1. We've been a little overwhelmed with the rate of moderator activity lately, and @rigel drew the short straw. Congratudolences are appreciated, or you could give generously to the memorial fund for his sanity.
    Dismiss Notice

Trauma-safe(r) therapy resources?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by palindromordnilap, Mar 14, 2019.

1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

So, of course, everyone's issues with that are different, so if anyone else has different mental health and trauma problems from mine that interact in a different way with therapy, you're welcome to also ask about it here.

At the moment, I've been trying to look into DBT. The problem with that, aside from executive dysfunction (I have extremely low spoons and am currently trying to spend them on stuff like not forgetting to apply for college for next year), is mainly trauma-related. First of all, I just don't feel safe around therapists at all and am hypersensitive to what pings me as manipulation tactics (and DBT is just full of those), and secondly, I ended up with dissociation issues - which, if people such as these are to be believed, is contraindicative for traditional mindfulness exercises. This is also the case for psychosis and paranoia, both of which I've had issues with in the past.
    So basically, what I'm asking here is: since everyone seems to agree this is what I need to do, and cherry-picking safe practices from it would be bad, what is the best way to either avoid these issues or get over them quickly enough?

2. palindromordnilap

3. palindromordnilap

Other bump that could hopefully get approved early enough to be in the new posts sidebar thing?

4. latitans

latitans fake fan

So, I can only speak for myself, but—I don’t think that I could ever answer this question for you, because I’m not a trained therapist or psychiatrist, and even if I were, I’ve never treated you as a patient. So I’m not able to do anything other than guess, yknow? And in the past, you’ve seemed dismissive or upset by people’s guesses, because they don’t seem like they’ll help. I think a similar thing might happen here, because in my (pretty extensive) experience as a patient in the US mental health system, in in-patient, out-patient, and regular therapy contexts, DBT is the go-to trauma sensitive therapy option. Individual people practice DBT differently, of course. But the issues that DBT is designed to help with are often very tightly tied to trauma, and the treatment reflects that in my opinion.

• Agree x 2
  5. palindromordnilap

Yeah, sorry for being angry about the people avoiding this thread, it's probably a reasonable reaction to have.

My problem is specifically that I've got trauma around therapy in general, and that the last several times I tried DBT, it was made pretty much impossible by that. Not only that, but there are elements of it which make me uncomfortable anyway, notably the aspects that feel kinda cultish, what with the way you're supposed to dedicate most of your day to mindfulness stuff and how it just feels like it's intended to make you think a specific way about everything, even if not directly related to emotional regulation.

This is nothing new, it's what I say every single time someone asks me why I don't do DBT. What is new is that I'm pretty sure since I've identified the problem, there have to be ways around it, and that is precisely what I'm asking for in this thread.

6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

No experience with DBT here, but my uninformed suspicion is that Step 1 would probably be to tell the therapist about your history with and concerns about it, and exactly what you react badly to. Getting your therapist on board from the start about what you're worried about, what you want, and why is almost certainly going to be more effective than trying to strategize in advance about what kind of therapy to ask for, and make it easier to say no if they cross a line you don't want them to cross. Plus, if you're worried about getting a bad therapist, it might be a good acid test: if they seem at all condescending or dismissive, you can say "I don't think this is going to work out" and look for a different one.

• Useful x 1
  7. palindromordnilap

Well, one of the issues I have is that due to my current living situation, I can't access in-person professional therapy - aside from psychoanalysis, that is, but that isn't really that useful at all. That's likely to change by the end of this year, which is great, but in the mean time I'm trying to figure out how to handle things with other resources, either self-help or online therapy.
    ... Actually, I guess I should have mentioned that in the first post, because that sounds pretty important to know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice