Today I Learned

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oph, Oct 24, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

2. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

So I've known for a while that octopodes being able to change color to match their surroundings is weird because they seem to be colorblind: their eyes don't seem to have the necessary cells for detecting color.
    TIL that perhaps the resolution of this oddity is that an octopus' skin actually has photoreceptors, although it's not clear if these cells are hooked up to the brain or if they are part of an independent cognitive system. But the color changing thing is still weird, because the skin also seems to be colorblind.
    Source

• Informative x 3
    • Winner x 1
  3. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

Today I learned why you are supposed to feed crickets to beardies outside their tank. Apparently part of mines supper has been living in his driftwood log and has grown large enough to begin mating and keeping me up at night with their chirping.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Winner x 2
  4. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

TIL that there is a type of independent computer program called a Daemon. Your system is running them right now. The line between technology and magic grows ever blurrier.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

TIL the largest pigeon breed is called the giant runt.

• Winner x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

that "GUESS WHO JUST GOT MURDERED" did not actually originate from the fic that pissed me off!!!!

• Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  8. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I learned lateral movement in sword fighting by getting into a drunken bitchslap fight. I'm much better at it when wasted.

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  9. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

They just... made their own internet. Underground internet. Wild.

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  10. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

This week I learned that Earth is a Fusion and I'm still shook

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Like, 5 or so billion years ago proto-earth was a mostly molten ball of rock much much smaller that it is today until an entirely different planet the size of Mars came out of fucking nowhere and plowed directly into proto-earth like a game of galactic pool. (it's name was Theia) this basically liquefied both planets, which re-formed into the Earth we know today as well as our moon, which is why the Moon is proportionally huge compared to the other planets' moons in our system.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

today i learned that Alexander Graham Bell thought that the standard telephone greeting should be "Ahoy hoy." (Thomas Edison popularized "Hello" as a phone greeting.)

i also learned that my favorite Simpsons reference is even funnier than i ever imagined.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  13. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

DLLc9QKWkAI6QTn.jpg large.jpg
    I'm laughing. Final Fantasy II, everyone. :::')))

EDIT: Source.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Did you read Caesar's Last Breath?

15. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

no, wassat

16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Sam Kean's latest book. It's about gases! IIRC, there's a section about the development of Earth in there and that's where I first read in detail about the whole Theia thing.

• Informative x 1
  17. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

neat! I'll have to check it out.

18. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

TIL that the main problem with the Bohr planetary model of the atom is not necessarily that he thought that electrons orbited the nucleus like planets orbiting the sun, but rather that he (and Sommerfield after him) firmly believed that electrons can't pass through the nucleus, and thus missed an entire set of orbitals, throwing off his energy and angular momentum computations. Source

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
  19. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Today I learned that goldfish do not actually have stomachs! They only have intestines, so their food passes straight through with a considerably shorter digestion period. (This makes sense to me because I already knew the mass amount of waste they output, I just didn't know why.)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  20. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

Huh, that makes sense. Also, they hear with their swim bladders!

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice