To Boldly Split Infinitives (star trek thread!)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by peripheral, Jul 23, 2016.

1. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

I don't know if we have a Star Trek thread, but here is one.

I just watched Star Trek: Beyond.
    And:
    1: you can tell this is was written by a star trek fan
    There are so many little things- like Chekhov repeating his lines from near the beginning of Trouble With Tribbles.

2: no forced romance between Scotty and Jaylah. There's some ship potential there but it's never made explocit.

3:actual believable spock/uhura

4: I officially now ship Spock/Kirk/McCoy/Uhura. HELP ME.

5: I love this movie so much oh my god. Can I marry Idris Elba, and Jaylah.

6: Continuity between the three movies

7: GAYS. IN SPACE.

8: no dead space gays either!

9: Spock and McCoy being magical.

10: So much little nods to TOS. I may have already said that

*screams*

I love this so much I might actually write fic.

*screams*

• Like x 4
  2. peripheral

And more general star trek fangirling:

I have to admit that I love TOS, TNG, DS9 (the little i've seen) and VOY equally. I haven't watched any Voyager, though I suppose I should, but just. :) :) :) :) to everything about this show.

I mean of course TOS has it's (massive, glaring) issues, and it is so obviously made on a budget consisting of some string and potted plant but just.

It was baby's second fandom, first real slash ship, and just general introduction into proper fandom. (Then came Harry Potter, which was a whole 'nother thing)

And it's always interesting cause like, my history teacher is old enough to have played Star Trek imaginary games as it was coming out.

• Like x 4
  3. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

i was literally actually raised on star trek (tng & voyager mostly) but i was a kid and i didn't pay super close attention to it, but that shit is like encoded into my DNA man. when we went to go see the first reboot film at the end when they do the "space....the final frontier" i looked at my mom and started dramatically quoting it along with my dad at her and she was very confused and a little uncomfortable. so yeah. star trek. man.

i want to actually sit down and watch them seriously one of these days, just because i think i actually have the attention span to appreciate them now. my dad re-watches the series on netflix sometimes, and even just hearing the show in the background- it's like a lullaby to me at this point.

• Like x 3
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I basically binged all of TOS and most of the movies one time. It was the best thing ever and I strongly questioned why I had never watched Star Trek before then. My life was just so empty before I knew about that dog with a carpet on it and dealy boppers put on its head and the glue guns that are totally phasers what are you talking about.

• Like x 1
  5. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Voyager is my franchise really. Seven of Nine was my favourite as a kid, but then when I rewatched when I was older I also loved B'lanna :-)

6. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

When they had everyone in the bridge crew voice the final frontier monologue at the end I BURST OUT SOBBING THIS IS EVERYTHING I WANTED

And playing music as a weapon in the final battle made me fucking weak. Sabotage has had the power to fill me with determination/make me cry ever since the 2009 movie and hearing it blasted into space like that was just. I need this on DVD stat so I can hold it close and keep it forever.

• Like x 3
  7. peripheral

After the movie I shouted "IT WAS FROM THE FIRST MOVIE" in the general direction of my dad I was so excited.

• Like x 1
  8. coldstars

I did the exact same with my own dad, we were so pumped! Shit I love Star Trek!

• Like x 1
  9. peripheral

Its so great.
    I just.
    Its been a few days now since I've seen it and just thinking about it again makes me super hype.

• Like x 1
  10. peripheral

Can we appreciate the space husbands

11. coldstars

So much appreciation. I have seen people talking about how cool it would be if Sulu and his husband and daughter had a greenhouse on Yorktown, or if Sulu took their daughter to fencing lessons, and to be honest I dearly wish that the movie had scenes like that because I would have cried even more than I already was ;-;

• Like x 2
  12. peripheral

I now must write this fanfic eventually on top of the space husbands fic I already wrote.

Gays! In space!

• Like x 1
  13. Choco

so i just got back from the theater, finally watched beyond and i just

*insert twenty minutes of scream crying that im not gonna transcribe here*

and then

*ten more minutes*

AND I JUST

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Like x 3
  14. peripheral

I KNOW RIGHT

• Like x 2
  15. Choco

i literally can't decide which part i was more hyped for but i want the next film in my eyeballs immediately

also

how hard did y'all cry at the part with the photo of the original cast, and the "For Anton" at the credits? oh my god

• Like x 3
  16. coldstars

Sorry if this isn't the place, but I just remembered jAnon's Observations is a thing that exists in all of its tear-inducing; literary glory, and I really need to archive it and the annotations so it never vanishes from my life. Fuck. That's classic literature, not just classic Star Trek fic, and I can't recommend it highly enough

• Like x 1
  17. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

a delightful post just went by on my dash
    tumblr user onetobeamup added:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    • Like x 8
  18. peripheral

Yes perfect.
    All of it.
    Emotionally repressed vulcans are my JAM

• Like x 3
  19. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

YES HELLO I AM HERE FOR THE VULCANS

My boyfriend took me through all of Star Trek in in-universe chronological order (Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager), sans the reboot movies. I immediately latched onto Enterprise's T'pol and it was all over. They are just. The most relatable people. Watching Enterprise first probably didn't help that at all, considering how much Vulcan development it fit in there. Ever since that series whenever a Vulcan was on the screen I would go 'VULCAN' and get really happy and honestly please just leave me in the dumpster I'm so happy being Vulcan trash.

And then when TNG rolled around I latched onto Data, and when DS9 rolled up I latched onto Odo, so honestly I think the takeaway here is I relate to the weird aliens who don't Get human emotions and culture and relationships. (ALSO: SEVEN OF NINE???)

Also: Garak is a Very Complex And Interesting Character for a perfectly average tailor.

• Like x 6
  20. peripheral

I need to actually watch more through everything.
    But Spock has always been the person I identify with.
    For reasons

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice