    i don´t remember it before but woud make sense
    loq-Yesterday at 8:25 PM
    guards to stay with hive while the rest of the warrior swarm flies off to do battle
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:25 PM
    also the first tp be unfrozen
    to guard the makerbugs who come next and unfreeze everyone else
    loq-Yesterday at 8:25 PM
    ??
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:26 PM
    in tfp, we first meet insecticons all in stasis pods
    loq-Yesterday at 8:26 PM
    ah
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:26 PM
    i assume this is a way to save resources on long trips
    where there is no where to gather more from
    loq-Yesterday at 8:26 PM
    ye, that would make sense
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:29 PM
    also tentatively, engineers are makers, medics are fixers?
    loq-Yesterday at 8:29 PM
    ye that works
    IvyLB-Yesterday at 8:30 PM
    ye!
    loq-Yesterday at 8:30 PM
    (tiny giggles: how do teach new scouts not to eat everything they're supposed to be bringing back to the hive???)
    IvyLB-Yesterday at 8:31 PM
    awwww
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:31 PM
    awww. look sad at them?
    IvyLB-Yesterday at 8:32 PM
    i mean they probably learn the first time they do it that flying on an overfull tank is hard af xP
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:33 PM
    that too
    also the makers look sad at you
    IvyLB-Yesterday at 8:34 PM
    i feel like makers have perfected the puppybug eyes
    CodyCat-Yesterday at 8:34 PM
    hehe
    yes.
    (So have warriors sprocket tells me)
    (Especially if they want a new toy built)

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

@Loq if we say insecticons get sparks for being very good bugs, how do thy get them?

4. Loq

Loq cursed blue crab pincher

Primus just drops them into hives sometimes
    I'd imagine handlers aren't completely clueless by now-- if you want more bugs and they don't have to be too smart, just dump a shipment of frozen sparks in the hive and they'll do all the work for you. Naturally this would've stopped when the other MTO projects did, for lack of supply, but...

• Like x 2
  5. Sprocket

Sprocket The One Who Makes Stuff Go

Makes sense. Of course jokes on you handler re: smart.

Thing which would be neat: If hives established in hot spot growing planets wound up growing their own hotspot. No bug is surprised by this. Of course the ground gives them new sparks!

(What if, while it takes much longer, space hives got hotspots too. Takes enough cybertronian metal and dead sparks for them to become viable so much much longer than a hive on cybertron)

• Like x 2
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Oops. you know what this is appropriate.

7. Loq

Yes to all of that :p

• Like x 1
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Are walls for eating? And other hot insecticon debates.

The nursery bugs put tasty food near the eggs to entice the newsparks out. (I´m imagining sodium and maybe rust and other tasties gelled together into big balls that can be stuck on the outside of eggs.)
    Also make a liquid out of energon and sodium and metals that is tasty and squirt it into and under the opening mechanism where it gels so the newspark will open his egg while eating.

Newsparks float in an energon/metal/mineral solution in their eggs.

• Like x 1
  9. Loq

Linguistic Nerding: different verb tenses/conjugations/whatever for referring to an indiviual or the swarm as a whole
    The verb thunder is using there would be "your whole swarm goes" as opposed to "you [sprocket] specifically go"
    [swarm-whole] subset being another instance of awkward not-quite-plural we see in other mindlinked transformer cultural frameworks like licentan and devisen

• Like x 2
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

About your thought that new bugs don´t know how to Bug Yell, so they make squeak roars like kittens:
    Wondering if there is a difference between Fite Holler and Distress Screm as well.

• Like x 2
  11. Loq

Absolutely, even if standards can't tell the difference

12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I think they could if it was explained to them, but they´d ya know, have to ask. Or listen a lot. Distress Screm Might have more shrill metal screech sounds in it

• Agree x 1
  13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

@Loq A thought on the classes and the how of them: What if after a certain stage, the Newsparks still in eggs are actually somewhat aware of their surroundings, and the job of the caretakers fixers includes talking the them and specifically teaching them and showing them the different jobs in the swarm. The intended result of this being a less fucked up variation of the protoform forming obrizon does, because they are shown all the options and encouraged to form into the one that best suits them.
    Fine detail however is modded in later over the course of education, like whether someone wants to be a Maker or a Fixer. Of the fighting classes, the classic tanks stay in the longest because the need to grow the biggest.

• Like x 2
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

also things I'm noticing drawing Sprockets feet and side view: He is not made for walking on flat ground really, much more for climbing. when he does walk on flat, he generally uses his inner pair of hands as feet and walks four legged. (Same for other makers obviously. Not sure atm how fixers differ from makers, though i would assume they are similarly delicate and six limbed)

• Like x 2
  15. Loq

@IvyLB it's time to freak Unicron out again :P

CodyCat: Loq, how do oyu think insecticons call Unicron?
    i feel like they do know him what with their eat everything ability

Loq: ... huh
    Idk
    But yeah, that makes sense
    Void, maybe?
    Maybe he doesn't have a name
    He's just... Him
    (He eats everything, even His own name)

CodyCat: hehehe
    Ivy is asleep but i wonder how grumpy unicron would be if he got associatated with caretaking because he allows them to eat, therefore feeding them

Loq: pfffff
    He even has the same armor aesthetic as bigbugs

CodyCat: Yes

Loq: Congrats Unicron you have worshippers
    More worshippers

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  16. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I love this idea. Poor uni xP

17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

He will be affectioned at and there´s nothing he can do about it!

18. IvyLB

Unicron is the most longsuffering bratty emo kid in all of history. GOD KID STOP HUGGING ME IN PUBLIC. PEOPEL WILL THINK I LIKE SOMETHING ABOUT LIFE. UGH.

• Like x 2
  19. Petra

Petra space case

Lacuna is the worst for his Tough Antigod Cred.

20. IvyLB

Well at least she's pink so she looks like an edgy hardass when she isn't cuddling people xP

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice