Transformers Draw thread (It's kibblicious)

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by mizushimo, Aug 18, 2016.

1. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

Artist: Wow, this fandom is so great, look at all these amazing characters
    Artist: ...how the heck do I draw these handsome stacks of colorful legos.
    Artist: Seriously, my previous experience with drawing robots is to put rivets and seams on a normal looking person. How????

Drawing robots is hard, and no one understands. Post your robot draw attempts hear, all skill levels welcome. Lets learn about improbably robot anatomy together.

RHETORICAL QUESTION OF THE WEEK
    Does Rodimus smack himself in the head with his shoulder stacks if he raises his arm up close to his head?

• Like x 4
  2. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Impractical shoulders for everyone. Just off the top of my head-- Skids?, Fort Max, Ratchet... canon designs, especially for those with tanky-type or boxy alt modes, favor cube- or rectangle-based limbs, which do not actually lend well to humanoid shoulder articulation :P

I will probably dump a pile of OC sketches here when I can be assed to upload and collect all of them.

• Like x 2
  3. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Have the ones you drew for me of the genericons in the meantime, @Loq. =P
    genericon speedsters by loq.png genericon skydrop by loq.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    • Like x 4
  4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

*pokes head into thread* one day I will. actually scan the ridiculous number of sketches of OCs I have. and it will be awesome.
    though most of my designs tend towards sleek and rounded or spiky :P

• Like x 2
  5. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

so today's a day off of art for me because i finished my all-summer project of getting prints ready for artist alley, but i did pick up my tablet, try to draw knockout for approximately two minutes, and then give up for the rest of the day

more thorough attempts forthcoming tomorrow

• Like x 3
  6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

IMPORTANT RODIMUS NONRHETORICAL ANSWER: his shoulder spoilers actually rotate up to 180 degrees vertically backwards, mostly staying parallel to his body. While they can rotate horizontally, this is usually 45 degrees or less.

How they don't run into his spoiler on his back is a fukkin mystery.

(I will dump Real Pics when I get home, but might throw up some sloppy sketchbook junk in the meantime. I will also try and hint down a fantastic tutorial on hiw to design transformers OCs!)

edit: Also whenever I get home, I can dump my reference screenshot folders into a drive or something. Noting a canon design for OC building is handy, and I have nearly 360 views of a couple characters.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    • Like x 8
  7. KingStarscream

Douple posting to drop that OC tutorial link. I start with the alt mode instead, because I think that informs a lot of the designs, but this has some interesting thoughts re: complex kibble and the way shapes flow through designs.

• Like x 4
  8. IvyLB

actually: have a webcam picture of one of my OCs posing like a pretty pretty mess
    TPhoto_00202.jpg TPhoto_00203.jpg

• Like x 4
  9. mizushimo

You can always use your phone, thats what i do.

The thing about roddy's shoulder stacks is that they never change position, no matter what angle his arm is at (even though they should, because his shoulder joint is underneath the unflexible form of the stack, they should move backward every time he extends his arm out in front of him.). Preserving Roddy's sillouette > anatomical logic.

The reference folder woukd certainly help! I have over a hundred pics of rodimus for a project if anyone is interested.

MY PICS. here's some pics of various characters. I copied from the comics. It's one step above tracing but ehhh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My friend requested tailgate punching out cyclonus. The bae doesnt know his own strength

10. mizushimo

I feel this, here's my attempt. The face is....ok, thr rest is pure frustration.
    20160821_005320.jpg

• Like x 3
  11. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

i'm gonna crosspost my idiots at some point, but one thing that took a lot of time in the pic i did of tailgate: THE HANDS
    more specifically, the fingers
    dear unicron primus the fingers. such much fiddly bits. i refuse to believe they arent wedged somehow because how else do they work.

for my own i start with the alt mode as well b/c i want the transformations sensible and actually working if i ever get my hands on a 3d printer to make them.
    but i'm also the kind of person who tries to cover joints as well as i can because joints are weak points that need protected from rogue flying bits
    (i cry a little bit every time i see open joints in comic)

• Like x 2
  12. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

plz dump reference, gathering refs is my least favorite thing of drawing, already having refs would be amazing ;^;

• Like x 1
  13. IvyLB

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    • Like x 3
  14. IvyLB

Then, because I apparently have been drawing them a liiiiiiittle more, hah. SO they get their own section :P
    Scanner 1 & 2
    Sensorsweep 1 & 2

• Like x 2
  15. IvyLB

• Like x 4
  16. KingStarscream

Since we have the thread set up now: venture forth into DT robot land oh god so many robots.

And here's an old Starscream from when I was first trying out square brushes.
    [​IMG]

I haven't done that google drive of reference images, but for Rodimus specifically, have a couple back and side views that really help with his spoilers and such. Please ignore my awful filenames.
    good spoiler reference.PNG bakci rod.PNG listen.jpg MMM BOY SPREAD DEM LEGS.PNG HES SO SAD.png HOT A WHAT HABAIBAIBBAITBAT.PNG rodi back part boogaloo.PNG rodi side.PNG toldimus.PNG

• Like x 5
    • Useful x 1
  17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hey does anyone know how to simplify down complex canon robot design for quick sketches and sillyness?

18. IvyLB

I'd say go mostly for Major shapes and Identifying details?
    Kinda like the christmas special did it. Not every wire needs to be put in and details can be alluded to. As long as the sillhouette is identifiable enough you should be good?

• Like x 1
  19. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

If you can track down any artists with a cartoony style you like, I'd say shamelessly imitate the way they simplify until you get the feel of it into your fingers :P I'm still working on doing that thing, but that's going to be the only way I'll be able to do a semi-serious picture without it taking days and days.

life goals: something as loose and ridiculous and funny as bonnini's casa megop :')

• Like x 1
  20. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any reference pictures for Drift's back?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice